Ľ Fishing Forum
  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Salmon Lake Ontario set up?
Mike Burke
Posted: Oct 08, 2018 - 02:52 pm

Egg

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 16388

Hey gang! Newbie here. Iím looking for some tips on gear and boat setup to fish salmon on the Canadian side. Just bought an old boat with no electronics or riggers. Just starting out so I donít want to break the bank. But I would like to catch a few fish with my 7 year old son next summer. Any tips or things to stay away from would be appreciated! Iím a bass guy but want to learn how to fish Lake Ontario itís 20 mins away from me!
Thanks everyone
Mike

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
sdcaller
Posted: Oct 08, 2018 - 04:20 pm

World Record Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 67

Nice looking boat.

In my mind, you will be half way there when you get a couple of good electric downriggers and a good sonar!

That way you know what depth the fish are at and you can get down to them. Use 10lb or 12lb cannonballs.

After that, the skies the limit on what you can spend on rods, reels and lures. I keep it pretty simple with the rods. I use 9ft Ugly Sticks. When I'm trolling with them, I use a couple of level wind reels and spinning reels when I'm casting.

I have lots of (read too many) salmon spoons, a couple of dipsey divers and a dozen flashers in different colors.

I fish when the wind and weather are favorable and I get enough fish using this approach, wether it is Lake O salmon, Lake Simcoe lakers or GB salmon/steelhead.

Don't forget a big landing net.

Read all you can about methods and gear and that will put you on the right track.

SDC

PMEmail Poster
Bayliner
Posted: Oct 08, 2018 - 06:26 pm

World Record Trout
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 22

I'd be freshening up those registration numbers.

PMEmail Poster
Mike Burke
Posted: Oct 08, 2018 - 06:57 pm

Egg

Lol I hear that! Already off waiting on the new ones!

PMEmail Poster
Mike Burke
Posted: Oct 08, 2018 - 07:00 pm

Egg

Thanks for taking the time! Would of been fun trying to lip a salmon without a big net! What kind of finder do you run? Iím used to bass fishing so depth was never a priority? Any finders to stay away from or which ones can you recommend?

PMEmail Poster
sdcaller
Posted: Oct 08, 2018 - 07:23 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 67

I use a Humminbird Helix 5-basic unit, nothing fancy and I have a Garmin GPS I use as well. The GPS is portable so that I can use it for ice fishing as well.

I have 2 Scotty electric downriggers on my boat--They are about 18 years old, but still work great.

SDC

PMEmail Poster
Icemanjay
Posted: Oct 08, 2018 - 08:21 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 13620

You can start really simple, even a manual rigger and a couple of rods with dipsey divers will catch you fish! I bought okuma rod and reel combos which were the cheapest deal where I went. You really donít have to go crazy on a fish finder either, as long as you can see the general depths fish are sitting at. Grab a few spoons and maybe a couple of fly set ups. You donít need to go crazy with tackle, you will collect as you go, just like bass fishing as Iím sure you must know. Iíll give you a hint, grab a couple of black spoons, they work good out there.

PMEmail Poster
Chuck Enwinde
Posted: Oct 10, 2018 - 11:29 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 6034

As in former Spartan standout Mike Burke? Nice looking rig. I tried to send you a pm re: getting it rigged for fishing but I think you have to have 5 posts before you can receive them.

PMEmail Poster
awbringl
Posted: Oct 11, 2018 - 08:00 am

Parr Trout

Member No.: 7052

I also have a Helix 5 with the GPS, down imaging, and navionics chip...but you don't necessarily need that to get started. Pretty sure the Helix 5 basic fishfinders (which are great) are on sale at Cdn Tire right now.

I run 2 Canon manuals and they are great for me. 2ft per crank. Most of my fishing is done between 45 to 65 ft down and I typically don't need to drop a ball deeper than 80-100 ft. So, they get down smoothly and can come up in about 30 seconds. Friends have electrics with auto-stop, which are certainly nice. I go out with them in their boats when I want to be pampered....

Start with a simple selection of spoons and Lymans in differing colours. I fish GBay not Lake O, so can't suggest hot colours down there but I'm sure your local tackle shop can make recommendations.

Find the thermocline, locate the fish, set your presentation above them and enjoy with your 7 yr old.

PMEmail Poster
oogie8
Posted: Oct 11, 2018 - 07:40 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 8485

I would also add a 10 colour lead core set up, inexpensive and effective, also a good workout regime, lol

PMEmail Poster
centerspin
Posted: Oct 12, 2018 - 10:58 am

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 347

You want a fishfinder with GPS + depth map so you cant record your tracks and waypoints for future trips and have an idea of bottom depth/structures around you. You want to have an ability to fish all depths early to a mid season, so to have one inline planar/ one leadcore and one dipsy is a good idea. For that its is worth investing in a couple of good rod holders, preferably ratchet type Berts or cannons b/c all of these presentations require different angles /directions. On Lake O is allowing 2 rods per angler so on a slow day it is worth trying it all
hih

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Great Lakes
Fishing forum for the Great Lakes & Area. Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Discussions & More. Featuring Ice Hut Rentals, Accommodations, Bait & Tackle shops, Marinas and Fishing Guides. The best fishing in the Great Lakes!

Marketplace