Fishing Forum  Fishing Regs  
 Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Sturgeon - Aug 18/18, Toothy critters were hangry!
Skippy
Posted: Aug 18, 2018 - 09:07 pm

Fry

Group: Members
Member No.: 12923

Alright - had a full day on the water today.

Targeting bass and was a little concerned after reading some of the recent posts about the bite being off - just hoping I do OK...

Launched at one of my favorite spots early in the morning - low light so I decided to try some top water for a bit - nothing doing. That's OK, I have a squarebill tied on so I can try for a reaction bite - nada. No problem - I still have a black & blue jig and a green pumpkin ned rig - whip them around for a bit - still nothing. Nearly two hours in - uh oh things are not looking good...

Go through my box and see what to change up - I have some Roboworms (blue and orange) - why not - way different than anything else I was throwing. Texas rigged one up and cast it around. Got a few nibbles and one dink.

Switch it up a little bit replace the green pumpkin ned rig with a small brown and orange tube cast around for a few minutes and start getting bit - some smallies mostly 12-14 inches. Good start, but the bites aren't what I'm expecting. I'm barely able to feel it - most times I'm just feeling extra weight when I go to move the bait and setting the hook. They're liking the bait though - most fish have inhaled it and 3 ended up being hooked deep (managed to remove the hooks and release all fish)

OK, I've found some fish, but the size isn't great - I have some swimbaits that I like to use - maybe I can get a bigger bass to come out and play. First cast running over a weedbed and I get hammered. Not a bass, but I'll take it - healthy little musky.
OK - let's try that again - cast out again and immediately get hammered again - still not a bass - walleye (middle of the sunny day).
Now I've fished this spot many times in the last couple of years and don't recall ever having caught a walleye here during the day.

I did eventually manage some more bass and one of them had in its gullet a crawfish - brown with some blue. I tried to get a picture, but it didn't turn out... tied on a peanut butter & jelly bait and did pretty well in the afternoon.

Overall - boated 3 muskies, 3 mid-day walleyes, 25-30 SMB - no LMB were found today through.

Interestingly my normally productive green pumpkin or similar colours had minimal action today. PB&J, Molting Craw and Silver Shiner were the big winners for me.

I will attach some pics below.

PMEmail Poster
Skippy
Posted: Aug 18, 2018 - 09:08 pm

Fry

Musky #1 - 11:37am

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
Skippy
Posted: Aug 18, 2018 - 09:09 pm

Fry

Musky #2 - 2:35pm

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
Skippy
Posted: Aug 18, 2018 - 09:10 pm

Fry

Musky #3 - 4:30pm

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
Skippy
Posted: Aug 18, 2018 - 09:11 pm

Fry

Probably the best SMB of my day 16 inches - side view.

This was the one with the craw in its gullet...

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
Skippy
Posted: Aug 18, 2018 - 09:11 pm

Fry

SMB - belly

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
Attila
Posted: Aug 18, 2018 - 10:31 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 11988

Ya, it was a miniature musky madness kind of day as the cold front shut down any smallie topwater bite...I had 2 of them go after my bait and almost put their entire body out of the water...reminded me of great white sharks going after seals...lol

Nice fish and good for you for putting a plan together!

PMEmail Poster
Ice
Posted: Aug 18, 2018 - 10:33 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 7713

Very nice looking catch.

PMEmail Poster
Hank Jr
Posted: Aug 19, 2018 - 06:50 am

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 6860

Thanks for the report sounds like you had a pretty good day . Glad to see some small Muskies showing up on Sturgeon .

PMEmail Poster
MikeyLovesMuskies
Posted: Aug 19, 2018 - 10:53 am

Adult Trout

Member No.: 14137

Great job especially out of a kayak.

Seems like you had a fun-filled day

PMEmail Poster
shagdrrotten6969
Posted: Aug 19, 2018 - 02:39 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 153

Great work there , nice colours and striping.

PMEmail Poster
argoholic
Posted: Aug 27, 2018 - 07:36 am

Egg

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 16178

That would have been a fun day for sure. I've only caught two muskies in my life while fishing for pan fish once from shore and a real surprise through the ice. Beautiful looking fish.

PMEmail Poster
Chad
Posted: Aug 27, 2018 - 08:11 pm

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 13508

Love that you get it all done from the kayak. Nice goin!

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Kawartha Lakes
Fishing forum for the Kawartha Lakes & Area. Rice Lake, Lake Scugog, Sturgeon Lake, Balsam Lake, Chemong Lake, Buckhorn Lake, Pigeon Lake, Stoney Lake - Fishing Reports, Ice Conditions, walleye, bass, muskie, crappie, perch & more!

Marketplace