Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Traditional archery
laker74
Posted: Aug 15, 2018 - 05:07 pm

Parr Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 7940

does anyone still bow hunt using traditional archery equipment ?

would love to get into it, don't know where to start, any tips or advice ?

PMEmail Poster
Fishnhunt
Posted: Aug 15, 2018 - 06:38 pm

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 15869

I hunted with a recurve bow for many years and got a few deer and one moose with it. Be forewarned....You will start obsessing about custom recurve bow makers.. even to the point of entertaining the idea of selling your first born child just to make a deposit on one.If you happen to acquire one of these handmade beauties you will shoot it in your backyard until you reduce your archery targets to compost.

After you become accurate with cheap arrows you will want to spend money on custom arrows that are so beautiful you will be scared to lose them. If the addiction really takes hold you will foolishly start making your own arrows to save money. You wonít save money ...but it is a lot of fun.

When you hunt with a recurve you think differently... instead of yards you start thinking in feet. And when you get a shot at an animal it is the best feeling you will ever have. Killing an animal with a stick and string is memorable... I can remember every deer I shot with a recurve and all the details of the hunt. The moose I shot was15 years ago and I remember every detail.

Before you buy a bow try several out and practise regularly... every day for short periods. Try stump shooting as you walk through the bush or hunt groundhogs. A free hanging foam sofa cushion makes a great target. Learn to shoot instinctively as it is the quickest way to get an arrow to your target.

Enjoy the traditional experience!!!!

PMEmail Poster
laker74
Posted: Aug 16, 2018 - 07:16 am

Parr Trout

Thanks for sharing your experience and advice. Do you still shoot today ?

PMEmail Poster
Fish4Dinner
Posted: Aug 16, 2018 - 07:53 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 26

I shot a recurve and a long bow for a while. Yes it could be fun but it takes a lot of practice. Just like golfing... you must practic on consistency and it is not as easy at first until all your muscles gets use to it as well. The first few weeks you will draw and hold longer which makes it tougher on your arms. Later on you will draw and release in a smooth manner making it easier on your muscles. These bows are not like compound bows where you can reduce draw weight for practice and increase it for hunting. You get one draw weight and you donít want something too weak later on. Arrows are expensive and like fishnhunt mention... they are really nice. Wood arrows with real feathers... always hurts every time one gets damaged.

PMEmail Poster
Fishnhunt
Posted: Aug 16, 2018 - 04:17 pm

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 15869

QUOTE (laker74 @ Aug 16, 2018 - 07:16 am)
Thanks for sharing your experience and advice. Do you still shoot today ?

I got a wife and kids and couldnít find enough time to practise regularly. I hunt with a crossbow now but only because of convenience. Iím hoping as the kids get older and maybe go to school that I might take it up again....itís the most fun Iíve had bow hunting and I miss it.

PMEmail Poster
laker74
Posted: Aug 18, 2018 - 07:24 am

Parr Trout

I hear ya on that one, I only have the one kid, 21 months. makes me wonder what I ever did with all that free time to myself before haha

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Marketplace