Fishing Forum  Fishing Regs  
 Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
Pages: 1 2   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> fish online, how reliable is it?
GrandRiverWill
Posted: Apr 06, 2018 - 12:27 pm

Smolt Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 12632

I'd say Fish ON is about as good as Google Earth. The data is not reliable and a lot of the data that is available is from studies done several decades ago.

It is a tourism tool that likely a lot of Americans use.

PMEmail Poster
Getin
Posted: Apr 06, 2018 - 12:41 pm

Adult Trout

Member No.: 3407

QUOTE (hammerincameron @ Apr 06, 2018 - 10:14 am)
Where is Silver creek, is it accessible with a Toyota?

lol.....Not Toyota but Dodge maybe lol

PMEmail Poster
hammerincameron
Posted: Apr 06, 2018 - 12:47 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 5503

PMEmail Poster
hammerincameron
Posted: Apr 06, 2018 - 12:55 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 5503

Seriously though, it is a government run thing, I'm surprised it works as well as it does.

PMEmail Poster
onthehook
Posted: Apr 06, 2018 - 01:48 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 7356

2 years ago Fish Online was an excellent tool and was actually very accurate with what was in lakes, big and small and the stocking details of those lakes. They changed their format on the website 18 months or so ago and when they did they lost a ton of information on a lot of lakes. Lakes that used to show 6 different kinds of fish in them now show 1 type of fish and says no stocking info available. There are still some lakes that they are fairly accurate, but as someone else pointed out earlier, ask a friend or find some locals that may be willing to divulge type of fish details, but don't expect honey holes.

The one thing they are still pretty good on is listing is the exceptions to the rules and fishing restrictions on specific lakes.

Wet a line, find some fish and have fun.

PMEmail Poster
HardlyCore
Posted: Apr 06, 2018 - 02:11 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 8169

Another awesome online map source is CLUPA. Lets you know where crawn land is vs private etc. I like to use CLUPA to scope out trails and access points, then Fish ON to get an idea of what might be the target for the trip. No info is perfect out there, but these two used together can make for an exciting weekend at times.

http://www.gisapplication.lrc.gov.on.ca/CL...PA&locale=en-US

PMEmail Poster
Knuguy
Posted: Apr 06, 2018 - 02:47 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 877

QUOTE (onthehook @ Apr 06, 2018 - 02:48 pm)
2 years ago Fish Online was an excellent tool and was actually very accurate with what was in lakes, big and small and the stocking details of those lakes.

Earlier on the contour maps were avail for some lakes by clicking the right button----long gone!!

PMEmail Poster
Knuguy
Posted: Apr 06, 2018 - 03:00 pm

World Record Trout

QUOTE (hammerincameron @ Apr 06, 2018 - 12:04 pm)
How long is Long lake?

About twice as long as Six Mile Lake, which is 4 miles long!!

PMEmail Poster
awbringl
Posted: Apr 06, 2018 - 03:07 pm

Parr Trout

Member No.: 7052

QUOTE (Knuguy @ Apr 06, 2018 - 03:00 pm)
QUOTE (hammerincameron @ Apr 06, 2018 - 12:04 pm)
How long is Long lake?

About twice as long as Six Mile Lake, which is 4 miles long!!

Well, the Long Lake I'm used to has gotta be over 70 km long so I'm confused. Man, the fishing is good up there too!

PMEmail Poster
Knuguy
Posted: Apr 06, 2018 - 03:38 pm

World Record Trout

The 1 I'm talking about is a short Long Lake then, by comparison!!

PMEmail Poster
CousinHippy
Posted: Apr 07, 2018 - 08:12 am

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 8483

I wasn't aware of the format change and info being lost but personally I like FOL for the stocking info and immediate regs and exceptions and to see at least am idea of what's there. There was a time not so long ago I could fish 3 nights a week and all weekend and I would gladly drive somewhere and try it out but as life has progressed I am lucky to get half a day per month to fish now so I would absolutely like to be as prepared as I can to stack the odds in my favour. FOL is only one of the tools I have for that... Luckily I have a broad spread out number of contacts and I can go to them with info I have found on FOL a day say hey I was thinking of going to lake x Monday for Lakers and they may say nobody has caught Lakers there for years you have to go to lake y instead then my wife says you have to do this this and that on your day off and all I end up with is an hr to get skunked at Johnson's beach again. So I appreciate the info FOL can provide but it isn't the be all and end all

PMEmail Poster
Drew
Posted: Apr 07, 2018 - 04:58 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 8190

QUOTE (CousinHippy @ Apr 07, 2018 - 08:12 am)
I wasn't aware of the format change and info being lost but personally I like FOL for the stocking info and immediate regs and exceptions and to see at least am idea of what's there. There was a time not so long ago I could fish 3 nights a week and all weekend and I would gladly drive somewhere and try it out but as life has progressed I am lucky to get half a day per month to fish now so I would absolutely like to be as prepared as I can to stack the odds in my favour. FOL is only one of the tools I have for that... Luckily I have a broad spread out number of contacts and I can go to them with info I have found on FOL a day say hey I was thinking of going to lake x Monday for Lakers and they may say nobody has caught Lakers there for years you have to go to lake y instead then my wife says you have to do this this and that on your day off and all I end up with is an hr to get skunked at Johnson's beach again. So I appreciate the info FOL can provide but it isn't the be all and end all

So, what I'm getting out of this is that johnsons beach is awesome! And now it will be ruined cause I said that online. Whoops.

PMEmail Poster
CousinHippy
Posted: Apr 09, 2018 - 10:02 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 8483

Dangit drew that was my best kept secret honey hole! Now you said that it will be a zoo all the time!

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Pages: 1 2  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Lake Simcoe
Fishing forum for Lake Simcoe & Area. Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Discussions & More. Featuring Ice Hut Rentals, Accommodations, Bait & Tackle shops, Marinas and Fishing Guides. The best fishing in Simcoe County!

Marketplace