Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Slush and ice shacks, Warning.
Muskyhunter
Posted: Feb 28, 2019 - 05:46 am

Adult Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 13060

Folks,

If you have a shack out on Nipissing and haven't been out in a week or so, you need to get out this weekend.

I lifted mine last Saturday about a good 8 inches. Went out last night and it was frozen to the floor boards in some spots for approx 12 ices of ice or frozen slush.

After a bit of chopping I got it lifted. One more mild spell and I would have been in big trouble.

I checked other huts in the area and some are bad. Notice one of the outfitters was pulling his shacks back to shore.

Cheers.

PMEmail Poster
kenster
Posted: Feb 28, 2019 - 07:58 am

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 12683

I wanted to go out the day after the storm before the minus 20 but my wife had gone shopping with the truck Needless to say its now frozen in up to the door.
This is going to be work.

PMEmail Poster
Backroadsfishing
Posted: Feb 28, 2019 - 09:02 am

Adult Trout

Member No.: 14767

I seen someone pulling his hut off Callander Bay just before the rain and snow storm a few weeks ago. His big ram was working really hard and they had to shovel a lot as it kept getting stuck while pushing snow and some slush.

This year it's going to be a hard to move them.

Good luck.

PMEmail Poster
Muskyhunter
Posted: Mar 01, 2019 - 05:40 am

Adult Trout

Member No.: 13060

The slush appears to be freezing well. The big issue is to get your shack on top on the ice before more rain/slush comes up.

Someone has a little camper out there and the slush is frozen almost to the hub. Once it gets over the axle not sure what they can do?

Cheers,

PMEmail Poster
atventure
Posted: Mar 01, 2019 - 08:04 am

Parr Trout

Member No.: 13515

Bartletts towing will get some business in the next month thats for sure

PMEmail Poster
Jesse
Posted: Mar 01, 2019 - 08:49 pm

Parr Trout

Member No.: 16608

Any huts actually get stuck out there and stay or does anyone get them out before the ice become unsafe ?????? I know they need to b registered but who regulates that ...opp.....MNR ??? Never had a permanent hut.. curious

PMEmail Poster
sandybay
Posted: Mar 02, 2019 - 12:23 pm

Adult Trout

Member No.: 998

QUOTE (Jesse @ Mar 01, 2019 - 08:49 pm)
Any huts actually get stuck out there and stay or does anyone get them out before the ice become unsafe ?????? I know they need to b registered but who regulates that ...opp.....MNR ??? Never had a permanent hut.. curious

MNR regulates them, they will gps hut locations and numbers of huts that look like possible problem. I know a guy that let his freeze in above the floor so he burned it. Next day MNR was knocking on his door. They gave him 3 days to clean it up or face large fines.

PMEmail Poster
kenster
Posted: Mar 02, 2019 - 03:30 pm

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 12683

Just got in with a nice catch of jumbo's,A.m seems better.Caught the same Walleye twice,16in with a bump on its face.Guess he was hungry.Pic of water under shack doesn't do justice as its about a foot deep.

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
steel
Posted: Mar 04, 2019 - 10:06 pm

Egg

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 10465

Hi Gents, any chance of driving out with a pickup? How bad or deep is the slush?
Just looking for an update on lake condition on the deep water point area. Thanks

PMEmail Poster
eyesncoke
Posted: Mar 08, 2019 - 01:05 pm

Fry

Member No.: 5806

If you follow the trail off DWP you should be OK. Itís packed pretty good. Going off the trail is probably not a great idea. I came out last night on ATV and it was fine. Mind you I have tracks. A wheeled ATV may have trouble. But if you donít want to stray off the trail you probably will be OK.

PMEmail Poster
Jigemup247
Posted: Mar 08, 2019 - 08:06 pm

Alevin

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 17096

Saw several vehicles out on the ice. You have to stick to the roads for the most part. Saw some trucks driving off the path without getting stuck

PMEmail Poster
Sterling
Posted: Mar 08, 2019 - 09:31 pm

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 9678

QUOTE (eyesncoke @ Mar 08, 2019 - 01:05 pm)
If you follow the trail off DWP you should be OK. Itís packed pretty good. Going off the trail is probably not a great idea. I came out last night on ATV and it was fine. Mind you I have tracks. A wheeled ATV may have trouble. But if you donít want to stray off the trail you probably will be OK.

Where is the ramp onto the lake at DWP?

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Lake Nipissing
Fishing forum for Lake Nipissing & Area. Fishing for walleye/pickerel, muskie, pike, bass, perch, crappie and more. Local Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Tactics, Discussions & More. Northern Ontario Fishing at it's Best!

Marketplace