Members |  Forum Rules |  Search

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Port credit salmon fishing
kev_7680
Posted: Mar 08, 2023 - 02:30 pm

Trophy Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 16311

Last fall was my first try at salmon fishing Lake Ontario out of port credit. I used Dipsy’s and did good for my first attempts. I have a 16 foot legend so I kept pretty close to shore because I’m a newbie. What I wanted to know how far out would I have to go in summer to fish for them? I’m trying to figure out it I want to buy down riggers for summer or just fish for them in fall closer to shore Thanks Kevin G

PMEmail Poster
Disco
Posted: Mar 08, 2023 - 09:16 pm

World Record Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 10908

I started about 4 years ago with my own boat.

IMO yes get the riggers. In Summer you can catch them within 5k of shore often. All depends on water temp and bait. They move in and out all the time. You don’t have to go out deep but sometimes have to move east or west.

When your confidence builds and you know what weather you’re facing you can learn when to go deep safely. My boat is only a 17’. I often go out for Cohos and Bows and slam them out far.

Riggers allow you to increase your odds no matter when and where you fish Salmon. You cover more of the water column. It’s also easy to run two dipseys and two riggers with two people. Then throw a couple of cheaters on the riggers and you have 6 baits in the water. 👍🏻

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Berkley Power Bait Panfish Nibbles

Cordell Wally Diver Triple Threat

Piscifun Ultralight Spinning Reel

Magic Bait Crappie Bites

Mr Crappie Slab Daddy

Crappie Magnet White/Chart

Power Pro Braided Fishing Line

Custom 3D Fishing T- Shirts

Humminbird HELIX 5 CHIRP GPS G3
Fishing Great Lakes
Fishing forum for the Great Lakes & Area. Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Discussions & More. Featuring Ice Hut Rentals, Accommodations, Bait & Tackle shops, Marinas and Fishing Guides. The best fishing in the Great Lakes!