» Fishing Forum  Fishing Regulations  
 Members |  Forum Rules |  Search

Pages: 1 2 3 4   ( Go to first unread post ) Closed TopicStart new topicStart Poll

> New Regs 2013, 2 Rainbow Trout Limit
Longshank
Posted: Dec 13, 2012 - 12:47 pm

World Record Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 118

QUOTE (Fishsniffer @ December 13, 2012 - 11:34 am)
Millions of Dollars in the Industry !

They should be pumping/generating more money into the fisheries if anything then taking away from it . Very disappointing !

Exactly Dan!

A very large portion of my point/concern.

Ha ha ha, I took quite a beating on some other sites for my position, but I got tough skin.

Funny how we we keep hearing about 'creating jobs" but doing the opposite.
Contrary to a vast number of opinions, this will not hurt all charters on lake O.

we are blessed with altenate species as well.

It's the wrong place, but what they did for Nipissing is way worse.

PMEmail PosterUsers Website
nsfisher
Posted: Dec 26, 2012 - 06:30 pm

World Record Trout
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 148

I too have an opinion on this topic,but when you catch as little as I do it does not seem right for me to get into the debate. I suffice to say that I love to fish and normally release everything I catch. The rare exception being a feed of walleye when I do make it to quinte for the opener and what I hope will be my first taste of whitefish this year. It is great to see the opinions of all and it is quite clear there are some truly knowledgable members on this board.

PMEmail Poster
Longshank
Posted: Dec 29, 2012 - 12:10 pm

World Record Trout

All comments and obsevations/points are valid imho.

Here's my final thoughts on this new reg. change.

MNR has again a hidden agenda here which will not be seen clearly for a decade or more.

Landowners on the upper reaches of feeder streams/rivers etc. don't like the fact that salmonoids die off after they spawn and therefore have stinky carcasses on their shores, so rainbow and atlantic salmon...get the thumbs up for the favourite fish species to have in the lake. If the rainbow fishery improves in numbers, it's another excuse to back off on salmon stocking for the lake which is now mainly done by volunteer work with roughly 8 salmon penning."imprinting' projects lake wide on Canadian side

The US has a 3 fish limit.aggregate and also wanted to see us go down for limits and I wish we would have gone to the same.......3 not 2 bows and plus 3 salmon for a total of 5 daily and possesion. This means that more pressure will be put on salmon if clients wish to maximize their daily catch.

What the US is not vocalizing is that theye have a daily limit of 3, but you can go and take another 3 day 2 and another 3 day 3 and so on.we cannot...so yet agian it's an unfair balance at best. US also has a 3 rod rule..why is that?

As little as 10 years ago, lake O was a put and take fishery with some data suggesting a 2-5% spawning success rate for it's fish.........this suddenly changed to well over 60% in last 2 years, but I cannot find enough data to substantiate this huge increase and if this were true, then we would not require any reductions I would think.

many , many people responded with tales of 100 % C&R for well over 20 years out there and this kind of stuns me as I do not profess to know it all, but I do know what I see, and that is a high mortality rate in the peak of summer on c&r bows.

I will attempt new methods for survival tactics on summer bows, but not the idea of using a boga grip and dragging a bow in 75 degree water for a 1/2 mile and then release. A 2 pounder will most likely drown

In the end, I still do not see the science behing this decision to cut the limit by 60%.that is huge!.......3 would have seen little issues, but 2 does not make sense.

By far the biggest impact with this reduction the charter boats will be for those clients that come to Canada for 2-3 days of fishing and can keep just 2 bows over the course of 3 days, whereas in the US you could keep 9! Just does not make sense to me for levelling the playing field as was so often referred to.

So, given all that , was this a fisheries management decison or just a political puppet one?

We will see

Tazm1
Posted: Jan 01, 2013 - 09:43 pm

Fry

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 2212

Does anyone ever keep fish from lake O other than uninformed tourists? I am no familier with eating those fish as I have always been warned not to ea anything tha migrated up from lake Ontario, I am just curious what others think as I do enjoy a few steelies on the smoker.

PMEmail Poster
FSHN FRK
Posted: Jan 02, 2013 - 10:58 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 952

Nothing wrong with Lake O fish!
Cheers!

PMEmail Poster
Fishsniffer
Posted: Jan 02, 2013 - 11:51 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 1597

Nothing wrong with the fish from LAKE O .

If your eating a 20 pound fish then I would imagine it having higher mercury levels then a 1- 8 pound fish.

I believe if you cant eat fish from our lakes we would all be in Trouble !

PMEmail Poster
Longshank
Posted: Jan 02, 2013 - 08:24 pm

World Record Trout

QUOTE (Tazm1 @ January 01, 2013 - 09:43 pm)
Does anyone ever keep fish from lake O other than uninformed tourists?  I am no familier with eating those fish as I have always been warned not to ea anything tha migrated up from lake Ontario,  I am just curious what others think as I do enjoy a few steelies on the smoker.

"uniformed tourists".really?????????

To answer your question...tourists to well educated people from Ontario keep and consume fish from lake Ontario

Fishsniffer
Posted: Feb 26, 2013 - 04:49 pm

World Record Trout

Been eating them for years now . I seem to still be alive !

Personally I wouldn't eat a monster Salmon ..... Defiantly consume a smaller one !

Rather eat Lake Ontario fish then a pellet fed fish from the stores.....Something to keep in my mind.....

PMEmail Poster
Longshank
Posted: Mar 19, 2013 - 12:32 pm

World Record Trout

So, tell me something I don't know already.

Again, no science here at all for backup re. decision. making lake Ontraio a nursery for rainbows and as we begin pounding on the other species such as salmon and reducing that stock.

another decrease in limits coming your way soon enough.

Oh, and when did the fishery become self sustaining? I keep on touting....this is all to get out of hatcheries.

3 out of every 5 rainbow caught come from the USA, not Ontario.

Sad............

king killer
Posted: Mar 19, 2013 - 01:40 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 3332

huron has had a 2 fish limit for years and we all grew to accept it. IMO 5 is excessive. guys can still fill there limits on 3yr old kings and cohos. although 90% of these are american stocked fish anyway. without the US stocking the lake o fishery wouldnt exist.

PMEmail Poster
Longshank
Posted: Mar 19, 2013 - 04:26 pm

World Record Trout

It's not a question of accepting it.........we are constantly "accepting" fish cutbacks, everywhere, not just lake O.

Why are we so complacent about this always?

I don't get it and I hope I never will.

Lots of talk about sustaining a fishery for out grandkids....pft!, what about now , here today and for us as well.

Millions spent on "dumb" programs....but not on fish enhancement in Ontario.

Commercial fishing, you bet

We keep going backwards, not forwards.

You said yourself there would be nothing without the USA.why are they doing it and we are not.except for volunteer work

Ontario used to be the premier destination province for fishing........we are moving down the rung , not up

Recreational fishing brought in over 90 MILLION in Niagara in 2010!

That's more than all the wineries combined......even tho I like wine

Like I keep saying, show me the science..show me it's self sustaining

Fishsniffer
Posted: Mar 19, 2013 - 04:56 pm

World Record Trout

I said it many times before and I will say it again .

Its multi million dollar industry . I don't know whyy they take away from it instead of generating more money and pumping it into the fisheries .........

PMEmail Poster
Hooker
Posted: Mar 19, 2013 - 05:40 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 1100

So did the bass season get extended any?? from what I see in the regs looks like the same as it always been.

PMEmail Poster
spooner
Posted: Mar 19, 2013 - 05:48 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 778

Without stocking and NY fish we would have no fish in our rivers. I fish the NY side all the time. Way better than ON side IMO. Way more fish they stock.

PMEmail Poster
Fishsniffer
Posted: Mar 19, 2013 - 07:02 pm

World Record Trout

QUOTE (spooner @ March 19, 2013 - 05:48 pm)
Without stocking and NY fish we would have no fish in our rivers. I fish the NY side all the time. Way better than ON side IMO. Way more fish they stock alot.

You got it .

8/1 . For every 8 fish you catch there . You will catch one here . Garantee it!

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Pages: 1 2 3 4  Closed TopicStart new topicStart Poll

Berkley Power Bait Panfish Nibbles

Cordell Wally Diver Triple Threat

Piscifun Ultralight Spinning Reel

Magic Bait Crappie Bites

Mr Crappie Slab Daddy

Crappie Magnet White/Chart

Power Pro Braided Fishing Line

Custom 3D Fishing T- Shirts

Humminbird HELIX 5 CHIRP GPS G3
Fishing Great Lakes
Fishing forum for the Great Lakes & Area. Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Discussions & More. Featuring Ice Hut Rentals, Accommodations, Bait & Tackle shops, Marinas and Fishing Guides. The best fishing in the Great Lakes!