Ľ Fishing Forum  Fishing Regs  
 Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
Pages: 1 2   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> powerpole vs spot lock

does spot lock replace shallow water anchors?
yes [ 5 ]  [23.81%]
no [ 11 ]  [52.38%]
depends [ 5 ]  [23.81%]
Total Votes: 21
Guests cannot vote 
Seguin Fisher
Posted on Oct 03, 2018 - 04:39 pm

Trophy Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 9952

I agree with fork on this one. I have had a 12í talon on my rig for a few years now and Iíll never own a boat without one again ( at least my big boat, itís maybe a bit much for the 12í tinny 😏).
Thereís days where I donít even use it at all but thereís lots of days where itís a lifesaver. So many times Iíve caught a bass off a dock or weedbed, and just taloned down and re-rigged, then hammered a few more fish off the same spot without moving or making a sound. Tough to do that as silently with spot lock when your in super shallow water or the wind is howling.
Iíve used it quite a bit even on a rocky shoal, when the smallies are relating deeper to the shoal. Iíll just hold on top of the shoal and cast deeper, my dad and I did that this summer on one lake for almost an hour catching smallies on nearly every cast, and I didnít once have to worry about controlling the boat or spooking any fish with too much noise.
Theyíre also a great assistant when your launching at a ramp that doesnít have a dock, just pull in shallow and drop it and your good to go park.

PMEmail Poster
Paul j
Posted on Oct 03, 2018 - 05:44 pm

Adult Trout

Member No.: 9597

I often wonder does 1 talon keep the boat from moving left to right in high winds, ospr are 2 talons required for more stability, Iím considering on adding 1 to my boat before next season ? This is very informative, thanks everyone.

PMEmail Poster
Putaforkinya
Posted on Oct 03, 2018 - 06:43 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 3100

QUOTE (Paul j @ Oct 03, 2018 - 06:44 pm)
I often wonder does 1 talon keep the boat from moving left to right in high winds, ospr are 2 talons required for more stability, Iím considering on adding 1 to my boat before next season ? This is very informative, thanks everyone.

One definitely moves your boat but you will get used to knowing where to position it to anticipate the winds blowing the bow to where you want to fish. Two would keep you more grounded I'm sure but to be honest for the money and work to put it on I honestly don't think it's needed.

PMEmail Poster
Paul j
Posted on Oct 03, 2018 - 06:57 pm

Adult Trout

Member No.: 9597

So maybe with the 1 talon and trolling motor spot lock would probably keep you in position even on windy days.

PMEmail Poster
Seguin Fisher
Posted on Oct 03, 2018 - 07:44 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 9952

One works fine. Even in heavy wind, if you factor the swing of the bow, when you drop the talon the bow will swing right into the spot you need it to be. Itíll sway back and forth a little bit, but not enough to be a hassle. Sometimes if the wind is blowing hard away from the spot I want to hit ( like hard offshore and Iím fishing a spot real close to shore), Iíll drop the talon and let the bow swing away from the spot, then just jump to the back deck and cast from there. Two talons would help a bit with sway but for the extra $ I donít think for me itíd be worth it.

PMEmail Poster
Putaforkinya
Posted on Oct 04, 2018 - 07:41 pm

World Record Trout

QUOTE (Paul j @ Oct 03, 2018 - 07:57 pm)
So maybe with the 1 talon and trolling motor spot lock would probably keep you in position even on windy days.

With that much effort you're better off paying someone to just drive your trolling motor and keep you steady for you while you fish LOL just one towel on will be enough

PMEmail Poster
Putaforkinya
Posted on Oct 04, 2018 - 07:42 pm

World Record Trout

QUOTE (Seguin Fisher @ Oct 03, 2018 - 08:44 pm)
, Iíll drop the talon and let the bow swing away from the spot, then just jump to the back deck and cast from there.

Haha I do the same thing

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Pages: 1 2  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Kawartha Lakes
Fishing forum for the Kawartha Lakes & Area. Rice Lake, Lake Scugog, Sturgeon Lake, Balsam Lake, Chemong Lake, Buckhorn Lake, Pigeon Lake, Stoney Lake - Fishing Reports, Ice Conditions, walleye, bass, muskie, crappie, perch & more!

Marketplace