Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Mayflower Lake-Arrowhead, Trout?
PrayforCold
Posted: Aug 22, 2018 - 09:15 pm

Trophy Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 7499

Last week I made my first trip out to Arrowhead provincial park. The smaller of the lakes in the park, Mayflower, is said to have a brook trout population from stocking. I tried my favourite stocked trout rigs and lures with zero luck in the trout department. I also noticed zero surface activity of any sort. What I did find was a ton of extremely tiny sunfish, which is often an indicator of a lack of predators. So I ask everyone...
When is the last time you caught a brook trout here?
Do you know anything about the status of the stocking? (Google didn't come through for me)
I'm hoping that I just had a really bad day and that there is a good population of trout there.

PMEmail Poster
Chuck Enwinde
Posted: Aug 23, 2018 - 12:54 am

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 6034

They put in ~500 every year. With surface temps in the mid 70's you're unlikely to see much surface activity. Brookies would likely be hanging out around the thermocline - probably 20ft down. Being in the park with easy access, it probably sees alot of pressure. As for the pumpkinseed, they're common in many brookie lakes and the absolute best brookie lake I know is loaded with them.

For stocking intel, go here - https://www.gisapplication.lrc.gov.on.ca/Fi...ne&locale=en-US

PMEmail Poster
Fishnhunt
Posted: Aug 23, 2018 - 12:01 pm

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 15869

We ski there in the winter and Iíve seen people ice fishing in Mayflower. Iíve never fished it myself but I assumed they were fishing for specks.

PMEmail Poster
Drew
Posted: Aug 26, 2018 - 06:45 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 8190

It is a tough one to fish. Around 80 ft deep. Lots of water there, even though it looks like you should be able to cover the entire lake in an hour. I've fished from shore, canoe, through the ice.

Caught a couple nice rainbows there a few years back, fishing from shore, when that is what they stocked. I've put in more than enough time there, with very limited success. Heard there's one guy who would go there daily, and take home a limit all the time.

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Northern Lakes
Fishing forum for Northern Ontario, including Muskoka, Algonquin & Bancroft Area Lakes. Fishing for brook trout, lake trout, bass, walleye, pickerel, muskie, pike, crappie, perch, splake and more. Northern Ontario fishing at it's Best!

Marketplace