Kayak Anglers Forum
 Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
Pages: 1 2   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Hobie Extreme, Completely modded Hobie PA 14
Chrome Bullets
Posted: Mar 04, 2019 - 02:00 am

Egg

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 17156

I am new to this forum, but not new to yak fishing. The closing of a few sites and forums have led me here.

I have been kayak fishing the great lakes and it's tributaries for years. I specifically target trout and salmon species. Anything else I just cant get out of bed for lol. I have a couple Hobie PA's completely modded for this type of fishing.

My PA 14...

-Lowrance Elite 5 with total scan transducer
-Red/Green LED external navigational lighting
-Blue LED deck lighting
-Blue Sea Dek matting to protect from dents, scratches and sunlight wear
-Hobie Live well XL (Not in Pic)
-Scotty lake troller downrigger (Right side)
-Scotty depth king downrigger (Left Side)
-Bow mount 24V Minn Kota V2 70 lb Ipilot (7km/hr max)
-All Scotty attachments
-Yak attack gear tracking
-Rear mounting plate for additional trolling options (Gas/electric)
-Quick connect wire fittings for additional trolling motors, batteries or electronic.

I have a PA 12 rigged up very similar for the wife, friends or other enthusiasts wanting to give it a shot. If you have a yak of your own and want to wreck some chrome starting in the next few weeks. Shoot me a PM.

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
Chrome Bullets
Posted: Mar 04, 2019 - 02:02 am

Egg

The yacht in action.... https://youtu.be/qNLGCty5LZU

Steelhead Chaser on YouTube to see additional vids..

PMEmail Poster
Chrome Bullets
Posted: Mar 04, 2019 - 04:58 am

Egg

And the PA 12...

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
sabmgb
Posted: Mar 04, 2019 - 07:41 am

Adult Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 15901

Now that is quite the setup. This would be a good use for an ultera self deploy.

PMEmail Poster
Berger
Posted: Mar 04, 2019 - 09:38 am

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 9805

I have sent you an email.
You PM does not work yet.
See you on water.
Should be a good year.

PMEmail Poster
Elrik
Posted: Mar 07, 2019 - 08:43 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 5165

Wow! Yacht is definitely the right term. Looks like a real sweet setup. How much do you figure the pa14 weighs fully equipped?

PMEmail Poster
Chrome Bullets
Posted: Mar 07, 2019 - 11:39 pm

Egg

I have affixed some permanent accessories to this which cannot be removed. Its current base weight is about 180lbs.

Id say with batteries, trolling motor, riggers, electronics and tackle etc is an additional 250-300lbs. Approximately 450lbs give or take a bit without me on it.

PMEmail Poster
Elrik
Posted: Mar 08, 2019 - 07:27 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 5165

QUOTE (Chrome Bullets @ Mar 08, 2019 - 12:39 am)
I have affixed some permanent accessories to this which cannot be removed. Its current base weight is about 180lbs.

Id say with batteries, trolling motor, riggers, electronics and tackle etc is an additional 250-300lbs. Approximately 450lbs give or take a bit without me on it.

That's a whole lot of kayak!!!

PMEmail Poster
Atillikus
Posted: Mar 08, 2019 - 09:10 am

Egg

Member No.: 17039

Wow man. As someone just looking to finally get into a Yak this year seeing this pumps me up.

PMEmail Poster
Fishin fan
Posted: Mar 08, 2019 - 12:36 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 6321

Nice looking rig!

Dave

PMEmail Poster
nsfisher
Posted: Mar 08, 2019 - 09:47 pm

World Record Trout
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 148

Hey guys glad you are enjoying the new kayak forum.

I am not a kayaker but am truly amazed at some of these rigs. I do however have a question.
Its always been my understanding that most people buy yaks for their portability and easy access to water bodies. Some buy due to personal budgets and even just for exercise, something I have considered on many occasions.

Some of the models you guys are using are unbelievable but also quite expensive and surely no longer portable. With all the hardware, motors, electronics and all the extra weight there is no way you are throwing these on a roof rack or even in a truck bed so you have to trailer. I am sure that you could get a nice 14'-16 tin can that is much more stable on the water and will be able to be used in heavier weather.

What is the benefit of having a yak that you have to trailer, is just personal preference?

PMEmail Poster
Chrome Bullets
Posted: Mar 09, 2019 - 12:37 am

Egg

Being as heavy as it is I still car top this. Motors, batteries, accessories and holders are for the most part removable. In the top pic, you can see the straps on my Murano still from me pulling this off the top. I just threw it all together quick for a pic.

My reasons....

I can take this to places where motorboats are not allowed. I dont have to pay insurance. I dont have to get this registered. I dont need a trailer or hitch. I dont pay for parking as most places you have to if you have a trailer... it light enough i can still pick it up and throw it on my car. I am a big guy and its not easy but its about exercise. Versatility and maneuverability for me. As for storage, this is literally in my living room on the wall for the winter. Can you guys put ur boats on ur living room wall to stare at them in envy all winter hhmmmm lol? Drives me nuts and makes me want to fish more but hey, i got tons of epic yak fishing vids to watch.

This is stable and has never come close to flipping... knock on wood. I do see guys out there in tinners in some chop. Quite honestly the way they hold on tight makes me worry for them more than I worry about myself. Lake Ontario is not forgiving. Being able to maneuver like I do has got me out of some sticky situations.

You watch these guys on their big boat hook a fish and drag the fish to them behind the boat. No matter how big that fish is the boat will drag it... on a yak even the smallest of kings will rock the yak and start to pull you. Big kings will turn you right around. Then you are holding on to the chariot of chrome nation with ur heart dam near pounding out of your chest. You will never experience that from a tinner or boat.... never. Not to mention I am out there just as far and in the same conditions as the charter boats wrecking the same fish. Id rather turn on a dime and chase for the rush.....have to experience it to understand I guess

I started out with the basics. Everything added to this just ensures i have the experience of a lifetime every time. Motor to ensure I hit the speeds as you cannot maintain a 2.5 mph troll for 8 hrs with hands and legs alone.

This post has been edited by Chrome Bullets on Mar 09, 2019 - 12:46 am

PMEmail Poster
nsfisher
Posted: Mar 09, 2019 - 09:34 am

World Record Trout
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 148

QUOTE (Chrome Bullets @ Mar 09, 2019 - 12:37 am)
Being as heavy as it is I still car top this. Motors, batteries, accessories and holders are for the most part removable. In the top pic, you can see the straps on my Murano still from me pulling this off the top. I just threw it all together quick for a pic.

My reasons....

I can take this to places where motorboats are not allowed. I dont have to pay insurance. I dont have to get this registered. I dont need a trailer or hitch. I dont pay for parking as most places you have to if you have a trailer... it light enough i can still pick it up and throw it on my car. I am a big guy and its not easy but its about exercise. Versatility and maneuverability for me. As for storage, this is literally in my living room on the wall for the winter. Can you guys put ur boats on ur living room wall to stare at them in envy all winter hhmmmm lol? Drives me nuts and makes me want to fish more but hey, i got tons of epic yak fishing vids to watch.

This is stable and has never come close to flipping... knock on wood. I do see guys out there in tinners in some chop. Quite honestly the way they hold on tight makes me worry for them more than I worry about myself. Lake Ontario is not forgiving. Being able to maneuver like I do has got me out of some sticky situations.

You watch these guys on their big boat hook a fish and drag the fish to them behind the boat. No matter how big that fish is the boat will drag it... on a yak even the smallest of kings will rock the yak and start to pull you. Big kings will turn you right around. Then you are holding on to the chariot of chrome nation with ur heart dam near pounding out of your chest. You will never experience that from a tinner or boat.... never. Not to mention I am out there just as far and in the same conditions as the charter boats wrecking the same fish. Id rather turn on a dime and chase for the rush.....have to experience it to understand I guess

I started out with the basics. Everything added to this just ensures i have the experience of a lifetime every time. Motor to ensure I hit the speeds as you cannot maintain a 2.5 mph troll for 8 hrs with hands and legs alone.

Thanks for the reply, that is an awesome looking yak. Hard to believe you throw can still throw this thing on your roof rack but since that's the case and you still have the portability it makes sense. As for fishing lake Ontario. I have been out in some large vessels when the weather has turned and I don't inspire to be too far out there in a Yak when that happens LOL. I do like chasing steelhead so the opportunity to access to areas of a river not accessible by foot is a large plus for me.

I myself have only and older CRV so am curious what you would consider as a light but very stable yak would be that would allow me to comfortably fish the rivers and handle a few waves on larger bodies of water.

PMEmail Poster
alchipe441
Posted: Mar 09, 2019 - 11:47 am

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 7404

That's very similar to what i'm hoping to get this spring/summer. I'm thinking about getting an outback though. Right now i'm using an Ocean Trident and wouldn't be able to keep up with you. When I get a Hobie I will certainly contact you.

PMEmail Poster
Chrome Bullets
Posted: Mar 09, 2019 - 04:28 pm

Egg

QUOTE (nsfisher @ Mar 09, 2019 - 11:34 am)
I myself have only and older CRV so am curious what you would consider as a light but very stable yak would be that would allow me to comfortably fish the rivers and handle a few waves on larger bodies of water.

I would recommend a Hobie Outback or Hobie Revolution. Both are fast, stable, easily portable sit on top kayaks. Both are peddle drive which frees up the hands.

Outback would be great for rivers. Revolution would be great for big water trolling. Hitting the proper speeds is easy.

This post has been edited by Chrome Bullets on Mar 09, 2019 - 04:29 pm

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Pages: 1 2  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Marketplace