Fishing Forum  Fishing Regs  
 Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
Pages: 1 2   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Fishing in November
fish hawk
Posted: Nov 09, 2018 - 04:36 pm

Lunker Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 374

QUOTE (slayet @ Nov 09, 2018 - 10:33 am)
do you do anything to protect live well pumps from freezing

Do Not use live well in November fishing!

I got two of them in my boat, but I don't use either one in freezing temperature.

I take a cooler with me and and I keep the perch I catch in that cooler. They stay alive all day with a little water in the cooler. Dump the water before you are heading home.

If you are using live bait ( shiners) just use a live bait bucket. I put special insulation around my bucket, helps shiners to survive even on ice fishing trips in the winter.

My shiners are alive , even in the winter.

PMEmail Poster
fish hawk
Posted: Nov 10, 2018 - 08:12 am

Lunker Trout

QUOTE (modsqad @ Nov 05, 2018 - 01:03 pm)
Live minnows on small jig heads were the key. If you don't have live minnows don't bother going out. We went through 4 scoops between 3 guys in about 4 hours.

Good luck

In the Fall I like to use minnows for perch fishing. But I found out any type of minnow will work. Live, dead, salted, they take them all.

I also found that minnows will out fish plastic.

The only problem I have using minnows in November is that my hands/fingers get cold from cold water and wind.

PMEmail Poster
porkpie
Posted: Nov 10, 2018 - 08:53 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 4287

QUOTE (slayet @ Nov 09, 2018 - 10:33 am)
do you do anything to protect live well pumps from freezing

I put 3/4 threaded galvanized end caps with some Teflon tape over my livewell Intake ports. You just need to remove the strainers. Keeps water out of someone accidentally throws the switch on. 3/4 size works on standard Atwood intake ports and will thread right on. You can suck some RV antifreeze up with the pump if you like first. I just made sure the boat was well drained before capping.

PMEmail Poster
slayet
Posted: Nov 11, 2018 - 05:12 pm

Alevin

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 7393

Good advise porkpie. Do you think that the live well pumps are self draining or does water stay between the pump and the live well

PMEmail Poster
fish hawk
Posted: Nov 11, 2018 - 07:09 pm

Lunker Trout

QUOTE (slayet @ Nov 11, 2018 - 05:12 pm)
Do you think that the live well pumps are self draining or does water stay between the pump and the live well

I think most of the pumps are self draining. I never used any caps or blocked the water intake on my boat. But what I do is I make sure the water is drained well on the ramp when I take the boat out.

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Pages: 1 2  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Lake Simcoe
Fishing forum for Lake Simcoe & Area. Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Discussions & More. Featuring Ice Hut Rentals, Accommodations, Bait & Tackle shops, Marinas and Fishing Guides. The best fishing in Simcoe County!

Marketplace