Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Owen sound Derby, Week in meaford
Riggersdown
Posted: Aug 31, 2018 - 08:08 am

Fry

Group: Members
Member No.: 16198

Well how everyone make out?

Been some good fish cought with lots of time put in. Brought the RV up Monday and spent the week fishing the Owen Sound Slam. What a great event they do. If you have not had the chance to fish this event I strongly suggest a week holiday and give it a try. If going to Owen Sound book early. Meaford has lots of camping spaces available and some leaderboard fish came out of there.

We fished every morning and night through this am. Will continue the same through Sunday AM then go take in the awards. Who knows maybe we hit a large one before then.

Fishing seemed to be spotty. We did well each morning other then Thursday when we couldnít get out. We had a tuff time on Monday tuesday night. Skunked both nights. Wednesday night we brought a couple in. None for a weigh in worthy unless we decided to head up for the lucky draw. Which we didnít.

We made the daily 2 days. Wednesday for Salmon and Thursday for a Laker.

Multiple fish in the 15 range and a couple over that. Laker was 12.

Time to get the smoker on and smoke some fish at the camp site followed up with some smoked pulled pork today. Interested to hear how everyone else did.

Happy safe fishing and boating

Riggersdown be back later for a weekend recap.

PMEmail Poster
Dubya_TJ
Posted: Aug 31, 2018 - 08:34 am

Egg

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 15991

We have been out of Thornbury and Meaford for a total of 5 trips this past week. Small bows and lakers on Friday Saturday, Sunday we had a few salmon 10-13 off the tank range. Tuesday evening we landed 3/4 in the 10lbs range. Last night off Thornbury was great, we landed 5/6 including two doubles, one was a 13lb rainbow that should be on its way now for weigh in now and we lost a beast of a salmon that I am sure was well over 20lbs as it took about 300ft of line on the strike.

It seems there are still plenty of salmon just arriving from the blue water and the rainbow size seems to be averaging up nicely too.

Top producers have been Moonshine Orange Crush, Green Glow Lymans, and meat behind flashers.

PMEmail Poster
Riggersdown
Posted: Aug 31, 2018 - 11:07 am

Fry

That awesome.
Where you running in Meaford. Off mouth or in the corner?

Last night we did well with stairway to heaven plug. Am going to go with meat behind flasher this evening. Was a slow morning for us. My fault though I didnít check the plug and some how dragged a weed for the witching hour. Ugh.

PMEmail Poster
Dubya_TJ
Posted: Aug 31, 2018 - 11:25 am

Egg

Member No.: 15991

We have been up and down the Meaford shoreline from the campground east of the mouth to the restricted waters off the tank range. Certainly lots of fish staged to the west of harbour around that wall, but our best success was actually off the tank range down 90 over 100-120 FOW....plus there is less traffic.

PMEmail Poster
king killer
Posted: Aug 31, 2018 - 01:36 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 3332

Having a great derby so far. Had to head home for a couple days. Wr took 2nd in salmon on Monday then 1st on Tuesday. Lots of fish to smoke and can. Great derby as always. Back at it tonight. Glta!

PMEmail Poster
Snagger Lenny
Posted: Sep 01, 2018 - 08:14 am

Alevin

Member No.: 15333

We went 0/3 out of meaford this morning 70-80ft deep on a monkey puke spoonbehind a flasher. One chaotic double and one knock off. Had some newbies on the rod, might get my turn tonight, going back for round 2.

PMEmail Poster
Riggersdown
Posted: Sep 01, 2018 - 11:04 am

Fry

Had a beautiful morning on water this am and last evening. Went 3 for 4. Found it a bit slow overall and didnít see a lot of fish cought. From the amount of boats last night those fish have had more flash in front of there eyes they confused. Hahahhaha.
Picked up a 14 pound salmon this am and then lost a laker. At 7:40 we decided to try for some lakers and only hit the one. Had some weight but nothing like the larger one we had last week.
We tried off the range last night and didnít have any luck. Ran some flasher with meat and spoon and just straight spoon. Swapped over to a Stairway to heaven Lyman and we hit 2 along with the one this am. All were super silver. The 3 fish were caught off the mouth in 75 feet down 52 and 62 feet.

Can anyone shed some light where past the range they are doing well? Any insight be great. We have spent most our time this week from the sand banks to past the mouth as I call it. Up and down the hi-way.
We are planning on a early evening fish maybe starting off for a fat laker!!!
Thanks and good luck everyone.

PMEmail Poster
DEWWORM
Posted: Sep 01, 2018 - 12:31 pm

Alevin

Member No.: 2999

Hi riggersdown..thanks for all your posts..just curious what is the best way to specifically target Lakers.. big spoons slow and low or use body baits close to bottom.. just curious as I'm kinda new at fishing the bay as most of my fishing for gbay salmon is in spring in owen sound.
Dewworm.

PMEmail Poster
Riggersdown
Posted: Sep 02, 2018 - 06:32 am

Fry

Gmorning

Well we went out a little early yesterday to try for a honkin Laker. Well no luck on the big one but we picked a few up. Largest was 7 pounds.

As we watched the storm to the east of us pass we came in closer and started for the Salmon around 6. Only picked one up around 14.5 pounds. Wasnít worthy of the drive to Owen Sound. After seeing the 15 was top 10 we were close.

Back out this am and wow what a slow morning out here. Seen one fish cought in first 1.5 hour. Started with plugs at 60 fow and after a hour moved into spoons and flashers. Heading deeper and going for a fat Laker. Maybe see if we can finish the morning on the board.

As per your Lake Trout question above. A couple things that works for us.
Like to start at 100 fow and normally put the ball down 3 to 5 feet above the bottom. Just normal length behind the ball but we like to slow down to 2mph and we find spoons are best.

Hope that helps.

Best of luck for the rest of the Derby all.

Was hoping for that boat but not this year unless we have an Amazing last couple hours!!!

Back to work tomorrow. Will be back with a report in a couple weeks as we campingnon the Notti. Here hoping they are in thick. My kids may have a blast!!!

Happy and safe fishing!!!!

PMEmail Poster
Riggersdown
Posted: Sep 02, 2018 - 09:28 am

Fry

The end of an Amazing week!!!

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
Lum
Posted: Sep 03, 2018 - 06:30 pm

Egg

Member No.: 15719

How fast do you troll meat for salmon ?

PMEmail Poster
steelheader
Posted: Sep 03, 2018 - 10:33 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 315

QUOTE (Riggersdown @ Sep 02, 2018 - 09:28 am)
The end of an Amazing week!!!

NICE bow, if he had any girth you could probably add 5 lbs ..

PMEmail Poster
Riggersdown
Posted: Sep 04, 2018 - 08:49 am

Fry

Thanks.
I said same things about the bow. It was 7.9 pounds.

We run 2.7 to 3.0 mph. Majority of our catches were on spoons. I think we were a little quick at that speed with the flashers. Didnít have as much luck with flashers. I think we need to slow to more like the 2.5 mph with the flashers on. We also do a lot of speed changes and turns. Lots of zig zagging. When we head deeper we slow down to 2.0mph for the Lakers.

Hope this helps.

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Georgian Bay & Lake Huron
Fishing forum for Lake Huron & Georgian Bay. Fishing for walleye, muskie, bass, salmon, trout, crappie, perch and more. Local Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Tactics, Discussions & More. Enjoy Lake Huron Outdoors!

Marketplace