Ľ Fishing Forum  Fishing Regs  
 Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
Pages: 1 2   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> New to Steelheading, Tips
Poopydoo
Posted: Oct 29, 2018 - 07:51 am

Egg

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 16419

Hi Everyone,

As stated in the title, i'm new to the world of fishing for steelhead or bows (or any trout for that matter). I just recently got into river fishing for salmon down here in the Burlington area and caught a few at the river mouths which was a lot of fun (photo of a buck i just caught yesterday while trying for trout- he's a bit late haha). I don't have a CP or even a 10+' rod because as i said i'm just starting out and using the gear i already own for the meantime. I frequently head up to the Collingwood area so this forum seamed to be the best place to gather knowledge and experience through reading all your posts. I'll be up in Collingwood this coming weekend and was just looking for some advice on general areas to focus my attention and what i should use.
Much appreciated guys!
Cheers

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
1stdrift
Posted: Oct 29, 2018 - 10:52 am

Smolt Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 9278

Areas I canít help you with Iím not familiar with that area at all...Iím always fishing lake O tribes...tips I can if you not using a CP make sure your line is not braided bc youll have a really tough time letting line out with a spinning reel. I seen a buddy try it this year it was terrible. Make sure you have leader line 4-8lb depending on how clear the water is. Small hooks 6-10. Small split shots under your float...small floats think they go from 4-11grms depending on creek or river your fishing I like the clear ones, forgot what there called. I like to use everything roe, beads, flies, worms.

PMEmail Poster
Poopydoo
Posted: Oct 29, 2018 - 11:40 am

Egg

Thank you 1stdrift!

I know how it is when someone new comes in and starts asking for help in an arena where most are experts and have more important things to discuss than replying to a newbie. I appreciate your insight.
Cheers

PMEmail Poster
Gbexplorer
Posted: Oct 29, 2018 - 04:41 pm

Alevin

Member No.: 12100

My best advice to you would be watch and learn. Wherever you fish take note of the practices of the people who are catching them. Absorb that then make your own style

PMEmail Poster
jam1324
Posted: Oct 29, 2018 - 06:13 pm

Egg

Member No.: 16371

I joined a few months ago and am from Collingwood. I started fishing this year after not fishing for the past 20 ( currently 35, my boys 6-8 talked me into it). I have been hesitant to ask for advice on here and have just been trying to learn from everyone else's post/ Observing people on here and in the area. Do you have access to a boat? You can flat line right now in front of the Pretty river 10-20 foot depths or the Silver Creek ( little bit more challenging if you don't know the area.) Use Little cleo spoons or crank baits you would for bass that swim at appropriate depths. You can go down by the pump house at sunset park the east side of the park behind the terminal and throw out some salmon roe on an egg sinker with floaters in it so it hangs a foot or two off the bottom and just let it sit there. So far this is all I have figured out this year. Caught 10-15 kings but only 1 steel head. Hope this helps.

PMEmail Poster
Duxx
Posted: Oct 29, 2018 - 09:02 pm

Parr Trout

Member No.: 9447

Bows like spinners and spoons. There is a large river near Collingwood that can be fished very effectively with hardware. To the point where a hundred dollar 7ft rod and reel with outfish thousands worth of CP and 14ft rods on some days.

PMEmail Poster
Chuck Enwinde
Posted: Oct 30, 2018 - 01:12 am

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 6034

Try stopping at the local tackle shop to pick up some hooks, floats and beads or roe. They should be able to give you a nudge in the right direction.

One other tip is to hold those ripe fish a little closer to the camera - they'll look a little bigger but more importantly you can keep your jacket and shoes clean.

PMEmail Poster
Poopydoo
Posted: Oct 30, 2018 - 07:28 am

Egg

Thanks for the help everyone!

Will I be able to catch bows or stealheads right from shore in the bay or will they all be in the rivers?

LOL Chuck.. yeah i picked the first photo of a string of them that only got MUCH worse for my jacket. All a part of the learning process i suppose.

PMEmail Poster
Riggersdown
Posted: Oct 30, 2018 - 12:31 pm

Fry

Member No.: 16198

Hey there

Pretty good info atop for the Collingwood area. I have been away for a while so not been out yet. Heading out this week for some bows. The rivers around Collingwood are all closed. You can head up to Thornbury, Meaford or the Notty.

If staying close to cwood, I would be throwing some large sacks with egg sinkers. I like to be about 8" off bottom. Lots of rocks around the pump house and mouth of pretty river. however when they are on they can be great spots.

Some other places are old Browns Marina, sunset point, or Craigleith provincial park. Need to put some good time in. Find it best when there is some good rollers and rough water around. If you are around the beach you can also hit the mouth of the Notty doing the same thing. this time of year I have most success with Green bags!!!

PMEmail Poster
Poopydoo
Posted: Oct 30, 2018 - 02:40 pm

Egg

Excellent info, thank you Rigger.

I'm dropping my wife off downtown Collingwood for the day so I'll have about 6 hours or so. I think I'll try the spots you mentioned around Collingwood first and if no action I'll try Meaford and Thornbury area.

Thanks again!
I'll make sure to post how it turns out

PMEmail Poster
Riggersdown
Posted: Oct 30, 2018 - 07:31 pm

Fry

I went 0 for 1 tonight behind the pumphouse at Sunset Point. If you know the area they already have pole holders in ground. . Had line in water for 45 minutes. There is most likely lots of people there so get there early if you donít have your own stand.
I heard they doing very well from 7am through 8:30 in the mornings when the water is rough. North or west winds.
Personally I have had lots of Fall fishing luck using larger Roe bags around the Collingwood area.

Hope this helps. I am heading out the next couple mornings and will let you know how I have done. Going to the North tomorrow AM and then thursday will head to Collingwood.

PMEmail Poster
Gumby_Shoes
Posted: Oct 31, 2018 - 05:48 am

Alevin

Member No.: 14013

QUOTE (Riggersdown @ Oct 30, 2018 - 07:31 pm)
I went 0 for 1 tonight behind the pumphouse at Sunset Point. If you know the area they already have pole holders in ground. . Had line in water for 45 minutes. There is most likely lots of people there so get there early if you donít have your own stand.

Yup lots of people indeed and even more after blabbing about it on here.

PMEmail Poster
Riggersdown
Posted: Oct 31, 2018 - 10:04 am

Fry

Think what you like, or go somewhere else. Itís Amazing to see new people learning the sport. Also better to see people who are learning catch fish.
You were there at one point as we all were, and you learned what others taught you, and or told you I am sure.

Good Luck!!!

PMEmail Poster
Chuck Enwinde
Posted: Nov 01, 2018 - 12:52 am

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 6034

QUOTE (Riggersdown @ Oct 31, 2018 - 11:04 am)
Think what you like, or go somewhere else. Itís Amazing to see new people learning the sport. Also better to see people who are learning catch fish.
You were there at one point as we all were, and you learned what others taught you, and or told you I am sure.

Good Luck!!!

Certainly laudable to help new folks out but remember, every spot worth fishing is someones favourite spot. Folks that have watched spots get overrun after someone posts about them on an open forum will likely cringe when they see one of their spots posted. PM is the way to go if you want to give out a specific spot.

PMEmail Poster
Riggersdown
Posted: Nov 01, 2018 - 07:56 am

Fry

I totally get it and understand, but when dealing with a public sooot like the above spots when there is already 10 / 20 people there daily and one of 2 if the only local spots you can really fish from shore that have public stand holders put out by the town for everyoneís use really isnít a favourite homey hole.

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Pages: 1 2  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Georgian Bay & Lake Huron
Fishing forum for Lake Huron & Georgian Bay. Fishing for walleye, muskie, bass, salmon, trout, crappie, perch and more. Local Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Tactics, Discussions & More. Enjoy Lake Huron Outdoors!

Marketplace