» Fishing Forum  Fishing Regs  
 Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
Pages: 1 2   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Flatlining speeds and some advice.
jam1324
Posted: Nov 02, 2018 - 06:02 pm

Egg

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 16371

My boat goes about 1.8-2.1 mph at idle. Have a 14.4 aluminum boat with a 15 hp motor. I am trying to catch steelheads in 10-20 foot depth of water and haven't been having the best of luck. I have been using smaller body baits, rapalas, ac shiner 300s etc. I have some spoons but they are mostly 3/4 oz little cleos that work great for salmon but I worry they would be too big for trout. Does anyone have any advice? Do I need to slow down? Can I toss a bucket on a short rope out the back of my boat to do so?

PMEmail Poster
Disco
Posted: Nov 02, 2018 - 06:43 pm

Lunker Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 10908

IMO you’re going to slow. 2.5-3 is better

PMEmail Poster
jam1324
Posted: Nov 02, 2018 - 07:23 pm

Egg

Thanks Disco, I will try speeding up next time. Its my first year with a boat, my kids talked me into fishing this year and we haven't stopped since but we are still very much figuring things out.

PMEmail Poster
sdcaller
Posted: Nov 02, 2018 - 08:03 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 67

This time of year I usually troll at 2-2.5 mph.

Nothing wrong with using the body baits, but the blue/silver Cleo can be very effective for steelhead. Try using it.

How long a lead are you using? When I'm flat lining this time of year or if I'm using the down rigger in shallow water, I will run leads of up tp 150ft back of the ball or boat.

Do you have a fish finder? Are you marking fish?

If I'm trolling shallow-10-30fow, I usually do not troll parallel to the shore, rather I go in and out.

My theory is the fish are following the shore to the river and you spook them if you are running parallel to the shore. More chance of picking up those shore followers by going in and out with long leads.

Good luck.

SDC

My trolling is finished for this year, as I winterized the boat and motor today.

PMEmail Poster
jam1324
Posted: Nov 02, 2018 - 08:11 pm

Egg

Thanks, Sdcaller, I have a blue and silver cleo that is 3/4 ounce, is that size ok? I don't have downriggers yet just flat-lining right now behind the boat. I do have a fish finder and where we fish is mostly 10-15 foot depth with some large holes about 200-300 feet across. Last time out the fish seemed to be packing into the holes mostly but we couldn't get any to bite. I'm going to try and get out a few more times this year before I pack it in for the winter and just wanted to up my chances. We have one line counter reel we run 250-300 feet behind the boat and then use that as a gauge to set up 1-2 more rods at what we think is 125 and 175-200 feet behind the boat. I have been in front of a river out on Georgian Bay that's kind of a bowl shape with sunken islands everywhere. It's really hard to go in and out from shore but maybe next time I am out I will try the other river to the east a bit where I can go in and out from shore as you suggested as to not scare the fist. I just picked up some 6-pound floro to use as a leader and hopefully increase my chances of not scaring the fish as well.

PMEmail Poster
sdcaller
Posted: Nov 02, 2018 - 09:06 pm

World Record Trout

QUOTE (jam1324 @ Nov 02, 2018 - 08:11 pm)
Thanks, Sdcaller, I have a blue and silver cleo that is 3/4 ounce, is that size ok? I don't have downriggers yet just flat-lining right now behind the boat. I do have a fish finder and where we fish is mostly 10-15 foot depth with some large holes about 200-300 feet across. Last time out the fish seemed to be packing into the holes mostly but we couldn't get any to bite. I'm going to try and get out a few more times this year before I pack it in for the winter and just wanted to up my chances. We have one line counter reel we run 250-300 feet behind the boat and then use that as a gauge to set up 1-2 more rods at what we think is 125 and 175-200 feet behind the boat. I have been in front of a river out on Georgian Bay that's kind of a bowl shape with sunken islands everywhere. It's really hard to go in and out from shore but maybe next time I am out I will try the other river to the east a bit where I can go in and out from shore as you suggested as to not scare the fist. I just picked up some 6-pound floro to use as a leader and hopefully increase my chances of not scaring the fish as well.

Blue/silver 3/4oz Cleo is perfect. It is what I use as well. It is heavy and will get down deeper, even at a speed of 2.0-2.5mph on long leads It has real good action.

SDC

PMEmail Poster
woodie54
Posted: Nov 03, 2018 - 06:13 am

Adult Trout

Member No.: 503

Drag your lure beside the boat so you can easily see it and check the action. Try varying your speed and see if it changes the lure action and go with what you like best. Sometimes changing speed while you’re trolling will trigger bites as well.

PMEmail Poster
Grandpa Jim
Posted: Nov 03, 2018 - 08:46 am

Adult Trout

Member No.: 5550

Don't give up on the AC Shiner. If you are not already doing it, employ a light test fluorocarbon leader. A small jointed fluorescent orange Rapala is also a good choice but beware of sea-gulls! A quick check of the results of the GTAA spring trout derby will support my suggestion as to the use of the AC Shiner. The AC Shiner has dominated the top ten trout for decades during this derby. One last note - I'd slow down rather than increase my trolling speed and make the effort to be on the water in the low light periods of the day when trolling shallow water.

PMEmail Poster
jam1324
Posted: Nov 03, 2018 - 12:30 pm

Egg

Thank you Woodie and Grandpa Jim. got a roll of 6 pound floro after work on Friday, going to put leaders on everything. How long of a Floro lead is good on my line? 2', 4',6' etc? I will take everyone's advice and be trying lots of things the next trip out. Heres hoping the weather works out tomorrow. So far I usually just idle speed all the way, I will try slowing the boat down and speeding it up as well as alternating speeds constantly see if that picks up the bite.

PMEmail Poster
Grandpa Jim
Posted: Nov 03, 2018 - 01:15 pm

Adult Trout

Member No.: 5550

Jam,
I run a ten foot leader when trolling. Six pound test is more than light enough. A lazy zig-zag trolling pattern will effectively change your lure speeds when long lining and eliminates the need to constantly mess around with the throttle. The quieter your motor, the better. I use a slip knot or a micro snap when running small body baits to allow for maximum action from the lure. A double uni knot to connect the leader to the main line works very well. The old skunk finish flatfish or quickfish can be productive at very slow speeds. I can't confidently recall the size but I think it might be an F-4 for the flatfish.

PMEmail Poster
jam1324
Posted: Nov 05, 2018 - 11:49 pm

Egg

Thanks a ton, Grandpa Jim. The weather and a very grumpy 6-year-old fishing partner sort of rained on my parade this Sunday but there is always another day, all of this advice is stuff I could have taken years to figure out on my own, Thanks a lot everyone =)

PMEmail Poster
oogie8
Posted: Nov 10, 2018 - 01:03 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 8485

This might elicit a few chuckles, but a 3/4 oz original eppinger daredevle in red and white always caught fish for me in that area in the fall , x2 for the seagulls and rapalas, had a few dive bombers over the years while trying to free snags as they floated to the surface

PMEmail Poster
Bayliner
Posted: Nov 10, 2018 - 02:49 pm

World Record Trout
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 22

Anyone ever hook and even catch a shithawk?

PMEmail Poster
sdcaller
Posted: Nov 10, 2018 - 03:06 pm

World Record Trout

QUOTE (Bayliner @ Nov 10, 2018 - 02:49 pm)
Anyone ever hook and even catch a shithawk?

Yes, a few times.

SDC

PMEmail Poster
jam1324
Posted: Nov 10, 2018 - 04:22 pm

Egg

I had a seagull dive in and eat my hook with live crayfish right out of air mid-cast when I was 8 years old fishing on the Trent canal a long long time ago. All I can remember was that it was not a pleasant experience being a solo 8 years old trying to get the bird unhooked safely for him or for me.

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Pages: 1 2  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Georgian Bay & Lake Huron
Fishing forum for Lake Huron & Georgian Bay. Fishing for walleye, muskie, bass, salmon, trout, crappie, perch and more. Local Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Tactics, Discussions & More. Enjoy Lake Huron Outdoors!

Marketplace