Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> 2020 Ontario Fishing Regulations
sparky302
Posted: Dec 17, 2019 - 10:17 am

World Record Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 4572

Here is the new Regulations also there was some changes in some zones.

https://oodmag.com/news/2020-fishing-regula...p85FeOdGJDv4x7M

PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Drew
Posted: Dec 17, 2019 - 08:36 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 8190

Thanks Sparky...

Speaking of regs....
Anyone else notice the way the regs are laid out now...as of 2019? Seems to me it's been laid out in a more complicated fashion. Each rule (different than zone-wide) has an alphabetical list of lakes. So you now need to search many separate lists, to see if your lake is on any one of them. You need an hour to research and check all the regs if you're heading to a new lake. Used to be one big list...check for your lake name...done.

Job security for an office worker in the MNR I figure. I emailed and asked the MNR if that was the reason for the changes. Or if they were looking for ways to intentionally mislead people and write more tickets.

I was told it was changed to make it more user friendly to Ontarions with disabilities. Then they directed me to a link which supposedly has a video of "how to use the new fishing regulations". .... wait!?... it's more user friendly now, but we need a video to learn to use it!? Hmmmm.

PMEmail Poster
AlexK
Posted: Dec 18, 2019 - 08:25 am

Fry

Member No.: 16809

Thanks Sparky!!

Drew, I have the same complaints and have heard the same from others. I much preferred the previous versions where they just had a list of the waterbodys that had exceptions and what those exceptions were, rather than the current version where they have a separate list for each different exception to the regs. Before you could just look through the one list for the lake you’re fishing and it was much more user friendly. Now they have made it more complicated which will result in more people misreading the regs.

PMEmail Poster
Canuckbass
Posted: Dec 19, 2019 - 06:54 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 13286

Whole MNR license is confusing, keep it simple!
As much as I'm on the ice I've certainly had a few funny run ins with CO's. Helps if they know the process as well.

PMEmail Poster
troutchaser
Posted: Dec 19, 2019 - 11:05 pm

Fry

Member No.: 8870

These new regs are a complete disaster. Will also send mnr an email. Sigh.

PMEmail Poster
Longshank
Posted: Dec 21, 2019 - 03:25 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 118

took me 40 minutes to find 2 lakes I want to fish and on one I am still not positive about the regs

I will be calling MNRF for an explanation and get the lake specifics

PMEmail PosterUsers Website
jasonb
Posted: Dec 23, 2019 - 06:44 pm

Fry

Member No.: 11141

Can't see the maps of the zones very clearly with the way they have them orientated sideways either. And you can't probably get this in an actual book format so you could flip them.

PMEmail Poster
gaspumper
Posted: Dec 24, 2019 - 08:32 am

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 128

I right click picture then left click rotate clockwise or rotate counterclockwise.

PMEmail Poster
Kayakfisher17
Posted: Dec 25, 2019 - 09:16 pm

Egg

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 16644

Yeh I hate the new layout, the old one was perfect

PMEmail Poster
neptun
Posted: Dec 27, 2019 - 09:10 am

Alevin

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 13960

Well guys...

It's a new format.
There are certain things to get use to it.
But overall it's much better format when old prior to 2019.

1. You don't have to read entire file.
Just use Ctrl+F to see which sections of pdf file mention you lake.
2. You want to see specific limitation. Like then you allowed to catch lake trout on specific lake. And you may not targeting brook trout on the same lake so you don't look for other restriction.

First of all, if you are preparing for a trip to a new lake then you do it at home typically, reading from computer.

For new trips I download regulations pdf file into my tablet.
I also have navionics maps installed on the same tablet.
So it's very easy to do trip changes when you are already near your lake.

Either way you still need to look at fish-on web site to clarify specific regulations for particular water body.
Once I was fined, because my walleye was 16.8 inches long, but it suppose to be up to 16.1 inches.
I thought I was fishing far inside of zone 15, but this river goes from zone 14 deeply into 15.
And printed copy did not show this.

PMEmail Poster
Drew
Posted: Dec 27, 2019 - 04:33 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 8190

QUOTE (neptun @ Dec 27, 2019 - 09:10 am)
Well guys...

It's a new format.
There are certain things to get use to it.
But overall it's much better format when old prior to 2019.

1. You don't have to read entire file.
Just use Ctrl+F to see which sections of pdf file mention you lake.
2. You want to see specific limitation. Like then you allowed to catch lake trout on specific lake. And you may not targeting brook trout on the same lake so you don't look for other restriction.

First of all, if you are preparing for a trip to a new lake then you do it at home typically, reading from computer.

For new trips I download regulations pdf file into my tablet.
I also have navionics maps installed on the same tablet.
So it's very easy to do trip changes when you are already near your lake.

Either way you still need to look at fish-on web site to clarify specific regulations for particular water body.
Once I was fined, because my walleye was 16.8 inches long, but it suppose to be up to 16.1 inches.
I thought I was fishing far inside of zone 15, but this river goes from zone 14 deeply into 15.
And printed copy did not show this.

...so all that stuff ⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️ is easier than reading a single, alphabetical list?(whether electronic or a paper copy)

Perhaps I'm losing touch with reality.

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Northern Lakes
Fishing forum for Northern Ontario, including Muskoka, Algonquin & Bancroft Area Lakes. Fishing for brook trout, lake trout, bass, walleye, pickerel, muskie, pike, crappie, perch, splake and more. Northern Ontario fishing at it's Best!