Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Long weekend Bass report
scro1908
Posted: Jul 02, 2018 - 04:55 pm

Lunker Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 7035

Bass season is in full swing now. I would say post spawn has finished and better than average fish are starting to become active once again.

My Dad and I fished the Joey Mansholt Lindsay BASS Open as we do every year on Canada Day. This year we finished 12th out of a field of 75 teams. Our 5 best weighed 14.5lbs. One of our fish became stressed just before weigh in and was deemed unable to survive release resulting in a half pound penalty and costing us 2 places in the standings. Still happy with our finish as we placed inside the payout spots.

Our day started out slow. Only a couple small keepers off our 1st spot. Shallow mud bottom fishing scattered lilly pad clumps. We made a move to docks and filled our limit with a few more smaller largies. Our 1st solid fish came off a deeper weed clump in the river punching a Anglers choice craw. A nearby dock produced a fish close to 4lbs and shortly after that the LiveTarget frog got one from some pads. Our day was coming together. Decided to head shallow again and it paid off as we culled our last 2 small keepers with fish in the 2.5lb range. We stuck it out shallow till 2pm catching fish after fish but never making any kind of true upgrade. We decided to fish some docks for the remainder of the day and it payed off with another solid 3lb fish.

All in all a good day fishing with between 20-30 largemouth caught. Live target frog (largest size they offer) Anglers Choice craw rigged texas on a 4/0 hook with 1oz tungsten weight and a 6 inch senko rigged wacky style on a circle hook did most of the damage.

The senko was rigged on a 7'2" flipping stick and a shimano baitcast reel. Takes some practice but I'm able to skip that far under docks. The baitcast set up allows me to be a little more forceful in fighting bigger fish to safety.

Ill post pics of the baits used

PMEmail Poster
adamcam07
Posted: Jul 02, 2018 - 06:23 pm

Adult Trout

Member No.: 6927

Awesome report. Thanks a lot

PMEmail Poster
scro1908
Posted: Jul 02, 2018 - 06:52 pm

Lunker Trout

On hot sunny days I paint the belly of my frog black with a sharpy marker. I find it makes a big difference. I can't find black ones from LiveTarget at my local store.

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
scro1908
Posted: Jul 02, 2018 - 06:54 pm

Lunker Trout

Frogs belly

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
Putaforkinya
Posted: Jul 02, 2018 - 07:09 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 3100

It was definitely a hot and tough day of fishing but u guys did well. A shame though about that lost fish at the end. The weigh in took a bit and probably cost u that dead fish penalty.
You guys Still did well though.
It was a fun tourney. See u there next year again. Maybe we'll both be even higher in the money again next year. Like spots 1 and 2 lol

PMEmail Poster
scro1908
Posted: Jul 02, 2018 - 07:53 pm

Lunker Trout

QUOTE (Putaforkinya @ Jul 02, 2018 - 07:09 pm)
It was definitely a hot and tough day of fishing but u guys did well. A shame though about that lost fish at the end. The weigh in took a bit and probably cost u that dead fish penalty.
It was a fun tourney. See u there next year again. Maybe we'll both be even higher in the money again next year. Like spots 1 and 2 lol

Thanks Matt

Congrats to you and Beers. Excellent finish inside the top 10. Great bag at 15.6 on a tough hot day. That's a good bag on Sturgeon any day.

PMEmail Poster
Putaforkinya
Posted: Jul 03, 2018 - 08:27 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 3100

QUOTE (scro1908 @ Jul 02, 2018 - 08:53 pm)
QUOTE (Putaforkinya @ Jul 02, 2018 - 07:09 pm)

Thanks Matt

Congrats to you and Beers. Excellent finish inside the top 10. Great bag at 15.6 on a tough hot day. That's a good bag on Sturgeon any day.

Thanks scro. Ya I was happy with 15.66lbs on sturgeon even if that would have got us 70th and not 7th. It was a tough day for us. We didn't catch our 5th fish until about an hour and a half before weigh in.
We just had to make everything count.

Had no luck on the frog bite and other go-to lures so we had to change it up and adapt to find em.

PMEmail Poster
wishin fishin
Posted: Jul 03, 2018 - 08:45 am

Adult Trout

Member No.: 7314

I learn so much from your rpts.

PMEmail Poster
ilyukha
Posted: Jul 03, 2018 - 01:54 pm

Parr Trout

Member No.: 12665

Great report! Thanks for sharing
Yeah, despite the heat the fish is biting but you have to adjust your presentation and lure choices to the fish liking and it ain’t always easy.

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Kawartha Lakes
Fishing forum for the Kawartha Lakes & Area. Rice Lake, Lake Scugog, Sturgeon Lake, Balsam Lake, Chemong Lake, Buckhorn Lake, Pigeon Lake, Stoney Lake - Fishing Reports, Ice Conditions, walleye, bass, muskie, crappie, perch & more!

Marketplace