Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Boat Motor repair question, starter issue
mastercaster1
Posted: May 04, 2019 - 11:16 am

Parr Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 11395

Getting the boat ready and having some issues. I am pretty good at engine maintenance and small repairs. I have owned the boat from brand new and other than plugs and batteries the engine has been 100% reliable. It's a 2004 60 HP 2 stroke Mercury Bigfoot. When starting the engine the starter will engage but seems like it does not have enough juice to crank. Try it another 4 or 5 times and it starts to crank and start. Battery is good and I cleaned all connectors. I am thinking after 15 years the starter needs replacing.
Thoughts?

PMEmail Poster
mephisto_lake
Posted: May 04, 2019 - 07:05 pm

Adult Trout

Member No.: 11714

When my starter went on my merc last year on the water it wouldn't engage. Grabbed a pair of pliers tapped it and spent the rest of the day on the water. But it never had a period of it trying to enagage or getting better, and the rest of the day i had to hit it with pliers each time or it wouldnt try to engage. Just my experience when my starter crapped out.

PMEmail Poster
pandakiller
Posted: May 04, 2019 - 09:37 pm

Adult Trout

Member No.: 13176

probably just the solenoid or the starter is dirty inside if not have the starter rebuilt but start with cheap easy cleaning then try the solenoid if all that fails move on to the starter the best way to test the solenoid is put a multi metre on the input which should read 12.4-12.6 then test the output if it doesn't read the same ie 8.9 or somewhere in that neighbourhood its the solenoid

PMEmail Poster
bassinmike
Posted: May 05, 2019 - 10:16 am

Parr Trout

Member No.: 9548

I also love to tinker/fix things myself, however as I would not want to be stranded on the water so if it were me I would take it to a starter/armature repair shop.

PMEmail Poster
mastercaster1
Posted: May 06, 2019 - 04:33 pm

Parr Trout

Thanks guys, I have the volt meter for this weekend and will let you know how it goes.

PMEmail Poster
mastercaster1
Posted: May 13, 2019 - 05:35 am

Parr Trout

Thanks for all the advice. The voltmeter was key to figuring it out.
The starter side of the solenoid showed a voltage drop to 8 when the starter was connected.
When I disconnected the starter it read 12 as it should.
I bought an aftermarket starter online and were back in business.

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Kawartha Lakes
Fishing forum for the Kawartha Lakes & Area. Rice Lake, Lake Scugog, Sturgeon Lake, Balsam Lake, Chemong Lake, Buckhorn Lake, Pigeon Lake, Stoney Lake - Fishing Reports, Ice Conditions, walleye, bass, muskie, crappie, perch & more!

Marketplace