Fishing Forum  Fishing Regs  
 Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
Pages: 1 2 3   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Annual trip report, Anglers Haven
Northhunter
Posted: Feb 03, 2018 - 05:01 am

Smolt Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 3521

I agree. Lively minnows trigger fish.

I took a styrofoam cooler and turned it into an aerated livewell. I have a little submersible pump I drop down a hole, excess water goes out a drain back into said hole. Got tired of trying to do water changes manually. Now I just turn on the pump.

PMEmail Poster
Chevy
Posted: Feb 03, 2018 - 07:45 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 156

QUOTE (FatRap @ Feb 02, 2018 - 09:01 pm)
QUOTE (ehssoul @ Feb 02, 2018 - 09:13 pm)
Fish bay had aerator in all huts

Worth the money and the cost of the batteries in my opinion, lively minnows catch fish and an aerator keeps them lively.

What he said.....

PMEmail Poster
Longshank
Posted: Feb 03, 2018 - 10:15 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 118

QUOTE (Northhunter @ Feb 03, 2018 - 05:01 am)

I took a styrofoam cooler and turned it into an aerated livewell. I have a little submersible pump I drop down a hole, excess water goes out a drain back into said hole. Got tired of trying to do water changes manually. Now I just turn on the pump.

great idea...I may diy a project like this. Can I ask what the flow rate is on your pump..ie gallons per hr? And wht is your power source

One of the things I pay attention to is that the minnow container is the same temp as the lake water as they often get shocked if warmer from bucket which is often the case.

PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Williams Redeye
Posted: Feb 03, 2018 - 06:32 pm

Alevin

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 15484

Im the newbie that started the whole minnow thing
I want to know if my Faraball minnow bucket will fit in the ice bungalows holes
Im stay with Anglers Haven
Thanks

PMEmail Poster
buddy
Posted: Feb 03, 2018 - 07:16 pm

Adult Trout

Member No.: 5461

QUOTE (Williams Redeye @ Feb 03, 2018 - 06:32 pm)
Thanks

That's hard to say since Fabrill makes many styles. You can view them here.
http://www.frabill.com/open-water-fishing/...-bait-care.html
I have a minnow bucket set up permanently at my shack, it is like this one, http://www.frabill.com/open-water-fishing/...-4-5-quart.html
This will easily fit down a 10" hole. Mine is modified so that it is about 20" in length for added capacity.
When you put it down the hole, remember to not put it down too deeply otherwise the minnows will suffer decompression shock when you bring them up.

I'll second Longshank's comment about keeping the minnows cold. Outside this isn't a problem but in a heated shack the water could warm up to the point where the minnows undergo a temperature shock when they are put on the hook and then dropped into ice cold water. To prevent this I put ice chips or snow in the minnow container, when I see that it has all melted, I add more.

PMEmail Poster
Northhunter
Posted: Feb 04, 2018 - 09:24 am

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 3521

QUOTE (Longshank @ Feb 03, 2018 - 10:15 am)
QUOTE (Northhunter @ Feb 03, 2018 - 05:01 am)

great idea...I may diy a project like this. Can I ask what the flow rate is on your pump..ie gallons per hr? And wht is your power source

One of the things I pay attention to is that the minnow container is the same temp as the lake water as they often get shocked if warmer from bucket which is often the case.

It's rated for 1400L per hour, which is overkill.. but it's what I had. I used 1/2" pvc piping capped at one end and cut slits in it with a dremel. Vinyl tubing runs from the pvc to the pump. We always have either a 12v battery or a portable power bank in the hut. Its primary use is our satellite radio and charging flasher batteries. If I have to I use a smaller 75w inverter for a plug in. You can get them on clearance for 5-10 bucks at places like CT/Lowe's.
I always bring a bunch of pinheads. Those in addition to the regular ones provided with the bungalow and we have lots of bait to manage. The livewell is quick to make and it works. Hardest part with a pump that size is getting the inflow to not exceed what the drain can handle, but it beats doing multiple water changes with a red Solo cup lol I would like to add a timer so it kicks on @ night, but I can't find a cheap one that can be programmed to run less than 30mins.

PMEmail Poster
FatRap
Posted: Feb 05, 2018 - 09:49 am

World Record Trout
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 1282

QUOTE (Williams Redeye @ Feb 03, 2018 - 08:32 pm)
Thanks

Call your operator, ask him what diameter he drills his holes then measure the diameter of your minnow bucket = your answer.

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Pages: 1 2 3  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Lake Nipissing
Fishing forum for Lake Nipissing & Area. Fishing for walleye/pickerel, muskie, pike, bass, perch, crappie and more. Local Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Tactics, Discussions & More. Northern Ontario Fishing at it's Best!

Marketplace