Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Question about replacing flooring
DOS
Posted: Sep 18, 2018 - 12:25 pm

Lunker Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 2926

Its now time. The ol lund needs a new floor. Have been contemplating composite flooring rather than MG plywood and carpet. Question. Has anyone used the composite (plastic) deck boards for a floor and if so what are your thoughts. Have not been able to locate any 'plastic' plywood so figured this would be the next best thing.

Dan

PMEmail Poster
BlackCrowe13
Posted: Sep 18, 2018 - 01:37 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 9047

Hi Dan,

I am no boat builder, so take my comments with a grain of salt... I would expect the main issue with usin boards rather than a full sheet would be the rigidity of the floor. The flooring adds an important component of structure to the entire boat.

If the boards are all supporting the structure independently rather than as one cohesive unit, I can picture the aluminum twist and flex could increase drastically.

From what Iíve been taught, aluminium flex and twist adds to stress on rivets and seams, as well as affecting the stability.

Interesting thought about a full sheet of composite though! Love that idea! I would be curious about the weight versus marine plywood.

Please update on the decision as itís a very interesting topic!

PMEmail Poster
Fisherman
Posted: Sep 18, 2018 - 04:48 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 25

QUOTE (DOS @ Sep 18, 2018 - 12:25 pm)
Its now time.† The ol lund needs a new floor.† Have been contemplating composite flooring rather than MG plywood and carpet.† Question. Has anyone used the composite (plastic) deck boards for a floor and if so what are your thoughts.† Have not been able to locate any 'plastic' plywood so figured this would be the next best thing.

Dan

You didn't look hard enough.
Plastic plywood, should be able to order it through Home Depot.ca Definitely not cheap. Always another option is to go tongue and groove cedar in 5/4", just need to find someone with a router to do the edges. Cedar is inherently rot resistant.

PM
DOS
Posted: Sep 19, 2018 - 10:21 am

Lunker Trout

QUOTE (Fisherman @ Sep 18, 2018 - 04:48 pm)
QUOTE (DOS @ Sep 18, 2018 - 12:25 pm)
Its now time.† The ol lund needs a new floor.† Have been contemplating composite flooring rather than MG plywood and carpet.† Question. Has anyone used the composite (plastic) deck boards for a floor and if so what are your thoughts.† Have not been able to locate any 'plastic' plywood so figured this would be the next best thing.

Dan

You didn't look hard enough.
Plastic plywood, should be able to order it through Home Depot.ca Definitely not cheap. Always another option is to go tongue and groove cedar in 5/4", just need to find someone with a router to do the edges. Cedar is inherently rot resistant.

That is exactly what I am looking for however. Out of stock in stores and online and not sold (according to their website) in Canadian stores..

PMEmail Poster
steph491
Posted: Sep 19, 2018 - 11:16 am

Adult Trout

Member No.: 2752

I did my floor on my old boat with plywood and recover it with fiberglass and gell coat. can wash it down, add play sand in your gell coat before rolling it and it wont be slippery.

when I bought my new boat (Searay 180 Fish/Ski) I was looking specifically for fiberglass floor. No fish smell, no mold.

it a bit of work but easy to do.

Steph

PMEmail Poster
Lazinator
Posted: Sep 19, 2018 - 05:39 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 589

DOS, this might do the trick for you, the product is "king starboard as".
Not cheap, but you probably dont need to carpet it, and only do it once.

This is a distributor with some canadian locations.
https://www.piedmontplastics.com/resources/...g-starboardR-as

PMEmail Poster
DOS
Posted: Oct 02, 2018 - 12:58 pm

Lunker Trout

Thanks Lazinator. At $340 a sheet I will really have to think about it..

But that is exactly what I am looking for

PMEmail Poster
Walleyed layer
Posted: Oct 03, 2018 - 07:54 am

Fry

Member No.: 6638

Just a word of caution plastic plywood expands add contracts you have to over size holes for screws or the heads will snap off I'm not talking about the trex decking i have done enough projects with plastic mind you they have come along way with the product but plastic is plastic

PMEmail Poster
RomanWarrior
Posted: Oct 03, 2018 - 11:38 am

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 133

The plastic compositer warps,hard to cut and work with,wood all the way

PMEmail PosterYahoo
AlconaKevin
Posted: Oct 05, 2018 - 04:30 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 1397

I did my floor with marine plywood, outdoor carpeting and treated it with water repellant spray.
Give it a touch up every spring and water still beads off it and it is stain free after like 5 years.

It was alot easier to do than i thought.

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Lake Simcoe
Fishing forum for Lake Simcoe & Area. Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Discussions & More. Featuring Ice Hut Rentals, Accommodations, Bait & Tackle shops, Marinas and Fishing Guides. The best fishing in Simcoe County!

Marketplace