Ľ Fishing Forum  Fishing Regs  
 Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> LED Light Bars on Boats?, Legal or not? Anyone know the facts?
BlackCrowe13
Posted: Sep 23, 2018 - 10:41 pm

Trophy Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 9047

Hi all,

Just wanted to tap the crowd here to see what is known about installation of LED light bars on boats? I venture out in the middle of the night often, and would love to have some more light in some situations.

Understanding these light bars can be like looking at the sun, Iím not looking to run them nonstop, just in docking situations, and when checking for debris in the water, or hazards if trolling an area that is questionable on Navionics. It would even be nice to be able to take a good fish pic in the middle of the night, and be able to clearly see whatís going on when trying to land a fish.

If I saw another boater, I would obviously shut it down to avoid messing with night vision... common sense and courtesy would be used.

Anyone know the laws, have some installed on their boats, or have and info or feedback?

Thanks as always!

PMEmail Poster
Goshawk
Posted: Sep 24, 2018 - 04:55 am

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 11890

I have a pair of LED bars installed on my front deck. As far as I know, it's not illegal to have them, but they can't be used to "replace" navigation lights on the front (red & green) or the rear "anchor" white light. My set doesn't put out enough light to be able to see what's in the water around the front of the boat, but they are very good for seeing where things are on the deck and other boaters can see from a good distance just how big my rig is.
As for wiring, mine are wired into the existing light switch for my front navigation lights so whenever I have that turned on my deck is illuminated too. The two bars are very low wattage (about 1.2 watts each), so I didn't have to change the fuse for the navigation lights as the existing one was plenty for them all.
Hope this helps.

PMEmail Poster
Newburg007
Posted: Sep 24, 2018 - 08:03 am

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 10129

Several boat use light bars when fishing for salmon after dark on Georgian Bay; Owen Sound harbour looks like a festival on the water when the Salmon Spectacular is going. Usually the bigger boats use the LED bars to light the back deck area/riggers.

I installed one of these "Attwood Multi-Function Sport Light" on the console to help with launching pre-dawn. It also has red (bugs) and blue (UV to charge lures)..... or you can flash between the red-blue and scare you buddies! (Not me!) It tilts, pivots, and can be mounted in rodholder base. No wiring. Obviously, it wont have the lumens of the bigger bars but it's more compact as well for an open "tinny". Just another option. $30 on sale.

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
RHYBAK
Posted: Sep 24, 2018 - 08:25 am

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 2426

Look into one of these

This is what I use

http://golight.com/gobee-halogen/

PMEmail Poster
Newburg007
Posted: Sep 24, 2018 - 12:00 pm

Lunker Trout

QUOTE (RHYBAK @ Sep 24, 2018 - 08:25 am)
Look into one of these

This is what I use

And on sale right now at BestBuy....... $344.44 (save $101.00).
WOW!
I've never had that many saved up points at home to even ask! How does one get so many points????

PMEmail Poster
RHYBAK
Posted: Sep 24, 2018 - 01:33 pm

Trophy Trout

QUOTE (Newburg007 @ Sep 24, 2018 - 12:00 pm)
Look into one of these

This is what I use

WOW!
I've never had that many saved up points at home to even ask! How does one get so many points????

PMEmail Poster
RHYBAK
Posted: Sep 24, 2018 - 02:26 pm

Trophy Trout

QUOTE (Newburg007 @ Sep 24, 2018 - 12:00 pm)
Look into one of these

This is what I use

WOW!

As for points..... I don't waste my money on beer and cigarettes . so I have money for boat accessories.

PMEmail Poster
Newburg007
Posted: Sep 24, 2018 - 05:36 pm

Lunker Trout

I give. You got me there!
It is a good looking setup, one has to admit.

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Lake Simcoe
Fishing forum for Lake Simcoe & Area. Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Discussions & More. Featuring Ice Hut Rentals, Accommodations, Bait & Tackle shops, Marinas and Fishing Guides. The best fishing in Simcoe County!

Marketplace