Fishing Forum  Fishing Regs  
 Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
Pages: 1 2   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Navionics Phone App
Fishallday
Posted: Sep 24, 2018 - 10:51 am

Fry

Group: Members
Member No.: 16297

Has anyone used this app? How well does it work on the boat?

PM
RHYBAK
Posted: Sep 24, 2018 - 02:24 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 2426

excellent

used it on Simcoe last week in the fog

PMEmail Poster
ThorahGuy
Posted: Sep 24, 2018 - 03:18 pm

World Record Trout
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 644

QUOTE (RHYBAK @ Sep 24, 2018 - 03:24 pm)
excellent

used it on Simcoe last week in the fog

As did my Grandson.

Get it, it will be some of the best money you ever spent. Some find that it can be a battery hog if you keep the GPS on all the time.

PMEmail Poster
speo
Posted: Sep 24, 2018 - 05:40 pm

Parr Trout

Member No.: 117

I use it on a 7" tablet mounted on the console ( and keep the phone as a backup). I wouldn't go out without it.

Last 3 outings I had to navigate in thick fog, and this app saved the day(s). Boating 8 km from the ramp to my fishing spot without this app was not an option

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
Fishallday
Posted: Sep 24, 2018 - 05:58 pm

Fry

Member No.: 16297

Good to hear...so no need to have it on the Fishfinder anymore?

PM
sabby
Posted: Sep 24, 2018 - 07:29 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 9998

I have it on my fish finder and on my phone. I can't imagine fishing without some sort of mapping and gps for navigating.

PMEmail Poster
speo
Posted: Sep 24, 2018 - 08:43 pm

Parr Trout

QUOTE (Fishallday @ Sep 24, 2018 - 05:58 pm)

In my opinion, having it on the fish finder has two disadvantages: a higher cost and shared screen.

The only issue with having it on a separate device is that you have to protect it against the rain and water splash.

My tablet mount is a rectangular piece of plywood in which I carved room with a router and installed it on a sonar mount

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
sabby
Posted: Sep 25, 2018 - 03:32 am

Lunker Trout

QUOTE (speo @ Sep 24, 2018 - 08:43 pm)
QUOTE (Fishallday @ Sep 24, 2018 - 05:58 pm)

In my opinion, having it on the fish finder has two disadvantages: a higher cost and shared screen.

The only issue with having it on a separate device is that you have to protect it against the rain and water splash.

My tablet mount is a rectangular piece of plywood in which I carved room with a router and installed it on a sonar mount

There are a few more advantages to having mapping on your fish finder. Fish finder screens display better in the sun, depending on the unit some have better GPS accuracy, there is no need for data and they work without a cell service. I'm sure there's more but those are the big ones for me.

PMEmail Poster
Smilee
Posted: Sep 25, 2018 - 04:15 am

Adult Trout

Member No.: 11276

Great app for tablet and phone . I use mine mostly for hard water fishing,but can used for a variety of applications as well..🙂

PMEmail Poster
speo
Posted: Sep 25, 2018 - 11:50 am

Parr Trout

On both, phone and tablet, there is no need for data and there is no need for cell service.

You can download the maps at home (using your home wi-fi), save it in the tablet/phone and use the maps on the lake without data plan or cell service.

I do not have a data plan and I use to fish in areas where there is no cell coverage. Works like a charm.

PMEmail Poster
sabby
Posted: Sep 26, 2018 - 05:05 pm

Lunker Trout

QUOTE (speo @ Sep 25, 2018 - 11:50 am)
On both, phone and tablet, there is no need for data and there is no need for cell service.

You can download the maps at home (using your home wi-fi), save it in the tablet/phone and use the maps on the lake without data plan or cell service.

I do not have a data plan and I use to fish in areas where there is no cell coverage. Works like a charm.

Does cell phone GPS work without data? I've presonally never tried it.

PMEmail Poster
xiaolu
Posted: Sep 26, 2018 - 08:23 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 50

QUOTE (sabby @ Sep 26, 2018 - 05:05 pm)

Remove any and all SIM card(s) if any from your cellphone, and then give it try I say?:-)

PMEmail PosterYahoo
Nado
Posted: Sep 27, 2018 - 08:08 am

Parr Trout

Member No.: 8095

Sonar mapping is more important than phone mapping in my opinion whether you are ice fishing or out in a boat. My sonar will never die on me after a long day but a cellphone or tablet definitely can and will, especially on the ice in cold conditions. The last thing you want is to be a long distance from your access point and your mapping device is dead. I have had more than one occasion where I had to walk back during the ice season carrying my sonar in thick fog because my phone had died.

Now if you can wire a power source to your tablet or phone from your main battery than you would be fine.

PMEmail Poster
poidy
  Posted: Sep 27, 2018 - 08:50 am

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 4591

sad these day no ones knows how to use a compass and a map, or me just low tech lol, but reading this I am going to download that app, now just to learn these "smarty" phones lol

PMEmail PosterUsers Website
sabby
Posted: Sep 27, 2018 - 03:18 pm

Lunker Trout

QUOTE (xiaolu @ Sep 26, 2018 - 08:23 pm)
QUOTE (sabby @ Sep 26, 2018 - 05:05 pm)

Remove any and all SIM card(s) if any from your cellphone, and then give it try I say?:-)

Google tells me it only works with some phones. I like my lowrance anyway so I'm not going to bother using the phone out on the water.

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Pages: 1 2  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Lake Simcoe
Fishing forum for Lake Simcoe & Area. Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Discussions & More. Featuring Ice Hut Rentals, Accommodations, Bait & Tackle shops, Marinas and Fishing Guides. The best fishing in Simcoe County!

Marketplace