Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Ice Transducer vs Regular Transducer
Kato C
Posted: Sep 27, 2018 - 09:30 am

Parr Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 12232

A quick question, can I use a regular transducer from my boat for ice fishing or do I need to get Ice transducer. What is the benefit using an ice transducer over a regular transducer? Also is there a transducer arm support I can buy for my Humminbird CC ICE Soft Sided Carrying Case.

PMEmail Poster
AlconaKevin
Posted: Sep 27, 2018 - 09:59 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 1397

I use the same setup and transducer in summer and winter.

If you do a search here it is a common topic every winter.
Mine is suspended from a rope and floating piece of pool noodle.

I use the same thing for summer jigging, just toss it over the side, it floats.

PMEmail Poster
randaller
Posted: Sep 27, 2018 - 12:15 pm

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 2009

I used my "summer" transducer through the ice for several years too. You have to set it up or suspend it in some way that it points down but it can work find.

The one advantage to the ice-ducer is that you can just drop it in the hole and it points the right direction.

PMEmail Poster
kingphoenix
Posted: Sep 27, 2018 - 12:48 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 10053

Works the same, just not as convenient. If you buy a new machine and have the new transducer, Humminbird will swap it for the ice one for free, stock starts to get low come ice season so do it early.

https://www.humminbird.com/support/faqs/TransducerExchange

PMEmail Poster
Kato C
Posted: Sep 28, 2018 - 08:20 am

Parr Trout

Thanks everyone - I'm going to try out using my transducer from my boat.

Tight lines!!!

PMEmail Poster
thanh
Posted: Sep 28, 2018 - 09:51 am

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 3415

In regards to Humminbirds transom mount transducers vs their ice transducers for the Helix series, the "cone angle" or "degrees on bottom" are different and vary depending on the model you have. They both will still work. But there is a difference other than what has already been mentioned above.

Transom mount has a wider degree on bottom. I think the lowest you can go is 20 degrees. So if you are fishing with a partner and depending on how deep you are, you may be marking their bait. Sometimes even neighbors that are fishing around you..

Ice transducer has a smaller degree cone (as low as 15 degrees) which will be more direct underneath you.

If my info is wrong then please correct me, I'm not a pro in electronics.

PMEmail Poster
speo
Posted: Sep 28, 2018 - 12:39 pm

Parr Trout

Member No.: 117

QUOTE (Kato C @ Sep 27, 2018 - 09:30 am)
A quick question, can I use a regular transducer from my boat for ice fishing or do I need to get Ice transducer. What is the benefit using an ice transducer over a regular transducer? Also is there a transducer arm support I can buy for my Humminbird CC ICE Soft Sided Carrying Case.

I did that few years ago and it worked well.

You can get away without using an arm. Use some "Pipe Insulation Foam" - attach it around the wire about 10 " above the transducer and use zip ties to hold it from sliding along the wire. That foam will keep your transducer afloat.

This is my understanding of transducers/frequencies/angle cones:

Most ice transducers are only one frequency, while the transom transducers could be 2 frequencies. Using a transom transducer on ice can give you an option to select between those 2 frequencies. Each frequency determines how wide is the cone signal in the water, so you can use a wide signal with less resolution or narrower signal with higher resolution.

PMEmail Poster
Knuguy
Posted: Sep 28, 2018 - 02:44 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 877

If you Google it you will find countless ways to do a Red Green solution. May not be as convenient as an Iceducer, but it works. My fave is the one with the zip ties.

PMEmail Poster
Kato C
Posted: Sep 28, 2018 - 03:20 pm

Parr Trout

Wow you guys are the Best!!! Have a great weekend everyone... TGIF!!!

PMEmail Poster
porkpie
Posted: Sep 28, 2018 - 05:49 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 4287

For sure you can rig something up, but once you get an ice ducer set up, you'll never want to deal with the Rube Goldberg setups again. Believe me, I've done it both ways and the ice ducer is superior in every way.

PMEmail Poster
thanh
Posted: Sep 28, 2018 - 06:30 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 3415

QUOTE (speo @ Sep 28, 2018 - 12:39 pm)
QUOTE (Kato C @ Sep 27, 2018 - 09:30 am)
A quick question, can I use a regular transducer from my boat for ice fishing or do I need to get Ice transducer.  What is the benefit using an ice transducer over a regular transducer?  Also is there a transducer arm support I can buy for my Humminbird CC ICE Soft Sided Carrying Case.

I did that few years ago and it worked well.

You can get away without using an arm. Use some "Pipe Insulation Foam" - attach it around the wire about 10 " above the transducer and use zip ties to hold it from sliding along the wire. That foam will keep your transducer afloat.

This is my understanding of transducers/frequencies/angle cones:

Most ice transducers are only one frequency, while the transom transducers could be 2 frequencies. Using a transom transducer on ice can give you an option to select between those 2 frequencies. Each frequency determines how wide is the cone signal in the water, so you can use a wide signal with less resolution or narrower signal with higher resolution.

Humminbird ice ducers are dual beam and can shoot two cone angles. The helix series is 80 or 200 Hz. Not sure about other makes/models

PMEmail Poster
Fish Finder
Posted: Sep 28, 2018 - 06:45 pm

Fry

Member No.: 6039

Ice transducer is way to go. Don't need to play around and adjust it, drop the ducer and get fishing.

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Lake Simcoe
Fishing forum for Lake Simcoe & Area. Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Discussions & More. Featuring Ice Hut Rentals, Accommodations, Bait & Tackle shops, Marinas and Fishing Guides. The best fishing in Simcoe County!

Marketplace