Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Changes...
Attila
Posted: Aug 27, 2020 - 01:00 pm

Trophy Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 11988

I'm thinking about focusing solely on smallmouth bass in the Kawartha Lakes and not targeting largemouth anymore...

Has anyone else made this type of decision? What were your reasons for making the jump?

I think I learn more when I focus on smallmouth, and still manage to catch incidental largies along the way..

PMEmail Poster
jay_7680
Posted: Aug 27, 2020 - 01:43 pm

Parr Trout

Member No.: 12060

This year I focused on smallmouth bass . For me they are just more fun they jump and pull and you can let them run all over. You can also downsize your gear .With largemouth bass I find that we gear up so heavy for them that the fight is gone. That's just my thought.

PMEmail Poster
nbender81
Posted: Aug 28, 2020 - 10:58 am

Parr Trout

Member No.: 14362

I fish both on my tour around the lake...but I echo jay_7680's comment.

PMEmail Poster
Goshawk
Posted: Aug 28, 2020 - 05:27 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 11890

In recent years, I've been focusing more and more on smallies when I'm in the Kawarthas. When I venture up to the Spanish area every year, that's all I'm looking for, although there are tons of largemouth in the Whalesback Channel. In Lake Nip, I focus more on largemouth, but will search out the smallies at least one day while I'm there.

PMEmail Poster
sabby
Posted: Aug 28, 2020 - 07:31 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 9998

You will be limiting your growth as an angler. It is more productive to fish the conditions.

PMEmail Poster
ilyukha
Posted: Aug 28, 2020 - 11:03 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 12665

In my opinion , itís always beneficial to devote a season or more to one particular fish species as you improve much faster in understanding and catch rates of this particular fish
I devoted last two seasons almost exclusively to pike and Muskie and I improved significantly in my knowledge and fishing success with them
I would say , go for it!
Good luck!

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Kawartha Lakes
Fishing forum for the Kawartha Lakes & Area. Rice Lake, Lake Scugog, Sturgeon Lake, Balsam Lake, Chemong Lake, Buckhorn Lake, Pigeon Lake, Stoney Lake - Fishing Reports, Ice Conditions, walleye, bass, muskie, crappie, perch & more!