» Fishing Forum  Fishing Regs  
 Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
Pages: 1 2   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Brook Trout strain !, MNR answers
sparky302
Posted: Sep 10, 2019 - 04:23 pm

World Record Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 4572

Hi Curt,

Good to hear from you and always nice to see a few pics. To be honest I have not had time to do any open water brook trout fishing this year … bummer. Too many things to do and not enough time. Your kayak videos give me something to look forward to in retirement – only 2 years left. I do most of my brook trout fishing these days on the ice.

As far as brook trout strains go, there are numerous wild strains obviously as any natural brook trout population may show subtle genetic differences.

I believe there are 4 strains currently in the provincial hatchery system: the Hills Lake domestic strain (a very old domesticated strain), the Lake Nipigon wild strain, a hybrid of the two (Lake Nipigon X Hills Lake), and most recently a Dixon Lake wild strain from Algonquin Park believed to be more tolerant of warmer water. The Dixon Lake strain is not widely available for stocking.

In Sudbury we stock mainly the Lake Nipigon X Hills Lake hybrid. They tend to grow faster and produce a better put-grow-take fishery. And, yes I have seen them exceed one pound in their first year (2 years of age as they are stocked at one year old), achieve 3 pounds in 2 years, 5 in 3 years. They rarely live beyond age 5 or 4 years after stocking. If we are trying to establish a self-sustaining population we occasionally use the Lake Nipigon wild strain although the hybrid strain will also establish if conditions are suitable.

Any other question feel free to ask.

Regards,

Wayne

PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Nuclear
Posted: Sep 10, 2019 - 05:53 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 3419

Great information just wondering if these Brooke Trout that are put into these lakes do they suceed in reproducing most of these lakes are alot cleaner than where many cottage s are would you know anything relating to that Curt thanks.

PMEmail Poster
sparky302
Posted: Sep 10, 2019 - 07:02 pm

World Record Trout

QUOTE (Nuclear @ Sep 10, 2019 - 05:53 pm)
Great information just wondering if these Brooke Trout that are put into these lakes do they suceed in reproducing most of these lakes are alot cleaner than where many cottage s are would you know anything relating to that Curt thanks.

I am told 2 out of 10 lakes in the sudbury area will reproduce with the stocked fish.

Drew
Posted: Sep 10, 2019 - 08:46 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 8190

Interesting information there

PMEmail Poster
Chuck Enwinde
Posted: Sep 10, 2019 - 11:21 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 6034

Cool info. Hey Curt, did he mention which lake he's seen them achieve 5lbs in 3 years? Just curious lol. I'm going to a lake that get's the Nipigon strain this weekend.

PMEmail Poster
sparky302
Posted: Sep 11, 2019 - 05:48 am

World Record Trout

QUOTE (Chuck Enwinde @ Sep 10, 2019 - 11:21 pm)
Cool info.  Hey Curt, did he mention which lake he's seen them achieve 5lbs in 3 years?  Just curious lol.  I'm going to a lake that get's the Nipigon strain this weekend.

I know of 4 lakes that have produced 5 lb fish.

Fishnhunt
Posted: Sep 11, 2019 - 05:56 am

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 15869

Great info Curt. The Dixon strain is interesting as I believe warming brook tout waters is a problem years down the road. We’ve already lost a number of brook trout lakes due to warmer temps that are now stocked with splake in the Minden area.

PMEmail Poster
Nuclear
Posted: Sep 11, 2019 - 10:09 am

Trophy Trout

Thanks for the info Curt

PMEmail Poster
Longshank
Posted: Sep 11, 2019 - 07:19 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 118

Great information and always good to learn something... Thank you

chris.brock
Posted: Sep 22, 2019 - 08:02 pm

Parr Trout

Member No.: 14874

I'd invite that biologist and his wife over for dinner and drinks, then mix his drinks really strong and start digging for more information, lol.

Very interesting stuff.

I remember being a student working for the Minden MNR. It was a rain day and we were stuck in the office. With nothing to do, I was riffling through filing cabinets, reading stuff, lol. Being a kid who liked to fish, the information they had blew my mind.

PMEmail Poster
TroutBandit
Posted: Oct 13, 2019 - 09:26 pm

Alevin

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 16625

QUOTE (Nuclear @ Sep 10, 2019 - 06:53 pm)

It isn't so much an issue of how clean the water is. Brookies need abundant springwater inflow in order to have reproductive success. Stocked fish can survive just fine without it, so long as they have cold water refuge in the summer, but without it they won't spawn successfully.

Nuclear
Posted: Oct 14, 2019 - 06:40 pm

Trophy Trout

Thanks Troutbandit great info makes sense why most of these Brooke Trout lakes have many over hanging trees which keeps the lakes cooler.Happy Thanksgiving. 🦃

PMEmail Poster
Knuguy
Posted: Oct 14, 2019 - 06:42 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 877

QUOTE (TroutBandit @ Oct 13, 2019 - 10:26 pm)

It isn't so much an issue of how clean the water is. Brookies need abundant springwater inflow in order to have reproductive success. Stocked fish can survive just fine without it, so long as they have cold water refuge in the summer, but without it they won't spawn successfully.

I once read in an algon park pub that they need gravel to spawn on which, from my experience, is patently untrue.

PMEmail Poster
Drew
Posted: Oct 15, 2019 - 05:42 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 8190

QUOTE (Knuguy @ Oct 14, 2019 - 06:42 pm)
QUOTE (TroutBandit @ Oct 13, 2019 - 10:26 pm)

I once read in an algon park pub that they need gravel to spawn on which, from my experience, is patently untrue.

🤔....I've travelled a lot of Algonquin Park, and have never come across this pub you speak of. Frigg that would be a fine sight at the end of a 3km portage!!🍺

PMEmail Poster
Knuguy
Posted: Oct 16, 2019 - 08:29 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 877

It was called "Fishing in Algon" or some such. Quite a forgettable pub!

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Pages: 1 2  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Northern Lakes
Fishing forum for Northern Ontario, including Muskoka, Algonquin & Bancroft Area Lakes. Fishing for brook trout, lake trout, bass, walleye, pickerel, muskie, pike, crappie, perch, splake and more. Northern Ontario fishing at it's Best!

Marketplace