Fishing Forum  Fishing Regs  
 Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
Pages: 1 2   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Brook trout success!, My last trip of 2019
Drew
Posted: Sep 23, 2019 - 06:01 pm

Trophy Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 8190

Since I've got other plans next weekend, Sunday was my last chance to hit up Algonquin for some specks before the season closes on the 30th. Sent a text to my cousin, and he was on board too! Forecast wasn't looking great, with a rain fall advisory, but I've never caught any trout off my couch, so we decided to grab the rain gear and give it a go anyway. We headed for a lake we haven't been to in a few years. After a while, drop-shotting worms we hooked up with a couple keepers, and a few smaller ones too. Trolled around with spoons for a bit, and had a bunch of super-light hits, and swipes...had a hard time setting the hook into anything, but managed another keeper and a couple smaller guys.

Shorelines are mostly green with cedars, spruce, and pines, but as you leave the shoreline, and can see further up the canopy into the hardwoods, there's awesome reds, and oranges. I'm guessing peak colours up there in a week or so. Awesome time of year to just paddle slowly around and wait for the rod to start bouncing.

Back to drop-shotting and I hook what feels like a good one for the lake we're on. Getting to the surface, it does the brookie-splash dance alligator roll, and I can see awesome red/pink/orange colours and manage to net the nicest looking speck of my season. Decent sized male getting ready to impress the ladies! Not too long after, my cousin catches it's twin brother.

Fishing then slowed down considerably, and eventually the switch got flipped to OFF. You'd swear no fish lived in that lake. Dead zone. How does every fish in the lake decide at the same instant - "f-it!" ??

Anyway, it was a great day, even with some rain, which actually wasn't near as bad as it could have been. Nice travelling on the lakes and in the bush, colourful leaves on the trees, lots already on the ground too, and of course, a few colourful brookies...now it's splake time I guess.

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
Drew
Posted: Sep 23, 2019 - 06:03 pm

Trophy Trout

Fall brookies have to be Ontario's best looking fish!

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
Drew
Posted: Sep 23, 2019 - 06:04 pm

Trophy Trout

My cousins nicest of the day...

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
Drew
Posted: Sep 23, 2019 - 06:06 pm

Trophy Trout

Stopped to stretch our legs and clean a few fish...

...see ya next season brookies...

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
Mr Meat
Posted: Sep 23, 2019 - 06:25 pm

Adult Trout

Member No.: 15336

Great looking specks

PMEmail Poster
Fishquest
Posted: Sep 23, 2019 - 06:42 pm

Alevin

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 16737

Beauty fish and congrats on a successful end to the season in the park.

PMEmail Poster
Dbfish
Posted: Sep 23, 2019 - 07:29 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 1601

Very beautiful Drew! Those fish need wings,they could compare with butterfly beauty! Well done!

PMEmail Poster
Chuck Enwinde
Posted: Sep 24, 2019 - 12:14 am

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 6034

At least they had the courtesy to wait till you had a few in the boat to flip the switch. I think I must have been bashing through the bush looking for the bloody trail when they shut off. I tried out a new lake outside the park. Couldn't find a trail so I bushwacked in - then found the trail

PMEmail Poster
Fossy47
Posted: Sep 24, 2019 - 06:48 am

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 9546

Great trip, nice pics, beautiful colors on those brookies.
Thanks for posting,

Cheers,

PMEmail Poster
sparky302
Posted: Sep 24, 2019 - 09:14 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 4572

Awesome report and nice looking fish Drew i'm hoping to get into some this saturday !!
Look forward to seeing your reports next open water season also !!!!

PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Michael Kerwin
Posted: Sep 24, 2019 - 10:00 am

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 7520

Very nice fish, Drew. Well done!

PMEmail Poster
deepjigger
Posted: Sep 24, 2019 - 03:19 pm

Adult Trout

Member No.: 2904

Congrats on a great trip and amazing colours on those specks. I am also a big fan of taking pics right away after a fish is caught to capture those colours.

PMEmail Poster
Drew
Posted: Sep 24, 2019 - 04:03 pm

Trophy Trout

QUOTE (sparky302 @ Sep 24, 2019 - 09:14 am)
Awesome report and nice looking fish Drew i'm hoping to get into some this saturday !!
Look forward to seeing your reports next open water season also !!!!

I hope you get into some Saturday too Sparky...so I can see the pics here! Good luck!

PMEmail Poster
Drew
Posted: Sep 24, 2019 - 04:06 pm

Trophy Trout

QUOTE (deepjigger @ Sep 24, 2019 - 03:19 pm)
Congrats on a great trip and amazing colours on those specks. I am also a big fan of taking pics right away after a fish is caught to capture those colours.

Yeah, same with me... you can see a big difference in my last picture. Not the same at all after being out of the water a while.

PMEmail Poster
ldub
Posted: Sep 24, 2019 - 04:32 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 4441

Excuse my stupid question, but I was under the impression that you can't use worms in the park? Nice to see I'm wrong on that one. Beauty Fish

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Pages: 1 2  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Northern Lakes
Fishing forum for Northern Ontario, including Muskoka, Algonquin & Bancroft Area Lakes. Fishing for brook trout, lake trout, bass, walleye, pickerel, muskie, pike, crappie, perch, splake and more. Northern Ontario fishing at it's Best!

Marketplace