» Fishing Forum  Fishing Regs  
 Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
Pages: 1 2   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Flushers for trout and Salmon
Tailfin
Posted: Jul 12, 2019 - 08:31 am

Lunker Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 100

MarkDv
the clip looks like these

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
jam1324
Posted: Jul 12, 2019 - 05:14 pm

Adult Trout

Member No.: 16371

Ya Mark, as I understand it it's almost the same as salmon, just right on the bottom and maybe a little slower. I am pretty new to it myself and have had my fair share of days from 6 am to 10 pm with not even a mark. Each time I got out tho I feel like I am improving in some way shape or form so keep at it.

PMEmail Poster
MarkDv
Posted: Jul 12, 2019 - 08:21 pm

Fry

Member No.: 16889

Tailfin, thanks. I know Scotty release. I use the similar one. One end with the carbine is attached to the cannon ball and the other end, with the clip, holds the line.
But if you attach it to the cannon cable above the ball instead of to the cannon itself (to the eye loop) then you need another clip to keep it at the place (to prevent sliding up/down on the cable). Is it correct?
jam1324, thanks, it clear now. If you don't mind one more question though.
How do you identify the right depth for the salmon fishing? As I understand, salmon could be anywhere between 30' to 150'. I expected to detect fish with my sonar but so far didn't see much on the screen
Thanks.

PMEmail Poster
Newburg007
Posted: Jul 12, 2019 - 09:49 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 10129

This topic/conversation could be moved over to the Georgian Bay section for help with salmon-downrigging interest. Downrigging techniques are common on the other boards for help.

MarkDv: This is the version of the Scotty Clip (with Self-Locating Snap) used to set your line above the cannonball. (You can always buy these snaps separately and add one to your release line.)

Salmon will not be in the Bay in any great numbers at this point (sonar markings) -- especially given the later start to "summer". Give it a couple more weeks and hopefully things start to improve. August!

"Grandpa Jim" has made some experienced suggestions (on G. Bay Board) over the past season/seasons that you could refer to for targeting salmon. With your comfort/skill level of downrigging growing, the time you spend on the water will work to refine your catch ratio. Move things around "logically" until you get that combination that produces; "logically" is meant to refer to the basics:
- changing depths: periodically; evening/early morning vs mid-day; sunny vs cloudy; calm vs wavy surface
- changing speeds: slower vs faster; slow "S"-turns vs straight line driving
- changing baits: a spread of spoons vs one of plugs
- staring at the lines vs turning your back and taking a leak..... (?)

Time on the water as the great teacher! Oh! And a good photo to share here, your homework!
Good luck.

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
jam1324
Posted: Jul 13, 2019 - 09:31 am

Adult Trout

Member No.: 16371

Newburg gave you some really good advice. The fish aren't in the bay much atm and are spread out all over at the moment. In a couple of weeks, you will start marking them and know what depths they are at. I've been told by a few people this time of year in 100 fow of water you want to be about 50 feet down but take it with a grain of salt as it hasn't produced anything yet. I just finished overhauling my boat, and my motor is in the shape for some repairs. After that, I'll fish for some bass and panfish and then go back to salmon and they should be there =)

PMEmail Poster
MarkDv
Posted: Jul 14, 2019 - 05:07 pm

Fry

Thanks all! Appreciated comments and advises. Sorry foe being a bit slow in understanding...

PMEmail Poster
Newburg007
Posted: Jul 14, 2019 - 07:26 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 10129

QUOTE (MarkDv @ Jul 14, 2019 - 05:07 pm)
Thanks....... Sorry foe being a bit slow in understanding...

It's okay. I've grown used to it and have adjusted my lifestyle. Right now I'm typing slowly for others like me who don't read very fast! All good.

Good luck on the water!

PMEmail Poster
MarkDv
Posted: Jul 14, 2019 - 08:57 pm

Fry

Thanks! Good luck to all of you as well!

PMEmail Poster
Tailfin
Posted: Jul 15, 2019 - 08:46 am

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 100

MarkDv,

I find that the clip holds well on its own and a good starting depth in deep water is 50 ft. most fish will come up to the lure, very few go down.

If you need more in-depth info go over to the G.B. board and we will to give you all the details you need.
Tailfin

PMEmail Poster
MarkDv
Posted: Jul 15, 2019 - 11:59 pm

Fry

Tailfin, thanks a lot! I don't know how I could miss GB board before! Shame on me...

PMEmail Poster
oogie8
Posted: Jul 20, 2019 - 12:22 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 8485

QUOTE (porkpie @ Jul 07, 2019 - 09:37 am)
I run flashers all the time on Lake Ontario and they are very productive. I tend not to use them as much on Georgian bay or in the sound. If I want to run an attracter there I put a hotspot agitator about 24 inches off the cannonball and attach a Scotty release about 2 feet above then run my lure 20 to 40 feet back of the cannonball. The hotspot just spins with a lot of flash. There is no swinging around and all over the place like most flashers. I find it’s easier to deal with off the ball. You can run a flasher the same way as you’ve already been told, I just prefer the inline aspect of the hotspot. Attached is a pic of what they look like.

👍x2

PMEmail Poster
oogie8
Posted: Jul 20, 2019 - 12:32 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 8485

I’m not sure where you live Mark, but I would suggest fishing the north shore of Lake Ontario at this time, get out between 100-200 fow first light, run your balls between 30-60 ft and gain some experience, I expect your results will be better than gbay, give you a bit more confidence in august... oh... definitely try the “flushers”on one rig, lol

PMEmail Poster
MarkDv
Posted: Yesterday at 09:31 pm

Fry

Thanks, oogie8 ! I already did follow this advice from another person. I went fishing lake O last Wednesday, just didn't have time to report it. Despite quite wavy and windy conditions I had two pop ups and brought one rainbow into my tin tiller. I was alone and couldn't make a good picture though.
And yes, right, I got some confidence now. I used to feel that I was doing something completely stupid. Not anymore.
Even though I still don't like much fishing facing or backing CN tower and other urban and industrial scenery I like to get fish and will go one or two times to Ontario before I'll have opportunity to go GB.

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Pages: 1 2  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Lake Simcoe
Fishing forum for Lake Simcoe & Area. Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Discussions & More. Featuring Ice Hut Rentals, Accommodations, Bait & Tackle shops, Marinas and Fishing Guides. The best fishing in Simcoe County!

Marketplace