Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Haliburton Highlands Water Trails, Four Days in the Backcountry
Michael Kerwin
Posted: Aug 26, 2018 - 11:57 am

Trophy Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 7520

Some German cousins were recently visiting and wanted to experience "die kanadische Wildnis." With no previous camping experience, we decided to take them on an easy trip to some of the backcountry lakes in the Halbiburton Highlands. Here they could experience short paddling days, easy portages, lovely campsites, and everything from a shore lunch to s'mores and brownies baked in a folding oven. Of course, the shore lunches meant that I got to go fishing on three out of the four days and, happily, the fish were more than obliging.

On our first lake, smallmouth bass were either cruising shallow flats or swimming adjacent to the edges of lily pads. Lipless crankbaits, shallow running crankbaits, and jerkbaits all proved effective in landing six or seven bass in about an hour; in one instance, I hooked into two small bass on the crankbait, one on each treble hook.

The next day, I paddled into an adjoining lake where the bass were feeding on a windblown point and I was able to land three nice fish on a shallow running crank. The fishing proved to be considerably more challenging than the previous day but, thankfully, successful. Our German visitors were craving fish for dinner and I would not have to face the inevitable "WHERE ARE THE FISH???" query that I am frequently greeted with when arriving home!

On our last full day, I decided to fish adjacent to our campsite, a small shallow lake with extensive areas of pads. Unlike the first lake, these proved to be unproductive; paddling back to camp, I threw some Senkos in an small area between the edge of a bluff wall and some lower lying ground which contained rock and some submerged timber. This proved to be the hot spot for the day and I pulled out two good bass.

The next day was a longer travel day where we opted to take an alternate route back to the put-in so fishing gear had been packed away. The trip proved to be, I think, "die Reise des Lebens," the trip of a lifetime, for our visitors and the fishing once again lived up to the area's reputation as a bass fishing destination.

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
Michael Kerwin
Posted: Aug 26, 2018 - 11:58 am

Trophy Trout

One happy camper

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
Michael Kerwin
Posted: Aug 26, 2018 - 12:00 pm

Trophy Trout

Fish

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
Michael Kerwin
Posted: Aug 26, 2018 - 12:01 pm

Trophy Trout

Dinner

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
Fossy47
Posted: Aug 26, 2018 - 05:48 pm

Adult Trout

Member No.: 9546

Very nice post...glad the fish cooperated.

PMEmail Poster
Drew
Posted: Aug 26, 2018 - 06:38 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 8190

A good read...and you did a good job guiding. Well done.

PMEmail Poster
Dbfish
Posted: Aug 26, 2018 - 07:47 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 1601

Nicely Done Michael!

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Northern Lakes
Fishing forum for Northern Ontario, including Muskoka, Algonquin & Bancroft Area Lakes. Fishing for brook trout, lake trout, bass, walleye, pickerel, muskie, pike, crappie, perch, splake and more. Northern Ontario fishing at it's Best!

Marketplace