Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Flat lining, Questions
Icemanburl
Posted: Jun 09, 2020 - 10:56 am

Smolt Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 10360

Hey all,

I usually fish smaller lakes for pike, bass walleye ect. But due to being close to lake O i try my luck flat lining on calm days for trout (i only have a 16'6" aluminum). The few times i have tried it i troll a big spoon and a small lip crank bait roughly 100' behind the boat to avoid tangling lines, i have had the odd hit but nothing to show for it.

I was out yesterday in anywhere from 60-90 FOW and was marking lots in the 20-40 FOW mark and thought i would have some luck getting them to rise up and hit the biat but had nothing to show for my efforts. any pointers would be appreciated since i dont want to go down the rigger route.

Thanks T

PMEmail Poster
sdcaller
Posted: Jun 09, 2020 - 11:35 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 67

If you cannot afford or don't want to put downriggers on your boat, get some Dipsey Divers which will get you down to where the fish are. I have use DD's on Lake Ontario with a lot of success.

When I'm there with a buddy we run 2 rigger rods-including cheaters and 2 dipsey rods.

SDC

PMEmail Poster
Disco
Posted: Jun 09, 2020 - 01:26 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 10908

I second the dipsy divers or jet divers. I believe the jet divers go more or less straight down behind the boat where a dipsy diver has the ability to go down and to the side.

PMEmail Poster
Icemanburl
Posted: Jun 09, 2020 - 02:11 pm

Smolt Trout

Thanks for the replies guys, ill give that a go to get down to the fish.

ill have to look into baits next!

PMEmail Poster
centerspin
Posted: Jun 09, 2020 - 02:45 pm

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 347

you can get deep diving body baits, some are going up to 30 ft down and you can troll them behind inline board, thats the other option. you can also add a leadcore road to your spread. 12 color will go to 60 ft

PMEmail Poster
SAUNDERSB
Posted: Jun 10, 2020 - 08:28 am

Fry

Member No.: 15251

Also snap weights are a good cheap option for long lining 2 oz minimum

PMEmail Poster
Longshank
Posted: Jun 10, 2020 - 01:43 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 118

All of the above is good advice

PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Icemanburl
Posted: Jun 11, 2020 - 06:38 am

Smolt Trout

Thanks for all of the input everyone, turns out my old man still has some rigging rods laying around so ill give those a go with either dipsy divers or ill spool them with lead core!

Now i need to spend hours out there seeing what works in terms of patterns lol!

PMEmail Poster
teags22
Posted: Jun 12, 2020 - 09:13 am

Egg

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 18045

Definitely get some dipsys, I would use braid and make sure you have a snubber on it.

PMEmail Poster
Icemanburl
Posted: Jun 18, 2020 - 06:41 am

Smolt Trout

Thanks for the input everyone the dipsy's paid off, went 1 for 2. not sure on the species so it went back for another day.

Also i went with 15' floro behind the dipsy.. anyone change the length depending on depth?

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
awbringl
Posted: Jun 18, 2020 - 08:03 am

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 7052

QUOTE (Icemanburl @ Jun 18, 2020 - 06:41 am)
Thanks for the input everyone the dipsy's paid off, went 1 for 2. not sure on the species so it went back for another day.

Also i went with 15' floro behind the dipsy.. anyone change the length depending on depth?

That's a very rare species, so good for you for releasing it Nice fish and congrats (it's a steelhead / rainbow).

15 ft behind the dipsy? I'm not saying that is wrong but may make things difficult for you... Do you have a very long net? Most go 5 to 6 ft behind the dipsy because you can only reel up as far as the fixed diver, then you need to be able to net the fish. Unless using a slide diver, 5 to 8 ft (or maybe up to 10' depending on the length of the rod, your net, etc.) is my standard length. I do not adjust the length of the leader if I'm targeting deeper water. They come with a dive chart that is a good starting point for targeting depths and understanding where your lure will be running.

Good luck

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Great Lakes
Fishing forum for the Great Lakes & Area. Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Discussions & More. Featuring Ice Hut Rentals, Accommodations, Bait & Tackle shops, Marinas and Fishing Guides. The best fishing in the Great Lakes!