Ľ Fishing Forum  Fishing Regs  
 Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
Pages: 1 2   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Elliot Lake bronzeback bonanza, Four days in bass paradise
Seguin Fisher
Posted: Aug 30, 2018 - 05:04 pm

Trophy Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 9952

My parents moved to Elliot Lake about 5 years ago, and I try to get up there with the boat at least once a year to chase bass with my dad.
This year my son and I went up for 3-1/2 days and as usual it was a wonderful trip, even though the bass were not cooperating as well as they usually do ( the cool, wet weather change seemed to put them off a bit).
Day one:
We fished two lakes this day, one in the morning for about 4 hours and one in the evening for about 3 hours.
The first lake we managed only about 50 bass ( I know, it sounds great but by this lakes standards thatís a slower day).
They were grouped up in shallow flats and we caught most of them on spinnerbaits, walking style topwaters and jerkbaits, with a few on a dropshot.
Best fish was 4.25lbs, but probably half of them were between 2.5-4lbs.

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
Seguin Fisher
Posted: Aug 30, 2018 - 05:06 pm

Trophy Trout

Lake #2 in the evening we found groups of fish on the side imaging and threw topwaters and drop shots at them to pick them off. Managed another 30 or so fish, with the best being 4.5lbs.

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
Seguin Fisher
Posted: Aug 30, 2018 - 05:10 pm

Trophy Trout

Day two:
Took mom and dad and my son out in the morning after the rain finally ended, we went to another lake and downrigged for lakers. Only managed a couple small fish but it was a pleasant trip with amazing scenery.
After noon, we dropped mom and son off at the ramp and went back out for bass. We caught another 40 or so fish, this time lots of smaller ones but we did manage about a dozen over 3lbs and lost several over 4 that either jumped off or just shook off. Sometimes those big ones fight so hard you canít keep them on the hook!

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
Seguin Fisher
Posted: Aug 30, 2018 - 05:16 pm

Trophy Trout

Day three:
We hit lake #3, a series of connected lakes that covers a lot of area. After struggling for most of the morning ( and getting completely soaked), we finally got a break in the weather and got dried up. We finally found the bigger fish in about 8-10í in a few massive cabbage beds, and they absolutely hammered a spinnerbait and Stike King Rage Swimmer on a football head. We caught close to 50 bass again, most of them were between 2.5-4.5lbs, and these northern smallies hit a lure and fight like a freight train. Iím sure most of these fish have never seen a lure before, as most people up here never fish for bass, only trout.

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
Seguin Fisher
Posted: Aug 30, 2018 - 05:16 pm

Trophy Trout

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
Seguin Fisher
Posted: Aug 30, 2018 - 05:17 pm

Trophy Trout

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
Seguin Fisher
Posted: Aug 30, 2018 - 05:23 pm

Trophy Trout

Day 4:
Back to lake #2 as we only had about 3 hours before we packed up for home.
A major cold front came through the night before and it was only 8 deg. this morning and cloudless. We found the fish had slid deeper and were tight to bottom ( no surprise there), and wouldnít even look at faster presentations.
We did manage to put the hammer on em though with a Berkley power tube jig and a dropshot 4Ē Berkley Gulp Minnow. Once we figured out what they wanted, it was fish almost every cast, caught another 40 or so from about 2-3.5lbs, which was pretty fun on lighter spinning gear.

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
Seguin Fisher
Posted: Aug 30, 2018 - 05:27 pm

Trophy Trout

All in all it was a great trip on breathtaking scenic lakes. Not to mention on four lakes over four days, we only saw one other boat (trolling for lakers), and the only other life was a pile of fish and about a dozen bald eagles.
And this was during some of the harder time of year to get on good bass, itís only going to get better as the water cools and they really start to school up.
I know Iíll be returning as soon as I get a chance.

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
Dbfish
Posted: Aug 30, 2018 - 05:32 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 1601

Looks and sounds like you had a wonderful time.I love Elliot Lake,have only fished it in the winter though.One of these days I plan on living there! Thanks for the great report!

PMEmail Poster
Elrik
Posted: Aug 30, 2018 - 06:09 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 5165

Sounds like an awesome couple of days for three generations of family! Well done.

PMEmail Poster
shagdrrotten6969
Posted: Aug 30, 2018 - 06:20 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 153

Great report and pics !! Very impressive !

PMEmail Poster
Mr Meat
Posted: Aug 30, 2018 - 08:39 pm

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 15336

Sounds like a great trip

PMEmail Poster
Paddy
Posted: Aug 31, 2018 - 10:37 am

Adult Trout

Member No.: 4885

Paradise. Someday.

PMEmail Poster
Dinnger
Posted: Sep 01, 2018 - 09:16 am

Fry

Member No.: 10806

Looks like an amazing trip nice to get time with your dad!!!

PMEmail Poster
Ice
Posted: Sep 01, 2018 - 11:30 am

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 7713

Nice looking catch.

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Pages: 1 2  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Northern Lakes
Fishing forum for Northern Ontario, including Muskoka, Algonquin & Bancroft Area Lakes. Fishing for brook trout, lake trout, bass, walleye, pickerel, muskie, pike, crappie, perch, splake and more. Northern Ontario fishing at it's Best!

Marketplace