Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Fall Lake Trout
caspersphilly
Posted: Sep 30, 2018 - 06:30 am

Parr Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 7095

Hi everyone,

I am lucky and have a cottage on a lake that allows fishing for lake trout year round. I know the water is not too cold yet. Do I still need to focus on getting to the bottom or will they be starting to come to more shallow water? Thanks for any advice.

PMEmail Poster
oogie8
Posted: Oct 02, 2018 - 05:08 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 8485

Might not get many replies on this one, lakers will be spawning very soon

PMEmail Poster
Longshank
Posted: Oct 02, 2018 - 07:04 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 118

Well if it is legal and I stress the word....LEGAL, I would focus on spawning sites/locations

I can't believe I just said that

personally, I never target spawning fish though and as mentioned by oogie, lakers will be setting up to spawn in the near future

PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Drew
Posted: Oct 03, 2018 - 12:12 am

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 8190

Yeah, I would try areas more like what I'd do after ice out...and early morning/late evening if your around the spawning areas, as I believe they like the cover of darkness.

Also, there's little to no spawning (success) on the lake you are on Casper. Hence why the MNR has an open-all-year lake trout season. Same as the lake connected to it. Stocked fish for put-grow-take. Your not hurting anything.

Good luck to you!

PMEmail Poster
Backroadsfishing
Posted: Oct 03, 2018 - 07:22 am

Parr Trout

Member No.: 14767

I was going to ask the same question.

I wanted to try a lake that the MNR stocks yearly with (Put-Grow-Take, Lake Trout). I was marking them at 30-40 feet this summer but was wondering when they would be moving to shallow waters. There is a lot of pressure on them during the winter months as the lake is next to a plowed road so I figured I give the fall a try before the freeze up. According to the MNR site "Lake Trout spawn when they reach 5-10 yrs old" and with the pressure on this particular lake I don't think they get that old. Largest one I have caught was 14 inches (should have been less then 2 yrs old) and I let it go only to talk to a guy who has a cottage on the lake and he said that was a good size for the lake...Damn.

I think 16 inches or better would have been good to keep but according to the guy who lives on the lake, they keep anything over 12 inches.

Thoughts anyone?

PMEmail Poster
Drew
Posted: Oct 04, 2018 - 08:00 pm

Trophy Trout

I think a lot of people (myself included) would be surprised at how old a 14-16" lake trout might be here around Muskoka and in Algonquin, depending on the particular lake it comes from. I have a picture somewhere of what I mean...see if I can find it...

PMEmail Poster
Drew
Posted: Oct 04, 2018 - 08:03 pm

Trophy Trout

Hope you can read this and I don't get sued....this is from "Fishing in Algonquin Provincial Park" book.

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
Backroadsfishing
Posted: Oct 05, 2018 - 06:21 am

Parr Trout

Member No.: 14767

Thanks Drew. I guess a 12 inch or better Lake trout near Algonquin park is older then other lake trout from different lakes (depending on food sources) and therefore may be in there spawning years (5 years old or better).

I will check with the NMR office (the one which stocks that particular lake) to see why they don't shut down that lake for lake trout fishing from Oct to Dec.

PMEmail Poster
Nuclear
Posted: Oct 05, 2018 - 07:45 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 3419

I think many lakes that are opened year round are not naturally reproducing but most lakes that are closed are naturally reproducing I would agree what Drew is talking about.Many lakes that have smelts you can see lake trout are fat compared to lakes that don t have smelts my experience in fishing for them.

PMEmail Poster
oogie8
Posted: Oct 05, 2018 - 10:24 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 8485

Thanks for the reply Drew, this is exactly why I love this board

PMEmail Poster
chris.brock
Posted: Oct 06, 2018 - 12:32 am

Alevin

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 14874

they taste like crap, it's a shame all the heroes keep them, it won;t be long until all the S On lakers are stocked fish

This post has been edited by chris.brock on Oct 06, 2018 - 12:32 am

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Northern Lakes
Fishing forum for Northern Ontario, including Muskoka, Algonquin & Bancroft Area Lakes. Fishing for brook trout, lake trout, bass, walleye, pickerel, muskie, pike, crappie, perch, splake and more. Northern Ontario fishing at it's Best!

Marketplace