Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Tips on winterizing Mercury 4 stroke outboard
nickbohn88
Posted: Nov 03, 2018 - 09:30 pm

Alevin

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 8888

Hey Guys and Gals. Being a new boat owner I thought It wouldn't hurt to ask if anyone here has any tips on winterizing a 25 Mercury 4 stroke motor. I have my boat stored inside an indoor storage unit with the motor in the vertical position. I put a cap of fuel stabilizer in my gas can every time i fill up. Someone mentioned something about putting anti-freeze in the live well but I wasn't getting a clear image on what that person was saying. If you have any advice that could help I'd greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

PMEmail Poster
Limacharley
Posted: Nov 05, 2018 - 12:26 pm

Smolt Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 11791

Your live well uses a pump to fill up. If you leave water in your pump over winter, it will crack the pump costing you money to replace. Find the inlet to your pump and make it cycle while supplying plumber's antifreeze. Once you see some pink liquid in your live well, you will have winterized your pump.

Same goes for your bilge pump. It must be winterized also.

As far as your motor: change the oil in the motor much like you change the oil in your car.
There should be a screw you can take out and drain the engine oil. Put in what's recommended by Mercury.
Finally, you should also change the gear oil in your lower end. If by chance water has entered your lower end, this too will crack.

Lots of videos on OOgle to help you out.

PMEmail PosterUsers Website
nickbohn88
Posted: Nov 05, 2018 - 09:52 pm

Alevin

Member No.: 8888

Thank you very much Limacharley for clearing all that up, I really appreciate it.

This post has been edited by nickbohn88 on Nov 05, 2018 - 09:53 pm

PMEmail Poster
barryboy
Posted: Nov 06, 2018 - 10:26 am

Alevin

Member No.: 14741

Do the filters really need to be changed? (60hrs on motor) and do you really have to "fog" the motor?
Thanks

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Northern Lakes
Fishing forum for Northern Ontario, including Muskoka, Algonquin & Bancroft Area Lakes. Fishing for brook trout, lake trout, bass, walleye, pickerel, muskie, pike, crappie, perch, splake and more. Northern Ontario fishing at it's Best!

Marketplace