Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> new to forum, interesting stories
crappeeeman
Posted: Sep 18, 2020 - 12:19 pm

Parr Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 18589

So I have been reading the stories on this forum for quite a while so I decided to join. I have not been fishing as much this year because of the virus. I just came back from the kawarthas last week. Bad weather, rain, fog, wind, and rolling mist all night. but the fishing was good for me. As long as I catch a few fish for a family dinner I am happy.

PMEmail Poster
crappeeeman
Posted: Sep 18, 2020 - 12:31 pm

Parr Trout

Here is a picture I have not figured all this stuff out yet. I hate computers.

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
crappeeeman
Posted: Sep 18, 2020 - 12:45 pm

Parr Trout

Fished for four nights two good nights two bad nights. Here is the other picture

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
crappeeeman
Posted: Sep 18, 2020 - 12:59 pm

Parr Trout

Next time I will try and put pictures in scale. All crappie are over 11 inches. I dont keep crappie unless they are at least 11 inches. The pickeral was just over 22 and the bass were big and fat deep water no worms inside. Usually dont keep bass until water is colder. Got lucky

PMEmail Poster
metalbuckle
Posted: Sep 18, 2020 - 04:14 pm

World Record Trout
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 2

Welcome to the forum, nice looking fish, well done..

You fish at night? May I ask what you use?

Thanks for the report.

PMEmail Poster
Live_To_Fish
Posted: Sep 18, 2020 - 04:23 pm

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 3513

Welcome aboard crappeeeman, those are some nice looking fish. This place is full of knowledge and just overall great folks.

PMEmail Poster
crappeeeman
Posted: Sep 18, 2020 - 04:53 pm

Parr Trout

I go out after dinner fish all night do not like the sun. Two poles, one for med size crank baits, the other is on a slip bobber quarter ounce jig head gary yamamoto tiny ika 2 and 3 inch crappie baits which they do not make anymore. I ordered hundreds just before they stopped production. Also strike king 2 inch jokers many colors. Always fishing shallow and slow. No bragging intended but I love fishing for crappie so there is alot of method to my madness which translates into hundreds and hundreds of crappie. Keep enough to feed four and let the rest go.

PMEmail Poster
mastercaster1
Posted: Sep 18, 2020 - 04:55 pm

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 11395

Well done, love a good fish fry. Not giving you grief just passing on info. You didn't mention which lake and unless it was Balsam the pickeral would be considered outside the slot. Again, just passing the info for future reference.

Here is zone 17 regs

https://files.ontario.ca/mnrf-fishing-regul...-2020-01-20.pdf

MC

PMEmail Poster
crappeeeman
Posted: Sep 18, 2020 - 04:58 pm

Parr Trout

Yes much knowledge on this forum. I have been reading for years, I just hate computers. but this is easier than I thought. So if I can provide any extra knowledge to anyone, no problem at all. I am not a pro fisherman, but I bet I spend more time on or on the edge of water than they do.

PMEmail Poster
crappeeeman
Posted: Sep 18, 2020 - 05:08 pm

Parr Trout

Yup thanks, I only fish balsam and sturgeon and I always keep the regs with me. I wish they would just drop the slot size and make the limit TWO. It saves fish and if people follow the rules there will be some fish left for our great great grand kids etc. etc. Monster pickeral bass and crappie in balsam and the biggest rock bass I have ever seen...hate rock bass.

PMEmail Poster
crappeeeman
Posted: Sep 18, 2020 - 05:42 pm

Parr Trout

I forgot water depth. In the spring I am only in 4 feet of water and I fish only 6 inches down bobber or crank bait. In the summer I am in 6 to 10 feet of water and fish 18 to 24 inches down. In the fall 6 to 10 feet of water and fish 24 to 30 inches down. If there is no wind at all I find the crank bait really draws the fish up giving an easy hook set and with the bobber if they dont hit it right away they have not come in for their night feed yet. Always frustrating waiting for crappie and pickeral at night. You never know when, but the where is easy, all through trial and error. This is why I only fish balsam and sturgeon and only two or three spots on each lake. I have much much much patience. I dont fish for fun, the family loves to each fish. No pressure at all.

PMEmail Poster
rayray89
Posted: Sep 19, 2020 - 04:17 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 6253

QUOTE (mastercaster1 @ Sep 18, 2020 - 04:55 pm)
Well done, love a good fish fry. Not giving you grief just passing on info. You didn't mention which lake and unless it was Balsam the pickeral would be considered outside the slot. Again, just passing the info for future reference.

Here is zone 17 regs

https://files.ontario.ca/mnrf-fishing-regul...-2020-01-20.pdf

MC

Don't forget Mitchell lake is included aswell in that restriction

Great job crappeeeman! !

PMEmail Poster
crappeeeman
Posted: Sep 19, 2020 - 08:50 pm

Parr Trout

Thankyou for feedback. Went fishing at a place when I only have two or three hours of time. You can catch crappie dozens and dozens almost every cast. Just one problem they are all babies. I still have not got one bigger than this and I found this spot three years ago. Still better than catching no fish.

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
sabmgb
Posted: Sep 20, 2020 - 07:01 am

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 15901

Nice, sounds like you are the man for crappie for sure.

PMEmail Poster
crappeeeman
Posted: Sep 20, 2020 - 01:14 pm

Parr Trout

The reason I love crappie fishing so much is the taste of course. But the main reason is, when you are fishing at night. If there is little or no wind and your bait is on a slip bobber very shallow, the crappie have to come straight up and hit it. Your glow stick should just disappear for one second, you should feel no pull for just that one second. Then setting the hook with my crappie rod, and seeing that this fish is not happy with me at all. A 15, 16, or 17 inch crappie at night in the darkness is something everyone should experience. Try it, no flashlight until you get the monster in the net. You would not want to scare the other big slabs away.

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Kawartha Lakes
Fishing forum for the Kawartha Lakes & Area. Rice Lake, Lake Scugog, Sturgeon Lake, Balsam Lake, Chemong Lake, Buckhorn Lake, Pigeon Lake, Stoney Lake - Fishing Reports, Ice Conditions, walleye, bass, muskie, crappie, perch & more!