Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> MNR safety equipment checks
DuckFever
Posted: Jul 08, 2018 - 02:45 pm

Parr Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 5321

Hello everyone,

In the past two weeks I was lucky enough to get stopped by the MNR twice while fishing the kawarthas. Let me first say that I'm glad they're out there protecting the wildlife but unfortunately on my first encounter, the two officers got beside our boat, held on and started checking our equipment while the other was at the controls of their boat. While this was happening we were getting pushed further and further into shore. By the time we were all done and they were leaving, one of the officers pointed out the huge boulders that were under our boat, switched on their giant outboard and roared away laughing, literally laughing. There we were with our boat scraping the bottom and having to use paddles to push out as the trolling motor was hitting bottom also. This is not the first time that this happened, I know that this isnt 100% they're fault but them laughing as they leave is very unprofessional. They could have atleast asked us to motor into water that was a little deeper while they do their checks. My second encounter involved the officer not asking to see anything but our life jackets. Which we store in the bow. We had them out in less that 30 Seconds. We store them in the soft case they come in, the officer told us that this is an offence and that they have to be "accessible" and that we cant have them in that case under the bow. I was surprised as I've never been told this by any other officer. He ended up not giving us the ticket as he probably knew that he was just trying to scare us. Reading the TC website, it only says life jackets have to be on board for every occupant...

Happy they're out there but dissapointed how we were treated....

PM
mastercaster1
Posted: Jul 08, 2018 - 02:49 pm

Parr Trout

Member No.: 11395

Curious, was it MNR or OPP?

PMEmail Poster
VBB
Posted: Jul 08, 2018 - 04:23 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 9650

I am thinking the same thing. MNR or OPP? Ive never had my equipment checked my MNR before. License and catch but that's it.

PMEmail Poster
Princecraft Guy
Posted: Jul 08, 2018 - 04:24 pm

Fry

Member No.: 8842

So not cool. I guess there are always a few bad apples whether on land or water. I actually was ticketed by OPP because the flashlight in my safety kit had dead battery. I also carry one of those Noco chargers that has all the bells and whistle including the light but because it didnt float it wasnt a suitable replacement for the dead light.

PMEmail Poster
Goshawk
Posted: Jul 08, 2018 - 08:29 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 11890

I haven't been checked so far this season, but I was checked 3 times last season....once on Pigeon and twice on Chemung. All 3 times, the MNR officer asked to see my safety equipment (not just the PFD which I was already wearing). The first time I was checked, my flashlight was brand new and I hadn't removed the paper that was over the top battery, which he told me I was responsible to check this before setting off. Problem solved in 10 secs. They were all courteous and helpful. The two officers in the OP's post were pretty unprofessional IMO, laughing about the predicament they left you guys in.

PMEmail Poster
DuckFever
Posted: Jul 09, 2018 - 09:09 pm

Parr Trout

Member No.: 5321

It was the MNR.

Was checked by the OPP last year and they were much better and kept there boat idling, kicking it into reverse whenever we were getting close to shore.

PM

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Kawartha Lakes
Fishing forum for the Kawartha Lakes & Area. Rice Lake, Lake Scugog, Sturgeon Lake, Balsam Lake, Chemong Lake, Buckhorn Lake, Pigeon Lake, Stoney Lake - Fishing Reports, Ice Conditions, walleye, bass, muskie, crappie, perch & more!

Marketplace