Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> picky pike!, they wont eat
donnypotato
Posted: May 13, 2018 - 10:14 pm

Parr Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 15247

i went to the green river today to check if it was active yet, there was perch that were to small and bass that i cant keep or fish for yet so i waited around and kept an eye out for some bigger perch but somthing even better happened, a pike swam by and it was a monster the biggest pike ive seen around here, looked 8 pounds at least but it wouldnt eat my hardbaits which was all i had should i try rubber baits next time or live bait?

PMEmail Poster
mikechen92
Posted: May 14, 2018 - 12:39 pm

Alevin

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 12198

I was running into similar pike behaviour down by the humber bay this week. Seems like they are only actively feeding in a 30-45min window right after sunrise in the morning. When the sun is high and the water is clear they stop biting anything I threw at them.

PMEmail Poster
dmorrs35
Posted: May 15, 2018 - 11:58 am

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 8547

I find the same sort of thing when muskie fishing. sometimes the trick is to do a very slow retrieval with a big plastic (almost having to bounce it off their nose) or a slow retrieval with a very flashy spinner. it could P them off into a strike.

PMEmail Poster
cottagebum
Posted: May 16, 2018 - 09:18 am

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 3088

Small inline spinners often do the trick too. Mepps/Vibrax styles in sizes 3 -5 are just about right. Sometimes pike just want a little snack when the waters still cold. You could also try smaller hair jigs in dark colors. 1/4 oz bucktail and marabou are a good bet. Just toss them out and swim them slow...

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Lake Simcoe
Fishing forum for Lake Simcoe & Area. Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Discussions & More. Featuring Ice Hut Rentals, Accommodations, Bait & Tackle shops, Marinas and Fishing Guides. The best fishing in Simcoe County!

Marketplace