Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Cold, Windy, Snowy and no fish
Species8472
Posted: Feb 17, 2021 - 07:45 pm

Smolt Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 16923

Went up to our place on family day to do a maintenance check and sure enough the snow load on the roof while not critical was getting close. Spent the rest of the day shoveling.

Attached Image

By the time i was done i was wiped so ate dinner and went to bed. Set the alarm for 6 am with the plan being to spend the day on Nipissing before heading back home. Conditions Tuesday morning were -21, snowing and windy. Figured i am going anyways as who knows with COVID as to when the next chance will be. Got on the ice at Fish Bay. Cleared the islands in South Bay without too much issue but once in the open this was the view:

Attached Image

After 15 minutes of those conditions the sun became just barely visible in the sky. Problem was it was in my face and not at my back where it's supposed to be. I had gotten completely turned around in the haze. Got my compass out and with the sun popping out off/on i was able to keep my bearings and get to my target location. My visor kept getting a frozen glaze on it so i rode must of the way with it open in order to see. My face when i arrived at my spot:

Attached Image

Got set up in record time due to the cold and wind although getting the shelter up was a little tricky solo in the wind. The set up:

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Temperature eventually made it to -14 but the wind never died. Visibility improved to this by about lunch time:

Attached Image

By lunch time i still had nothing to show for my efforts so packed up and headed 10 km across the open lake to the Manitou islands. Got one small perch there and other than that nothing. Headed back to the truck around 5 pm. Snow was 10 to 18 inches and varied from hardpack to soft powder. Periodic slush pockets but keeping it a decent speed worked fine. Ice was 17 inches at Meadow Bay and 14 inches at the Manitous. Total distance traveled was just over 45 km but probably 5 km or so was a loop when i got turned around.

PMEmail Poster
fishmagnet
Posted: Feb 17, 2021 - 07:55 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 515

Awesome report , to bad all that effort didn't reward you lots of fish..NEXT TIME!!

PMEmail Poster
Northcar
Posted: Feb 17, 2021 - 10:53 pm

Parr Trout

Member No.: 6384

Never travel on the lake without a compass!
Good for you to carry one.
Sorry about your luck, better luck next time👍🏻

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Lake Nipissing
Fishing forum for Lake Nipissing & Area. Fishing for walleye/pickerel, muskie, pike, bass, perch, crappie and more. Local Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Tactics, Discussions & More. Northern Ontario Fishing at it's Best!