Fishing Forum  Fishing Regs  
 Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
Pages: 1 2 3 4   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Open liquor on a boat
dmorrs35
Posted: Jul 30, 2018 - 12:38 pm

Trophy Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 8547

QUOTE (Fisherman @ Jul 30, 2018 - 08:28 am)
If you don't have a drivers licence, they will create a file on you so if you ever go to get a licence there'll already be a black mark.

Fisherman, I agree to an extent... the issue with that is the boating license is just a cash grab from the government over something they actually care about. you pass a 20 question multiple test designed so the extremely stupid and people without common sense can pass... government gets the license fee, taxes when you buy/rent a boat, they don't care... my mom who had never been in a boat until she was 30, never read the handbook, never actually drove a boat in her life (even to this day), sat down in the boat the first time and asked "where is the gas pedal and your break?" "why doesn't your steering wheel have a horn?" passed the test and can legally drive a boat... the testing process SHOULD be a written test, much harder than it is, AND a driving test... the government doesn't actually care about the license, because they get the money for those responsible enough to get the license, and then can charge those who get caught without one. don't get me started on the driver's license for cars...

PMEmail Poster
sabmgb
Posted: Jul 30, 2018 - 02:02 pm

Parr Trout

Member No.: 15901

Boat licenses are such a joke, even when you had to sit in a class. I sat in the class that my 2 boys took (I have had license since started), some one else's kid failed, instructor went over the wrong answers by saying are you sure you didn't mean D. Another adult couldn't read answered zero questions and passed. All a joke.

PMEmail Poster
Fish4Dinner
Posted: Jul 30, 2018 - 08:02 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 26

The guys were charged with open liquor... not operating under the influence. So like one said above... some passages like to enjoy a drink or two.... a ticket not worth arguing over really.

PMEmail Poster
Longshank
Posted: Jul 30, 2018 - 09:03 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 118

it's so simple I wonder every day cause I see it every day.

no booze while vessel under power......only at anchor or at the dock.

I have a zero tolerance policy on my boat, and have heard every argument known to man why 'we should be able to have a couple of beers etc."

NO/zero/none. get used to it

PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Fisherman
Posted: Jul 30, 2018 - 10:33 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 25

QUOTE (Longshank @ Jul 30, 2018 - 09:03 pm)
it's so simple I wonder every day cause I see it every day.

no booze while vessel under power......only at anchor or at the dock.

I have a zero tolerance policy on my boat, and have heard every argument known to man why 'we should be able to have a couple of beers etc."

NO/zero/none. get used to it

Amen. You could probably write a good book why you need booze.

PM
Reelpro
Posted: Sep 25, 2018 - 03:41 pm

Alevin

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 4961

best one I heard this year was a guy charged for open liqueur in his boat tied to his dock while he was cleaning it

Impaired operating a boat is a recipe for disaster

Open liqueur is not an impaired charge - if you really want a cold one with your lunch just be prepared to fork out the $150'for a fine if Officer Save happens by

Fossy47
Posted: Sep 25, 2018 - 05:00 pm

Adult Trout

Member No.: 9546

dmorrs35...X2.
This isn't complicated....don't drink and drive.....a truck/car/boat/RV...anything motorized. It isn't worth it. The penalties are extensive especially if people are hurt.

We all agree there have been too many families torn apart by drunk drivers who 'thought' he/she were 'OK to drive'.
Just my two cents,

PMEmail Poster
Chingachcook
Posted: Sep 26, 2018 - 06:41 pm

Fry

Member No.: 12172

At times I think the CO's get a little power drunk.

Your on shore.. cooking up shore lunch with a half dozen guys.Between gathering brush for the fire in the fire pit... unpacking the shorelunch kit.. .. cleaning up an extra couple of fish for fillets and taking a swim to cool down on a hot summer aftertoon you crack a beer on shore to add to the moment.

Its not as if sedition and treason against the state is about to unfold here yet CO's are well within their rights to show up and pass out tickets for open liquor in public.

So whats the verdict boys ? A ticket for open liquor in public . or no harm no foul.

What those kids did is the same as what I just described within the purvey of the law. I am not defending them. Just playing the same thing back with a different context.

Somehow I think in your guts... your saying its different.

Its always a different opinion if its you and your guys in the gun sights.

This post has been edited by Chingachcook on Sep 26, 2018 - 06:45 pm

PMEmail Poster
Chingachcook
Posted: Sep 28, 2018 - 01:06 pm

Fry

QUOTE (Reelpro @ Sep 25, 2018 - 04:41 pm)
best one I heard this year was a guy charged for open liqueur in his boat tied to his dock while he was cleaning it

Impaired operating a boat is a recipe for disaster

Open liqueur is not an impaired charge - if you really want a cold one with your lunch just be prepared to fork out the $150'for a fine if Officer Save happens by

So here's the thing... One arm of the provincial government, Tourism Ontario spends time, money and effort to attract tourists to north east Ontario.Lord knows the area can use the help. They put ads in newspapers, do TV spots to attract people to come and visit to the area to the benefit of the outfitters and the tertiary business in the area. Very good stuff.

Yet same provincial government defeats that marketing campaign to help business in NE Ontario by failing to provide "rules of engagment training" to CO's who feel that a 150$ ticket to a guy cleaning up his pride and joy at the dock is saving democracy.

Simply put. Its dumb.

PMEmail Poster
Longshank
Posted: Sep 28, 2018 - 08:50 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 118

no comment.....edited

Chingachcook
Posted: Sep 29, 2018 - 01:56 pm

Fry

QUOTE (Longshank @ Sep 28, 2018 - 09:50 pm)
no comment.....edited

??????????? unedited.

Like you.. have seen much.

Let me tell you a story.

Lakair when Kevin ran the place was a going concern. Lots of repeat clients from places like Ohio, Michigan and Pennsyvania. Charlie a die hard musky man used to come up from Ohio pretty much every year in the 90's. He used to bring his two kids.. then his three and finally he had a fourth. Stand up guy. So one hot July afternoon Charlie loaded up his 4 kids and anchored his boat on the current line under the bridge at 64 Hiway. Its about 200 feet away from the docks.

They were fishing for perch. Whoops and hollers all afternoon long. Pretty happy with being a dad Charlie cracked open a can of beer and within 15 minutes the CO puttered by and gave Charlie his reward for taking the kids out and enjoying himself. A ticket.

Never saw Charlie after that.

Kevins gone.. and so is his lodge...SO maybe.. just maybe a little judgement can be applied vis a vis the situation rather than the the default "the law is the law."

Just saying...

==========

This post has been edited by Chingachcook on Sep 29, 2018 - 02:01 pm

PMEmail Poster
westarm
Posted: Sep 30, 2018 - 08:15 am

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 8318

QUOTE (Chingachcook @ Sep 29, 2018 - 02:56 pm)
no comment.....edited

??????????? unedited.

Let me tell you a story.

Lakair when Kevin ran the place was a going concern. Lots of repeat clients from places like Ohio, Michigan and Pennsyvania. Charlie a die hard musky man used to come up from Ohio pretty much every year in the 90's. He used to bring his two kids.. then his three and finally he had a fourth. Stand up guy. So one hot July afternoon Charlie loaded up his 4 kids and anchored his boat on the current line under the bridge at 64 Hiway. Its about 200 feet away from the docks.

They were fishing for perch. Whoops and hollers all afternoon long. Pretty happy with being a dad Charlie cracked open a can of beer and within 15 minutes the CO puttered by and gave Charlie his reward for taking the kids out and enjoying himself. A ticket.

Kevins gone.. and so is his lodge...SO maybe.. just maybe a little judgement can be applied vis a vis the situation rather than the the default "the law is the law."

Just saying...

==========

as much as I agree with your opinion, we all know the risk we take having a beer in public places where we all are fully aware of the consequences.

fact of the matter is if you get a ticket for that you should never be surprised. its like getting a parking ticket and being shocked. its not new and its been going on for ages, the way each individual case is handled many times is solely dependant on the attitude on the folks involved, i've seen one ticket issued to a few people suggesting "just split it" and I've seen them give every arrogant, ignorant person one. I have also seen no ticket issued and a warning.

if you decide to have a beer somewhere you shouldn't be having one take your lumps and show some respect is about all I can offer for advice.

do I agree with it being illegal to have a beer on a docked or anchored boat while the kids have a swim or my crew to have a drink while out for a joyride? short answer is if the driver is sober and no one is bothering anybody or making a scene then not a problem, however my "opinion" doesn't matter because it doesn't change the law.

PMEmail Poster
Chingachcook
Posted: Sep 30, 2018 - 12:05 pm

Fry

QUOTE (westarm @ Sep 30, 2018 - 09:15 am)
QUOTE (Chingachcook @ Sep 29, 2018 - 02:56 pm)
no comment.....edited

??????????? unedited.

Let me tell you a story.

Just saying...

==========

as much as I agree with your opinion, we all know the risk we take having a beer in public places where we all are fully aware of the consequences.

fact of the matter is if you get a ticket for that you should never be surprised. its like getting a parking ticket and being shocked. its not new and its been going on for ages, the way each individual case is handled many times is solely dependant on the attitude on the folks involved, i've seen one ticket issued to a few people suggesting "just split it" and I've seen them give every arrogant, ignorant person one. I have also seen no ticket issued and a warning.

if you decide to have a beer somewhere you shouldn't be having one take your lumps and show some respect is about all I can offer for advice.

do I agree with it being illegal to have a beer on a docked or anchored boat while the kids have a swim or my crew to have a drink while out for a joyride? short answer is if the driver is sober and no one is bothering anybody or making a scene then not a problem, however my "opinion" doesn't matter because it doesn't change the law.

Fair ball.. .yet no more than 40 miles as the crow flies from Nippissing to Temmiskaming .. Doing the exact same thing elicits no response at all.

The only difference is an artificial provincial boundary in the same general area. I guess Quebecers trust themselves more than we do.

I am not an advocate or supporter of drinking and operating a boat, car, truck, motorcycle or power equipment. Just trying to bring a view to a "we the government know better than you do and we are just smarter on how you should conduct yourself in public" law that allows for judgement.

Driving a boat or car and over .8... you know the rules.

Not driving a boat, or sitting on the rocks or or having a single beer 200 feet from your dock while you untangle and tie and bait lines for 4 kids and the boat is anchored and stationary is all judgement.

One size does not fit all. :-)

PMEmail Poster
ldub
Posted: Sep 30, 2018 - 02:43 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 4441

If I ruled the world, I would make laws that are extra fair and lenient. Therefore there would be no grey area and all violators would be charged. It's my belief, the only reason authorities have the option of handing out warning and using judgement is because the laws are far too strict to begin with, I think laws are made too strict to keep us common folk down and basically scare the crap out of us to the point where we error on the side of extra caution. jmo.

PMEmail Poster
Chingachcook
Posted: Sep 30, 2018 - 04:02 pm

Fry

QUOTE (ldub @ Sep 30, 2018 - 03:43 pm)
If I ruled the world, I would make laws that are extra fair and lenient. Therefore there would be no grey area and all violators would be charged. It's my belief, the only reason authorities have the option of handing out warning and using judgement is because the laws are far too strict to begin with, I think laws are made too strict to keep us common folk down and basically scare the crap out of us to the point where we error on the side of extra caution. jmo.

What I am on about is whats been called "old biddy-ism" . A style of thinking that says if I am against it.. no one can have a good time. Like some old lady who doesn't have a drink in a bar.. there should be no bars. None. Because I don't like it you can't have any fun either.

The best example of "old biddy-ism" is prohibition. Where during the great depression.. not only were you poor you couldn't have a drink . Another government roaring success. Prohibition was repealed after a few years and cheered from coast to coast. A serious shot to the chops of the you can't have any fun on your volition types.

After getting their a## kicked hard on Prohibition we in Ontario still got stuck with for years with some of the most restrictive social drinking legislation laws you can think of.

Thirty five years ago you couldn't buy a drink on a Sunday ! No sir. Not on Sunday.
Then embarrassed into change the gov't of the day said OK.. your old enough to buy a drink on Sunday.. BUT you have to by food. Which was met with 4 beers and a grilled cheese sandwich on 4 plates response.

You take it for granted but 25 years ago you couldn't get a beer at the ball park. No sir. It was toooooo dangerous.

People and bar owners asked for extended hours.. You could only have a drink for Noon to 1AM.. Please was the ask.. Your government responded with an extra hour. You could have a beer at 11. That piece of total idiocy has been rectified.. You still open at 11 but now you can have the bar staff bang the vaccum cleaner into your feet and table at 2am instead of 1am.

Lots of things have changed thankfully and "biddy-ness" has taken a shot to the chops.

You can in two weeks smoke weed anywhere you want as if you were smoking a cigarette or a cigar........However... god forbid you have a beer on the rocks while having lunch. No sir. Thats sedition and treason and worth a fine if you dare do that.

Its going to be easier to smoke weed on the streets of downtown Toronto than have an ice cold beer in your bathing suit on the rocks on Lake Nippissing.

Just sayin.

You have the con Longshank and Fisherrman...Tell me why I can light up a joint on Yonge street and thats OK but I can't have a beer on the rocks at lunch on Lake Nippissing.

This post has been edited by Chingachcook on Sep 30, 2018 - 04:20 pm

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Pages: 1 2 3 4  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Lake Nipissing
Fishing forum for Lake Nipissing & Area. Fishing for walleye/pickerel, muskie, pike, bass, perch, crappie and more. Local Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Tactics, Discussions & More. Northern Ontario Fishing at it's Best!

Marketplace