Fishing Forum  Fishing Regs  
 Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
Pages: 1 2 3 4   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Open liquor on a boat
ldub
Posted: Sep 30, 2018 - 05:05 pm

Trophy Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 4441

I agree man, Alcohol has been vilified, to the point you would think it was brewed or distilled by the devil himself. It blew my mind when I realized there really was no way to prove you were high on pot driving around when it was illegal, but now that they are legalizing it, the search is in high gear for a proper road size test.

PMEmail Poster
Fisherman
Posted: Sep 30, 2018 - 08:00 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 25

QUOTE (ldub @ Sep 30, 2018 - 05:05 pm)
I agree man, Alcohol has been vilified, to the point you would think it was brewed or distilled by the devil himself. It blew my mind when I realized there really was no way to prove you were high on pot driving around when it was illegal, but now that they are legalizing it, the search is in high gear for a proper road size test.

Apparantely there is a machine that works with saliva to see how much thc is in your system.
Coming to a station near you soon. Pot tester

PM
kokemachine
Posted: Oct 02, 2018 - 09:39 am

Adult Trout

Member No.: 4328

@Chingachcook

I believe the rules are that you cannot smoke cannabis in public only in your private residence. That rule is supposed to come with a very stiff fine. From what I understand it is something like a 1000$ for your first offence and 5000$ for following offences. A little extreme when you consider that the ticket for drinking in public is something like 100$.

I agree with you that a lot of our alcohol rules are founded in temperance attitudes from times long past. I was listening to the radio the other day and the topic was drinking in public. Lots of people had very strong attitudes against it but there are many places in the world (even in Canada) with less stringent public drinking laws and they still maintain civility. I've often wondered why people think that a guy walking down the street drinking a beer is going to unwind society. If people are drinking and causing problems then they should have consequences. It makes sense. But a sip of beer isn't going to turn the average civilian into a violent criminal just because he or she is in public. I sometimes wonder if the reason why so many people are against it is because it has been this way for so long that it is hard to imagine it differently.

Drinking and operating a motorized vehicle is definitely a bad idea. I suppose the rules surrounding passengers drinking revolve around keeping the boat operator from being distracted or tempted I guess. I've had a few guests ask me to bring beer on my boat and I've given them a solid "No can do!" I like to keep my money and I don't like fines. I wonder if one was to compare stats between Ontario and Quebec (where they allow passengers to drink in a boat) if alcohol related accidents were more common or not.

Getting fined for having alcohol in your boat while it's tied to a dock and you're cleaning it seems like a situation where a warning would be more appropriate than a fine. I wonder if there is more to that story.

I remember years ago fishing for mud cats at night from the back of my brother's boat while it was tied to a dock. I didn't have keys to the boat but I was drinking a beer. The only reason I was in the boat was because it had nice chairs for me to sit on and rod holders. I wonder if an officer found me fishing like that if I would receive a fine. I'll be more careful to avoid that in the future.

I've read recently that drinking in a canoe can land you impaired driving charges. Although I think that drinking in a canoe is a bad idea and potentially dangerous to the canoeists, I think that an impaired driving charge is an over step of the law. There are already laws regarding drinking in public and negligence and I think an impaired driving charge is a little much. If one doesn't need a licence to operate a canoe then I don't think they should lose another kind of license for being impaired in one. That being said, don't drink and canoe, folks, they are already wobbly enough without a drunk dude in them.

PMEmail Poster
Chingachcook
Posted: Oct 02, 2018 - 10:34 am

Fry

Member No.: 12172

QUOTE (kokemachine @ Oct 02, 2018 - 10:39 am)
@Chingachcook

I believe the rules are that you cannot smoke cannabis in public only in your private residence.  That rule is supposed to come with a very stiff fine. From what I understand it is something like a 1000$ for your first offence and 5000$ for following offences.  A little extreme when you consider that the ticket for drinking in public is something like 100$.

I agree with you that a lot of our alcohol rules are founded in temperance attitudes from times long past.  I was listening to the radio the other day and the topic was drinking in public.  Lots of people had very strong attitudes against it but there are many places in the world (even in Canada) with less stringent public drinking laws and they still maintain civility.  I've often wondered why people think that a guy walking down the street drinking a beer is going to unwind society.  If people are drinking and causing problems then they should have consequences.  It makes sense.  But a sip of beer isn't going to turn the average civilian into a violent criminal just because he or she is in public.  I sometimes wonder if the reason why so many people are against it is because it has been this way for so long that it is hard to imagine it differently. 

Drinking and operating a motorized vehicle is definitely a bad idea.  I suppose the rules surrounding passengers drinking revolve around keeping the boat operator from being distracted or tempted I guess.  I've had a few guests ask me to bring beer on my boat and I've given them a solid "No can do!"  I like to keep my money and I don't like fines.  I wonder if one was to compare stats between Ontario and Quebec (where they allow passengers to drink in a boat) if alcohol related accidents were more common or not.

Getting fined for having alcohol in your boat while it's tied to a dock and you're cleaning it seems like a situation where a warning would be more appropriate than a fine.  I wonder if there is more to that story.

I remember years ago fishing for mud cats at night from the back of my brother's boat while it was tied to a dock.  I didn't have keys to the boat but I was drinking a beer.  The only reason I was in the boat was because it had nice chairs for me to sit on and rod holders.  I wonder if an officer found me fishing like that if I would receive a fine.  I'll be more careful to avoid that in the future.

I've read recently that drinking in a canoe can land you impaired driving charges.  Although I think that drinking in a canoe is a bad idea and potentially dangerous to the canoeists, I think that an impaired driving charge is an over step of the law.  There are already laws regarding drinking in public and negligence and I think an impaired driving charge is a little much.  If one doesn't need a licence to operate a canoe then I don't think they should lose another kind of license for being impaired in one.  That being said, don't drink and canoe, folks, they are already wobbly enough without a drunk dude in them.

No friend.. unfortunately your 100% incorrect in your belief that you cannot smoke weed or cannabis in any public venue that you would also be permitted to smoke tobacco in. See below.

https://www.thestar.com/news/queenspark/201...lic-places.html

Our legislators have yet work though how smoking in public that is qualitatively and quantitatively is somehow different from having a cold beer in a provincial park with lunch. Its good that the legislation exists because from time to time there are situations that arise that judgement calls for the OPP or the town cops to hit someone with a fine for open liquor in public. Its a tool in the tool box for the police to keep a situation from escalating into something no one wants. Breaking up a rave in provincial park. Putting the breaks on a tailgate party at a football game.

However ...having a beer while you have shore lunch doesn't fit that premise. Nor does the the perceived crime of your fishing partner in the front of the boat having a cold one on a very hot August afternoon. You don't. Your driving.

What makes it all the more galling is that in conjunction with the view on cannabis (which we will see in time if it gets modified or not) is that its not an offense to partake in the aforementioned situations not 50 miles from where we spend the summer.

That your view is no beer in your boat is your right to say so. I support that. My view is that its within reason in my boat ....for the purpose of having one at lunch... is also fine in light of a compare to using weed in public and not putting the general public in harms way.

The OPP and the CO's are wrong on this when they start ticketing people randomly on the lake. 100% Dead a## wrong.

This post has been edited by Chingachcook on Oct 02, 2018 - 10:38 am

PMEmail Poster
westarm
Posted: Oct 02, 2018 - 11:25 am

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 8318

Boat passengers may consume alcohol on board a boat in Ontario so long as the boat has a permanent toilet, cooking facilities, sleeping facilities and it is anchored or docked.

anything outside these circumstances is either a drinking out of residence or impaired charge in the case of the captain testing above legal limit.

I have had a million arguments lets call them about where and when you can drink on a boat. under NO circumstances are people allowed to drink on a docked or anchored boat without a permanent toilet, cooking facilities and sleeping facilities. that said while said boat is under power or not anchored or docked it is ILLEGAL to drink on it.

the only time it is allowed in Ontario is with a liquor license.

the guy cleaning his boat and drinking on it at his dock is NOT legal unless it contained all the above facilities. my guess is that he was likely arrogant or ignorant to the officer as most may have just warned him, just my opinion.

PMEmail Poster
Fishing Rod
Posted: Oct 02, 2018 - 11:44 am

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 4539

I believe you also have to show that you are anchored for the night if you or anyone are drinking

PMEmail Poster
kokemachine
Posted: Oct 02, 2018 - 12:17 pm

Adult Trout

Member No.: 4328

Ha, crazy. I guess the last thing I read was dated info. Thanks for the article. That's interesting. I figured they would start with very strict rules and then relax them over time but I guess the opposite is what is going to happen in the case of public consumption. I would hope that people would at the very least be discreet in the places they choose to partake but I suspect that at first those who enjoy cannabis will be blowing big clouds everywhere as a reaction to the end of cannabis prohibition.

PMEmail Poster
westarm
Posted: Oct 02, 2018 - 01:08 pm

Lunker Trout

interesting story, a buddy of mine who I have been fishing with for years and I started an unusual and random tradition years and years ago.

from time to time when packing the cooler bag at 5am ish before leaving the dock one of us would slip 2 beers in the bag and sometime around 8am we would pull into a cove somewhere and one would announce "want a breakfast beer?"

don't ask me why or what started it but it was always one of those very fine up north moments that signified you were on vacation and nothing else really mattered even to the point of "yes, its ok to drink beer for breakfast on vacation" kinda like a 3 year old can have chocolate easter morning.

it was a "cheers!" and a 15 minute break just to take everything in, the water like glass, the trees, not a sound of anything but the odd sound of a topwater fish feeding on a bug. it was a larger than life moment! great times!

anyway, there was no harm, no foul, no litter, no intoxication, one beer that tasted like the very best thing on the planet considering the surroundings, one each and back to fishing. neither of us thought for one second we were "breaking the law" but it is what it is! it was our tradition.

cheers! to that 1 beer that gives you the warm fuzzies wherever it may be. from time to time in life you just gotta do what feels right.

ps. now its just a baileys in the coffee at 5am, just not the same.

PMEmail Poster
Chingachcook
  Posted: Oct 02, 2018 - 02:38 pm

Fry

Member No.: 12172

QUOTE (westarm @ Oct 02, 2018 - 12:25 pm)
Boat passengers may consume alcohol on board a boat in Ontario so long as the boat has a permanent toilet, cooking facilities, sleeping facilities and it is anchored or docked.

anything outside these circumstances is either a drinking out of residence or impaired charge in the case of the captain testing above legal limit.

I have had a million arguments lets call them about where and when you can drink on a boat. under NO circumstances are people allowed to drink on a docked or anchored boat without a permanent toilet, cooking facilities and sleeping facilities. that said while said boat is under power or not anchored or docked it is ILLEGAL to drink on it.

the guy cleaning his boat and drinking on it at his dock is NOT legal unless it contained all the above facilities. my guess is that he was likely arrogant or ignorant to the officer as most may have just warned him, just my opinion.

So whaddya think... Jail time or lethal injection ? https://www.lakesimcoeoutdoors.com/forums/s...c-704/icon6.gif

How many fishing boats have a toilet on them unless you count going over the side ?

So to recap... Its OK if you have a big boat in the channel to have your friends/guests have an adult social beveridge on lazy summer afternoon.. but if your running a giesler with a 25HP your crap outta luck..

And.. you can light up on the dock in front the OPP cruiser but you can't have a beer.

The comedic nature of what is an egregious double standard could be addressed with a session with the CO's and the OPP in May as the season opens. A kind of "don't embarrass me and I won't embarrass you" kind of talk. These guys have been around the block. They know what they are looking for.

We have beat this to death.... thanks for the audience.

This post has been edited by Chingachcook on Oct 02, 2018 - 02:47 pm

PMEmail Poster
Longshank
Posted: Oct 02, 2018 - 06:36 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 118

PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Bayliner
Posted: Oct 02, 2018 - 07:07 pm

World Record Trout
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 22

Beaten to death, I agree.

About the guy having a beer when cleaning his boat is nuts though. There's a very small percentage of waterfront property owners that actually do own well past their shoreline. I am one of them. My boat, when moored at my dock is on my property. If the key isn't aboard, I am not breaking any law. No different than washing your car in the driveway.

If I ever get charged for it, I'll be fighting it in court.

For the most part, I think a lot of our laws are just plain silly.

PMEmail Poster
Longshank
Posted: Oct 02, 2018 - 07:41 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 118

that's the point thee John.....there are so many variables when folks relate a story
that it makes it almost meaningless.

none of us were there, none know what verbage was exchanged and for good ole Charlie

a visitor to Canada. he was most likely doing this for a very long time and imo not with his grandsons on board, most likely vented at CO.....again just an opinion

pay the fricken fine and move on

PMEmail PosterUsers Website
chazD
Posted: Oct 02, 2018 - 08:46 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 11172

Wow. Hopefully this is the end of that topic. I'm sure we are guilty of having a beverage or 2 in the boat. The law is the law. If you want to take the chance, that's up to the individual, Just don't be surprised from the outcome of making that choice.

PMEmail Poster
morecowbell23
Posted: Oct 03, 2018 - 07:00 am

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 3596

PMEmail Poster
westarm
Posted: Oct 03, 2018 - 08:38 am

Lunker Trout

QUOTE (Chingachcook @ Oct 02, 2018 - 03:38 pm)
QUOTE (westarm @ Oct 02, 2018 - 12:25 pm)

So whaddya think... Jail time or lethal injection ? https://www.lakesimcoeoutdoors.com/forums/s...c-704/icon6.gif

How many fishing boats have a toilet on them unless you count going over the side ?

So to recap... Its OK if you have a big boat in the channel to have your friends/guests have an adult social beveridge on lazy summer afternoon.. but if your running a giesler with a 25HP your crap outta luck..

And.. you can light up on the dock in front the OPP cruiser but you can't have a beer.

The comedic nature of what is an egregious double standard could be addressed with a session with the CO's and the OPP in May as the season opens. A kind of "don't embarrass me and I won't embarrass you" kind of talk. These guys have been around the block. They know what they are looking for.

We have beat this to death.... thanks for the audience.

just for the record, I'm not agreeing with the way the law is, just merely printing the facts for anyone who might be confused, believe it or not folks come up with some crazy ideas as to what's fact and fiction with this topic.

I have heard "just bring a portable toilet, then its legal" WRONG!!

OR this one always kills me "no one cares up here" WRONG!!

I simply printed the "law" as it is stated

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Pages: 1 2 3 4  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Lake Nipissing
Fishing forum for Lake Nipissing & Area. Fishing for walleye/pickerel, muskie, pike, bass, perch, crappie and more. Local Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Tactics, Discussions & More. Northern Ontario Fishing at it's Best!

Marketplace