Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Minnow Trap Questions
robertmowen
Posted: Aug 30, 2018 - 10:02 am

Egg

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 16077

Hi Everyone,

I'm headed up to the South Shore on Sunday for a five nighter in Meadow Bay near Rusty Rock. Our cabin is pretty far away from the nearest marina. When we get to the cabin we like to stay and lack the conveniences of a run to town or the bait shop.

I have a minnow trap to help me find some live bait for the walleye, but I haven't had much success in recent years. Can I ask for some suggestions to help improve my chances? Where would you typically place a trap for success and what food do you place in the trap as attractant?

Thanks!

PMEmail Poster
deerhunter
Posted: Aug 30, 2018 - 12:16 pm

Trophy Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 10322

It's been over 40 years since I used a minnow trap. Growing up, I spent many summer vacations in Haliburton with my friend and we would always have a minnow trap set up in a small back-woods creek. We would bait the trap with small pieces of bread. Seemed to work for us.

PMEmail Poster
Fochy
Posted: Aug 30, 2018 - 12:26 pm

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 13370

Yah you need to find them before you set a trap knowing that they are there helps. Best spots are creeks or still ponds I have better results with dog food then bread but both work.

PMEmail Poster
fishmagnet
Posted: Aug 30, 2018 - 06:02 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 515

QUOTE (Fochy @ Aug 30, 2018 - 12:26 pm)
Yah you need to find them before you set a trap knowing that they are there helps. Best spots are creeks or still ponds I have better results with dog food then bread but both work.

Exactly what Fochy said...

PMEmail Poster
PrayforCold
Posted: Aug 30, 2018 - 06:27 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 7499

Have to agree with the other guys in regards to catching minnows. If that doesn't work out for you there is always the option to dig up worms or wait until after a rainfall to collect them. If you are lucky you may be able to find leeches under lilly pads and other shallow water plants. All three baits can work great. Good luck

PMEmail Poster
Sterling
Posted: Sep 10, 2018 - 11:15 am

Smolt Trout

Member No.: 9678

Trapped for a living when I was in school.

Try dry dog kibble instead of bread, it doesn't break up as easily and will trap longer.

PMEmail Poster
Ice
Posted: Sep 10, 2018 - 03:06 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 7713

Its been atleast 30 year since i used a minniw trap. Used to bait it with dry dog food and bread. Good luck.

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Lake Nipissing
Fishing forum for Lake Nipissing & Area. Fishing for walleye/pickerel, muskie, pike, bass, perch, crappie and more. Local Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Tactics, Discussions & More. Northern Ontario Fishing at it's Best!

Marketplace