Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> More fisheries collaboration between OMNRF and NFN
Grumpa
Posted: Oct 02, 2018 - 07:02 pm

Lunker Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 4676

The positive relationship and joint efforts continue. This continues to bode well for the future of the Nipissing fishery.

https://www.nugget.ca/news/local-news/minis...ssing-fisheries

PM
Longshank
Posted: Oct 02, 2018 - 07:08 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 118

Thanks for keeping us updated on this Grumpa

PMEmail PosterUsers Website
smalleye99
Posted: Nov 03, 2018 - 11:11 am

Fry

Member No.: 14006

Has anyone seen any detailed annual reporting on the state of the Lake Nipissing walleye fishery relative to the expected performance of the fishery since the 2014 implementation of 2 fish >46cm?

The annoucements of the impending netting work come each fall and then "crickets" once the data is collected and analyzed.

Why is that?

PMEmail Poster
Fishchaser67
Posted: Nov 04, 2018 - 11:37 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 4782

Another great update ...Thanks Grumpa

PMEmail Poster
Grumpa
Posted: Nov 04, 2018 - 02:32 pm

Lunker Trout

QUOTE (smalleye99 @ Nov 03, 2018 - 11:11 am)
The annoucements of the impending netting work come each fall and then "crickets" once the data is collected and analyzed.

Why is that?

smalleye99, I think you were asking the same questions back in April.

https://www.lakesimcoeoutdoors.com/forums/i...de=#entry313473

Nothing much has changed or been announced publicly since then, that I'm aware of.
All I have since April is this
-it was insinuated to me in September, by someone supposedly in the know, that an MNRF statement regarding the lake was possibly forthcoming this past October. 'buddy' had an understanding in April that it would come in November. Nothing, I know of, has been published, yet. Would love to be proven wrong on that.
-NFN announced in August it would be curtailing the 2018 commercial fishing season early again on September 15th as they were approaching the agreed upon 2018 commercial harvest quota of 20,000kg.
-The NFN gave some vague insights in their 2017-18 MOU update regarding trends noted during the spring spawning assessments.

http://www.nfn.ca/documents/nr/mnrf_nfn_mo...essible_318.pdf

-I do know the MNRF publication and communication department was stretched to the limit, and likely backlogged, due to the extraordinarily busy northern fire season this past summer. So I'm just guessing...that Nipissing fishery announcements maybe weren't a priority...if they ever were.
-the 5 year interim review/update of the 10 year fisheries management plan is still approaching, supposedly? this coming spring.
That's all I got.
Sorry I don't have anything more revealing or pertinent to report.
Anyone else with more revelant, up to date information or knowledge on the matter please chime in.

PM
smalleye99
Posted: Nov 06, 2018 - 09:40 am

Fry

I'm thinking the fire panic was a northeastern Ontario thing as opposed to the standard northwestern Ontario thing which was quiet. In otherwords there was no extra workload. The limited capacity of communications to facilitate information sharing on this issue was long over, if it ever really existed, by later August with maybe the exception of the Parry Sound fire.

It is not that I am impatient I can wait 10 yrs if I trust that the walleye trajectory forecast by the modelling is atleast something similar to what is happening. There are a myriad of standard measures that were laid down in the plan that could easily be reported on but are not. Trust is not in great supply when annual assessments are conducted and no results are provided year after year. There is no good reason not to provide the information even if it comes with statistical caveats.

As for the Advisory Council they have no idea why they are not involved in the fishery in any capacity. I know one of the members personally and that person finds it an insult to volunteerism that the council seems to have been cast aside.

PMEmail Poster
Grumpa
Posted: Nov 14, 2018 - 01:56 pm

Lunker Trout

QUOTE (smalleye99 @ Nov 06, 2018 - 09:40 am)
Trust is not in great supply when annual assessments are conducted and no results are provided year after year. There is no good reason not to provide the information even if it comes with statistical caveats.

We've only just finished 4 spring spawning assessments (and 5 full open water seasons) since the current walleye regs were implemented.
The most recent spawning assessment would have been virtually the 1st to show any real evidence of 'new' spawning fish brought into the system since the regulatory changes of 2014...and not many of those fish would have been 'new' spawning females yet...the limited findings to date would be initially skewed heavy with male fish (which NFN pretty much indicated in their MOU update).
The spring spawning assessments are the most critical data collection because they concentrate large numbers of the 'spawning' population, at historically well identified and documented locations, during a specific narrow time window...where they can be easily and successfully monitored, aged and sampled.
Given that, I can't imagine there would be sufficient sampling data collected (yet) from subsequent spring spawning assessments since 2014...to make a definitive conclusion or even suggest trends one way or another.
Frankly, I think it preferable that the OMNRF be certain the data is showing verifiable and consist trends before saying anything.
The last thing the fishery needs is for the OMNRF to go off half cocked releasing minimal preliminary findings each year, only to have to back track, revise or contradict early announcements predicated on limited, insufficient or inconclusive data.
That would be the worse case scenario and the cause of more doubt and distrust in the whole recovery process then just being certain before conclusions are drawn, data released and findings announced.
We've been there and done that over the ten years leading up to the release of the lake's official management plan and perhaps the OMNRF learned it's lesson from those past mistakes.

The fact that there is regular sampling and data collection, at different times throughout the year, by all engaged fisheries partners...that's the most important aspect right now.
If they weren't spending the money, time and manpower on that part of the process...I might be more impatient and concerned.
When the OMNRF feels it has enough to make announcements/updates or release data/findings...it will likely do so...but with some confidence in any statements made, conclusions drawn or new regs implemented.
Personally, I'm quite happy for now to just revel in the anecdotal evidence from regular lake sports fishermen over the last two years...and happy to include my own families observations are confirming the same results.

Over the last 2 years my wife's kept detailed records of fishing results out of our location (she uses a handheld counter and asks everyone to keep track).
2017 much improved...this year even better...back to what we were probably seeing 20 years ago. Our boats averaged 12+ walleye an hour from season opener to mid September. Total catch just shy of 600 walleye for the summer...total catch numbers up 9% from 2017 (based on near identical fishing effort)...fish over slot totalled 34, more then double the number caught in 2017 (so fish in the system before the current regs are possibly getting to larger sizes)...and we fish a pretty small area centered around South Bay. From what I'm hearing...those results are well below some numbers others are experiencing. The only downside I can report...we haven't caught a 29-30+" fish in close to 7 maybe 8 years now. I think the largest anyone caught, out of our group, this past summer...was 26". It may take awhile, maybe 13-15 years into this recovery, before any significant numbers of those sized fish start showing up again. Small geographic sample sizes, hard to extrapolate to the entire lakes population...so take it for what it's worth.
But...I literally can't wait to see what 2019 brings.

PM
Warlock
Posted: Nov 14, 2018 - 02:50 pm

Parr Trout

Member No.: 8012

Always interesting and informative posts Grumpa.

PMEmail Poster
smalleye99
Posted: Nov 14, 2018 - 03:53 pm

Fry

If the 2014 plan was to tinker around the edges with the fishery and reduce harvest by, say 10%, then I could buy the notion that its too early to tell.

When the 2014 planned annual total harvest was to drop to 30,000kg (from the 100,000 kg harvest of the past) where anglers and commerical fishing each take 15,000kg there is an expectation that recovery of walleye biomass would be rapid and substantive in the following years. I'm suprised the walleye fishery isn't better than it is and that it wasn't waaay better by 2017, yet here we are with no annual status of the resource despite the 2014 plan committing to that very thing.

Happy to be catching walleye, yes. Confidence that the fisheries plan is being implemented as written and endorsed by the advisory council, approved by the Minister, not so much.

Where did the plan say we would be by now and are we there? That is essentially all I ask. Don't tell me nobody has looked at the annually collected to answer that question annually.

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Lake Nipissing
Fishing forum for Lake Nipissing & Area. Fishing for walleye/pickerel, muskie, pike, bass, perch, crappie and more. Local Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Tactics, Discussions & More. Northern Ontario Fishing at it's Best!

Marketplace