Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Who uses live bait?, We're talking worms, minnow, and leeches
colanut
Posted: Jul 02, 2018 - 02:41 pm

Smolt Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 14818

I have had a lot of luck fishing with worms. A bit messy, but highly successful., I have a whole pile of plastics, but live bait is hard to beat. A steel worm harness (pic below) and fish can't seem to resist it. I tried leeches last year, but the fish just wouldn't take it. They're too weird I guess. I like minnows in the fall, when they have a chance of surviving the drive to the lake without dying. I pretty much only fish minnows on the ice, though, unless I'm on Simcoe, where the Meegs seems to be the ticket. Anyone else use live bait, or am I a dying breed?

PMEmail Poster
colanut
Posted: Jul 02, 2018 - 02:46 pm

Smolt Trout

worm harness rigged. Not that by utilizing both hooks with the same worm, it looks like a big bait, including the beads and the blades. Unfortunately, it doesn't stop the panfish from going for it too.

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
colanut
Posted: Jul 02, 2018 - 02:49 pm

Smolt Trout

You can see from the pic that I added a split shot directly to the harness. I used to add it to the line, but it kept getting tangled with itself and the line. This way, problem solved. Now you can focus on fishing.

PMEmail Poster
fishmagnet
Posted: Jul 02, 2018 - 03:10 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 515

Oh yah minnows all the time.
I only target eye's so 90% of the time I have minnows on board...
White jig with minnow.. you

PMEmail Poster
Live_To_Fish
Posted: Jul 03, 2018 - 05:41 pm

Parr Trout

Member No.: 3513

Hey Colanut, that's all I èver use during the year, apart from plastics for spring crappie, but once summer rolls around all I use are minnows and I've gotten a lot of pb's on minnows. My rig is basically a live minnow rigged on a slip bobber with a #4 size weedless hook, set like 6 inches or so off bottom, works every time.

This post has been edited by Live_To_Fish on Jul 06, 2018 - 06:17 pm

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Kawartha Lakes
Fishing forum for the Kawartha Lakes & Area. Rice Lake, Lake Scugog, Sturgeon Lake, Balsam Lake, Chemong Lake, Buckhorn Lake, Pigeon Lake, Stoney Lake - Fishing Reports, Ice Conditions, walleye, bass, muskie, crappie, perch & more!

Marketplace