Fishing Forum  Fishing Regs  
 Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
Pages: 1 2   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Parry Sound District bass bonanza
Michael Kerwin
Posted: Aug 26, 2018 - 08:55 pm

Trophy Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 7520

Four days after my return from the Haliburton Highlands Water Trails with German relatives in tow, my son returned from a summer of camp counselling and, having a few days off before starting university, he and I headed up to a lake that Knuguy had told me about, a lake where 50+ smallmouth bass could be caught in a day. "You might be interested in trying out that lake," he said. It sounded too good to be true but as it was only a three hour drive away and a relatively short paddle in -- well, yes, there was a 945 metre portage in but it was in good shape -- we decided to give it a try and headed out for three days.

We arrived at our campsite about noon, set up camp and had lunch, then started to get ready to fish. The lake is small, relatively shallow, and filled with pockets of lily pads and arrowhead; there are numerous laydowns and submerged wood as well as rockier areas and the occasional shoal. Conditions were ideal with sunny skies and a fresh breeze from the west. With numerous bays and arms, the lake is well protected so, despite the winds, controlling the canoe was relatively easy.

The lake certainly did not disappoint! We caught approximately 30 bass Thursday afternoon, 40 bass Friday, and 10 bass in two hours of fishing Saturday morning before heading back to the put-in. Fish were caught in and around the many small areas of pads, around laydowns, areas of rock and rocky shoals. There was not one area that we fished that we did not land at least a couple of bass. Weightless Texas and wacky rigged Senkos, a Ned rig, plastic leeches, and flukes accounted for most of the fish caught; paddle tail swimbaits, shallow crankbaits, jerkbaits, and a popper also caught some fish. On several occasions over the three days, we had double headers. Most fish caught were around the 1 1/2 to 2 pound range; several 3 pounders and the occasional 4+ pound fish were also landed and released.

Needless to say, it was a memorable three days of fishing with my son! As a well-known former fishing show host once said, "Is this paradise or is this paradise?" and, in a couple of weeks, I will be heading back with Knuguy for a few more days of fishing in paradise.

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
Michael Kerwin
Posted: Aug 26, 2018 - 08:55 pm

Trophy Trout

Fish

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
Michael Kerwin
Posted: Aug 26, 2018 - 08:57 pm

Trophy Trout

More fish

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
Michael Kerwin
Posted: Aug 26, 2018 - 08:58 pm

Trophy Trout

And more fish

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
pickerel24
Posted: Aug 27, 2018 - 08:11 am

Adult Trout

Member No.: 8214

wow is all i can say. a great vacation the previous post and right back into the thick of things with your son. you are living the dream. keep it up. it will not get any better. But then who knows
cheers
pickerel 24

PMEmail Poster
FatRap
Posted: Aug 27, 2018 - 08:52 am

World Record Trout
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 1282

Good fishing + good times + good company = great memories.

Thanks for the report and the pics, love these little hidden gem lake reports

PMEmail Poster
Knuguy
Posted: Aug 27, 2018 - 09:23 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 877

Gee,MK, those bass got more fat on them than your son!! I recommended that lake mostly so he could finally catch some fish after getting skunked so many times in the crummy places you took him!!

PMEmail Poster
Ice
Posted: Aug 27, 2018 - 09:50 am

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 7713

Nice looking catch.

PMEmail Poster
Seguin Fisher
Posted: Aug 27, 2018 - 12:28 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 9952

Looks like a real fun couple of days. Those are defenitely not smallmouth though, but nice largemouth.

PMEmail Poster
sparky302
Posted: Aug 27, 2018 - 01:45 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 4572

Nice report !!! Memories to remember !!!

PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Michael Kerwin
Posted: Aug 27, 2018 - 03:50 pm

Trophy Trout

QUOTE (Knuguy @ Aug 27, 2018 - 09:23 am)
Gee,MK, those bass got more fat on them than your son!! I recommended that lake mostly so he could finally catch some fish after getting skunked so many times in the crummy places you took him!!

And who told me about those crummy places that we've fished?

PMEmail Poster
simsima
Posted: Aug 27, 2018 - 10:52 pm

Parr Trout

Member No.: 7808

Sounds like a Great trip.. those are the lakes I love too fish, The second photo is timeless if it was b&w you could say it was from your grand fathers time.

PMEmail Poster
ahalls
Posted: Aug 28, 2018 - 08:43 am

Fry

Member No.: 2638

great looking bass and your usual good write up!

PMEmail Poster
Knuguy
Posted: Aug 28, 2018 - 07:26 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 877

Another rare appearance by Mr. Al!!! Surfaces every now and then--- a bit like the Loch Ness monster!!!

PMEmail Poster
ahalls
Posted: Aug 29, 2018 - 09:53 pm

Fry

Member No.: 2638

Never realized how you must look forward to them Harold!!! Will have to try harder.....brace yourself - think i'm at around 40 or so...

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Pages: 1 2  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Northern Lakes
Fishing forum for Northern Ontario, including Muskoka, Algonquin & Bancroft Area Lakes. Fishing for brook trout, lake trout, bass, walleye, pickerel, muskie, pike, crappie, perch, splake and more. Northern Ontario fishing at it's Best!

Marketplace