Fishing Forum  Fishing Regs  
 Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
Pages: 1 2   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Navionics Phone App
Longshank
Posted: Sep 27, 2018 - 08:41 pm

World Record Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 118

QUOTE (sabby @ Sep 27, 2018 - 03:18 pm)
QUOTE (xiaolu @ Sep 26, 2018 - 08:23 pm)
QUOTE (sabby @ Sep 26, 2018 - 05:05 pm)
QUOTE (speo @ Sep 25, 2018 - 11:50 am)
On both, phone and tablet, there is no need for data and there is no need for cell service.

You can download the maps at home (using your home wi-fi), save it in the tablet/phone and use the maps on the lake without data plan or cell service.

I do not have a data plan and I use to fish in areas where there is no cell coverage. Works like a charm.

Does cell phone GPS work without data? I've presonally never tried it.

Remove any and all SIM card(s) if any from your cellphone, and then give it try I say?:-)

Google tells me it only works with some phones. I like my lowrance anyway so I'm not going to bother using the phone out on the water.

x 2 on that

PMEmail PosterUsers Website
kingphoenix
Posted: Sep 28, 2018 - 11:47 am

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 10053

Works with no cell service or sim card the gps receiver is a different chip.

When ice fishing i use an old phone that has a cracked screen (no sim), my good phone is in a waterproof pouch in my bag. Download maps and music over wifi at home and it works great out there. Battery lasts a long time because it is not using/searching for a cell signal and has no other apps on it.
(2-3 yr old phones are easy to find cheap, especially with defects like non working speakers/mic or cracked screens. Bonus if it has the same size sim card as your main phone and you can interchange the sims if needed)

The track feature is nice on the ice so you find your way back roughly the same way you came onto the ice. Also you can look back at your travels and drop some marks if you want after, they will sync across your mobile devices.

The new depth shading is very nice.

FYI: I use Google Opinion Rewards (by Google), asks you questions about places you visit in exchange for Google play credits. I get ~$20-$30/ year from the surveys, my goal is to cover the $10/yr navionics.

PMEmail Poster
HardlyCore
Posted: Sep 28, 2018 - 12:04 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 8169

I mount my old Samsung phone , no Sim, to my dash to use the app. Pretty accurate when it comes to finding and avoiding rocks on Kahshe. And there are lots of 'em! It's in a Lifeproof case and I've never had an issue. Anyone into doing anything on the water should by a Lifeproof case for their phone. I have no issue swimming with my phone in my pocket.

PMEmail Poster
icecy
Posted: Sep 30, 2018 - 05:38 pm

Parr Trout

Member No.: 4685

GPS has nothing to do with data service. There was GPS long before smart phones with data services existed.

PMEmail Poster
sabby
Posted: Sep 30, 2018 - 06:15 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 9998

QUOTE (icecy @ Sep 30, 2018 - 05:38 pm)

GPS has nothing to do with data service. There was GPS long before smart phones with data services existed.

Google tells me there are various gps chips used in cell phones and some that depend on data to fine tune position. It's not a question of what technology came along first but a question of how said technology is used.

PMEmail Poster
poidy
  Posted: Oct 01, 2018 - 06:29 am

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 4591

Ok bare with me, not too techie, I have a old Samsung 5 no sim card, now you say just download this app, and it will work out on the lake? I thought you needed cell service?

PMEmail PosterUsers Website
kingphoenix
Posted: Oct 01, 2018 - 11:42 am

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 10053

QUOTE (poidy @ Oct 01, 2018 - 06:29 am)
Ok bare with me, not too techie, I have a old Samsung 5 no sim card, now you say just download this app, and it will work out on the lake? I thought you needed cell service?

When you start the app (at home on wifi) you choose an area and it will download all the maps for that area and then you are good to go.

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Pages: 1 2  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Fishing Lake Simcoe
Fishing forum for Lake Simcoe & Area. Fishing Reports, Current Ice Conditions, Fishing Tips, Discussions & More. Featuring Ice Hut Rentals, Accommodations, Bait & Tackle shops, Marinas and Fishing Guides. The best fishing in Simcoe County!

Marketplace