Hunting Forum Hunting Regulations    
 Members |  Forum Rules |  Search
Pages: 1 2   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Moose Hunters......, All the best for the upcoming hunt!
Newburg007
Posted: Oct 07, 2018 - 08:38 pm

Trophy Trout

Group: Members
Member No.: 10129

Getting packed and "psyched".....
Lots of time, energy, money invested for sure.
All the best to others heading to moose country.

PMEmail Poster
Chevy
Posted: Oct 08, 2018 - 07:23 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 156

Good luck all. Be safe and good shooting.

PMEmail Poster
Newburg007
Posted: Oct 08, 2018 - 08:40 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 10129

I sent this to a buddy who had a close encounter,... and a jammed gun. BAD!
(All in good fun.)

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster
pickerel24
Posted: Oct 10, 2018 - 10:00 am

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 8214

6 DAYS AND COUNTED TO ME LEAVING FOR CAMP.
MY EX-WIFE ALWAYS TOLD ME TO LEAVE EARLY AND GET A GOOD SPOT SO THAT NOBODY ELSE WOULD TAKE IT.
GREAT IDEA BUT I THINK SHE WAS REALY JUST GETTING RID OF ME FOR A COUPLE OF WEEKS SO HER BOY FRIEND COULD VISIT.
BUT ALL IS WELL THAT ENDS WELL LOL
I WOULD RATHER BE NORTH IN THE BUSH THAT AT HOME IN A DIRTY BUSH LMAO
BE SAFE ALL AND GOOD LUCK

PMEmail Poster
poidy
Posted: Oct 12, 2018 - 12:27 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 4591

off to camp Alibi on the 19th, good luck everyone, Git R Done

Attached Image

PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Fishnhunt
Posted: Oct 13, 2018 - 05:37 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 15869

Just got back from our annual moose hunt. We hunt in one of the early rifle season units and tried calling but the moose were not interested. On day seven we cut and chopped a bunch of firewood at camp and half an hour later we heard a bull rubbing antlers on a tree. We headed straight for it but it quit raking and we never found the bull.The weather was cold and snowy or rainy the whole trip and it was a challenge to stay dry. The temp never got above 5 degrees and one night it got below -5 degrees and froze the water in our camper. We tried a new spot the last night on Day nine and while I was walking a skidder trail in the forest I started seeing moose tracks and lots of them! I sat for 20 minutes then continued stalking quietly down the trail .I had only moved 70 yards when I spotted a moose 50 yards away watching me. I slowly raised my gun and shot. The shot felt good! The moose bolted to the left and a big cow I had previously not seen followed the moose I shot at . I ran down my trail because it looked like they were going to cross it and as I rounded a corner ,the moose I shot at (a young bull) ,was staggering on the trail trying to stay standing.I didn’t know where the big cow was and as I was going to finish off the bull ,it reared up on its hind legs and collapsed.

No sooner did the bull go down than the cow came running back on the trail towards the bull to see what was wrong .I thought about it later and the one explanation is that the young bull was her year and a half old calf and she was seeing what was wrong. Since we had tags for a cow and a bull I took the broadside shot she presented and we had two moose down.

It was 5:00 p.m. so we gutted both moose and propped them open to cool. The cow was huge! Any time I’m lucky enough to be in on a moose kill I’m always impressed at their size and this time was no different. It started snowing heavily so we left them to cool for the night.

That night it snowed a foot of new snow so at 8:00 a.m. we started skinning and quartering to load them on the bike to get them back to our trailer. We had to build a trail so we could get the bike to the moose and it was slippery with the snow covering everything. At 2:15 both moose were loaded so we started heading for home. It took us two hours of driving logging roads to get to pavement .

We pointed the truck for home but the roads were slippery and snow covered. In the first 2 hours of driving we saw a pickup and trailer flipped over in the ditch,a two trailer pulp truck in the ditch and across the road and two other accidents. We drove carefully and got home without incident.

This was the toughest hunt weather wise that I’ve been on in the last 5 years but also our most successful. Other years it’s been too hot but this year we hunted two weeks later to hopefully get cooler weather and we got more than we wished for. Another great hunt for the memory bank and a great time spent in the northern bush.

PMEmail Poster
Fossy47
Posted: Oct 13, 2018 - 06:32 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 9546

Great Post! Enjoyed reading of your adventures.

PMEmail Poster
steelheader
Posted: Oct 13, 2018 - 08:23 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 315

Congrats on your hunt , the small obscales we encounter are just part of the venture Enjoy your eats ..

PMEmail Poster
Mr Meat
Posted: Oct 14, 2018 - 06:29 pm

Lunker Trout

Member No.: 15336

Congrats!

PMEmail Poster
poidy
  Posted: Oct 15, 2018 - 07:48 am

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 4591

Nice, I enjoyed that story

PMEmail PosterUsers Website
deerhunter
Posted: Oct 15, 2018 - 08:12 am

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 10322

Great story with a great ending. Congrat's.

PMEmail Poster
Icemanjay
Posted: Oct 15, 2018 - 06:17 pm

Trophy Trout

Member No.: 13620

Great story and congrats! I hope to one day experience a moose hunt like that!

PMEmail Poster
Chevy
Posted: Oct 15, 2018 - 07:13 pm

World Record Trout

Member No.: 156

Felt like I was right there with you FishnHunt. Fantastic hunt and great story. Congrats on a successful hunt.

PMEmail Poster
Fishnhunt
Posted: Oct 19, 2018 - 06:11 am

World Record Trout

Member No.: 15869

Thanks for the replies. I picked up the meat from the butcher yesterday and there was 585 pounds of cut and wrapped meat ..... moose steak this weekend for sure.

PMEmail Poster
steph491
Posted: Oct 22, 2018 - 07:02 am

Adult Trout

Member No.: 2752

Well this year I don’t need to go for a long drive. I went for couple days of relaxation and maintenance at my camp. I always go during moose season because I see them frequently. Can’t get a adulte tag but always have my calf tag in my pocket.

Well this year was my lucky year. I got up at 745, had a quick coffee and decide to go for a walk on my trails to see how many trees came down during the last wind storm. As soon as I reached my food plot, a big cow and her 2 calf where walking away from the field. I quickly did a bull call and the cow stop and the two calf also. One calf was hidden behind small bushes. But the other gave me a neck shot at 85yds. Bang! Down he went and my hunt is done in 12 minutes.

I’m hunting alone so a calf to feed my family is more then enough and good meat.

Pretty happy. And now I have all the time in the world to do my maintenance around the camp.

Life is good

Attached Image

PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Pages: 1 2  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

ICX Carbon Ice
Fishing Reel

WintePro Insulated
Fishing Gloves

Crampons Ice Cleats
for Winter Boots

Frabill Hub Shelter

Rapala Jigging